Silly Little IP Tricks

Reefa

I'll show you a few things you do with IP addresses you may not know yet.

Octal values

For instance, did you know that if you prefix an IP address with 0's, they get treated like Octal values? Spot the conversion in the ping below.

$ ping 193.239.211.036PING 193.239.211.036 (193.239.211.30): 56 data bytesRequest timeout for icmp_seq 0...

You would've expected the ping request to go to the IP ending in .36, instead if went to .30. Why? Because 036 is actually the octal value for the decimal 30.

Straight Up Integers

IP addresses are formed out of binary sequences, we know this. The binary forms get translate to decimals, for readability.

$ ping 3253719844PING 3253719844 (193.239.211.36): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 193.239.211.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=17.003 ms...

Pinging to an integer, like 3253719844, actually works. In the background, it's converted to the real IP notation of 193.239.211.36.

Let's Hex It

You probably saw this coming. If you can ping the integer notation of an IP, would the HEX value work?

$ ping 0xC1EFD324PING 0xC1EFD324 (193.239.211.36): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 193.239.211.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=18.277 ms...

Yup!

If you ever want to have fun with a junior colleague, think of these examples. Especially the octal values are very easy to miss, if you place the leading zeros somewhere in the middle.

Oh and if you decide to test these examples, you'll be pinging one of our nameservers. No harm, feel free to. :P

https://ma.ttias.be/silly-little-ip-tricks/

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

??????????????????????????????????????? Way above my head!!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wtf: Nice to learn some new things :D

hahaha... Funny but maybe useful some time in the future B)

stylemessiah

I remember the days of dialup, and working for an ISP where we all had shell accounts,, and we used the best ping trick ever

When we found a user who couldnt auth to their unlimited account (they were locked to a single login so people couldnt share them with others, obviously), we would ping them with a ping garaunteed to produce a brown trouser moment. They never logged back on.

So what was the ping trick?

Well on a linux box you can send a pattern encoded into the ping or ping -p and as mentioned above hex encode things :)

So we would send an ATH0 (hangup, combined with a pause and then an ATDT and three zeros...which in Australia is the emergency services or police :)

End result, they would get disconnected, and after a short pause the next thing they would hear through the modem speaker was someone asking "Police, Fire or Ambulance"

Sometimes we'd vary it with making it dial our own office IVR and loop them through it to us so we could chastise them :)

I miss those days :)

I used it on more than a few occasions, enough to have it made into a shell script :)

I think form memory the only modem chipset it wouldnt work on was USR (US Robotics), but anyone with a Rockwell or LT Winmodem could be totally owned :)

• 1 month later...
knowledge-Spammer

i wood show u all somethings but can not as it may get removed by admins and ill get in trouble but if u keep a eye out i may post some new toys we can we play with soon

Archived