Add RAM data to browser tabs in Firefox

Batu69

This article about a Firefox add-on that shows you tab RAM consumption. Tab Data is another add-on that you can check tab RAM consumption with. However, this extension adds the RAM data to the tabs and includes graphs.

Tab-Data-620x421.png?2163a8

The tab data on your tabs shows you RAM consumption in megabytes. Those tabs with higher RAM consumption switch to a red text color as above.

To open the RAM graphs, press the Tab Data button on Firefox’s toolbar. That opens the small window in the snapshot below. Click the Graph button to open a line graph of your tab data. The graph shows you the RAM allocation for your open tabs.

tab-data2.png?2163a8

Press the Counts button for further tab data. That shows you how many tabs you have open and how many you’ve opened during the session.

tab-data3.png?2163a8

For further options, press the Settings button. Then you can select some of the extra options shown below. Click Graph Type to choose an alternative tab graph such as bar, polar or radar.

tab-data4.png?2163a8

Perform a garbage collection is another option on that page. That’s an option which frees up RAM from greedy tabs. So press the Run button to free up some tab RAM.

Overall, this add-on is a handy addition to Firefox. With it you can instantly check your tab RAM data without opening any separate pages.

Download Tab Data (+Memory usage): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-data/

Credit to: http://dottech.org/

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
smallhagrid

Just FYI, from the add-on's own reviews:

CPU usage spikes and Firefox shuddering every time it checks usage Rated 1 out of 5 stars

by pixionus on April 24, 2015

This addon will use run one of my cores up to 100% and cause firefox to "stall" during it's memory usage checks. If you change the frequency of the checks, you will see the stalls change accordingly. Without the Addon everything works smoothly on my I7.

Likely needs a bit more polishing up so as to be a better help for folks...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived