Businessman wins e-mail spam case.

Tomez

A businessman has won what is believed to be the first victory of its kind by claiming damages from a company which sent him e-mail spam.

Nigel Roberts, who lives in Alderney in the Channel Islands, took action against Media Logistics UK over junk e-mails in his personal account.

Under new European laws, companies can be sued for sending unwanted e-mails.

The Stirlingshire-based firm has agreed to pay £270 compensation to Mr Roberts, who runs an internet business.

'Tiny victory'

Three years ago the EU passed an anti-spam law, the directive on privacy and telecommunications, which gave individuals the right to fight the growing tide of unwanted e-mail by allowing them to claim damages.

Mr Roberts received unwanted e-mail adverts for a contract car firm and a fax broadcasting business and decided to take action against the company.

The company filed an acknowledgement of the claim at Colchester County Court but did not defend it and a judge ruled in favour of Mr Roberts.

In an out-of-court agreement Media Logistics agreed to pay Mr Roberts damages of £270 plus his £30 filing fee.

Mr Roberts said he had limited his claim to a maximum of £300 in order to qualify to file it as a small claim.

He said: "This may be a tiny victory but perhaps now spammers will begin to realise that people don't have to put up with their e-mail inboxes being filled with unwanted junk."

No-one from Media Logistics UK was available for comment.

A spokesman for the Information Commissioner's Office, the watchdog who oversees the Data Protection Act, said it was the first case of its kind he had heard of.

He said: "What I can say is that I haven't heard of anyone doing so and we haven't taken a case under that legislation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/4562726.stm

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so he used his isp email address to sign up at sites and then complain about the emails. mistake number 1. next he is unable to use the unscribe option on emails. mistake number 2. then he is unable to use the filter system to get rid of what he considers spam. mistake number 3. no doubt his company sucks and he spent more time and money going after the junk emailer. if you have stock in his company yo umight want to sell ;)

so he used his isp email address to sign up at sites and then complain about the emails.  mistake number 1.  next he is unable to use the unscribe option on emails.  mistake number 2.  then he is unable to use the filter system to get rid of what he considers spam.  mistake number 3.  no doubt his company sucks and he spent more time and money going after the junk emailer.  if you have stock in his company yo umight want to sell :lol:

no shit, isnt it illegal if you cant unsubscribe? sometimes spam companies wont provide an unsubscribe opition in the e-mails or main website and you are stuck with them.

btw I used to get spam and I have never given out my e-mail address. sometimes software you regester (providing it is bought legally), you think you can trust sell your e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, ect... to make money. I learned about this in a business course.

Archived