Remove Utorrent Ads in one click with "Pimp My Utorrent"

hihello

Run µtorrent, goto this link from your browser and click on "Pimp My µTorrent" and grant the permission in µTorrent.

More information:

Hoping to increase its revenues, BitTorrent Inc. added advertisements to the popular uTorrent client two years ago. What many people don't know though, is that these ads can be disabled by diving into the advanced settings. "Pimp my uTorrent" now comes with a one click solution to make this process less cumbersome.

utorrent-logo-new.jpg

When BitTorrent Inc. announced its plan to add advertising to its flagship uTorrent client a small user revolt broke out.

The people complaining were mostly annoyed that there would be no option to disable the ads. Luckily, BitTorrent listened to the feedback and decided that users would indeed get a chance to opt-out from the ads.

Despite the initial complaints, nowadays most users probably aren’t aware of the opt-out settings. uTorrent previously reported that it’s serving billions of ads per month, quite a significant number.

Even for those users who do know, uTorrent doesn’t make it very easy for them to remove the ads. They will have to mess with the advanced settings, search for the relevant variables, and change them one by one.

The developer of the torrent optimized TV-calendar DuckieTV was confronted with this issue a few days ago when he introduced a friend to BitTorrent. After first installing uTorrent, he noticed that the client was littered with ads he disabled himself a long time ago.

utorrentads.jpg

After manually changing several settings to strip the ads, he came up with the idea to automate the process.

“I turned them off for my friend, and decided to try and see if I could automate the process the next day,” Schizoduckie tells TF.

For DuckieTV, the developer previously reverse-engineered BitTorrent’s Torque and BtApp.js tools, which are able to talk to uTorrent via the browser. He therefore decided to see if the same code could also be used to change uTorrent’s settings.

“I remembered that BitTorrent previously ran an experiment with btApp.js that fiddled with settings, so all I needed to do was hook up the settings functionality in my library and set up a page so users can disable ads in one click,” Schizoduckie says.

Fast forward a few hours and “Pimp my uTorrent” was born.

pimpmut.png

Pimp my uTorrent literally requires just one click to disable the ads on Windows clients. There is nothing to install as the page uses JavaScript to communicate with uTorrent.

After the “pimping” is done, uTorrent might need to be restarted before the changes are visible. People who are not happy with the result have an option to reverse them with another click.

It can’t get much simpler than that.

Those who are interested in what the tool does can inspect the relevant variables here. A more detailed overview of all ad related settings and how these can be changed is available in the uTorrent forums.

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive not seen ads on utorrent for a long (long) time.
TRY THIS (works on bit torrent too)

open options/preferences/advanced
scroll down to these 3 entries (next to each other):-

offers.content_offer_autoexec
offers.left_rail_offer_enabled
offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

set (change) their values to "false", and click "ok"
close, then restart the app

and there you are. enjoy

ive not seen ads on utorrent for a long (long) time.

TRY THIS (works on bit torrent too)

open options/preferences/advanced

scroll down to these 3 entries (next to each other):-

offers.content_offer_autoexec

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

set (change) their values to "false", and click "ok"

close, then restart the app

and there you are. enjoy

This modification won't be useful on new version of uTorrent.

For years I have been using this to disable ads in uTorrent but it is just not enough.

Not sure how this hack work, but will try it.

Thanks for link.

EDIT:

just analyzed code of Pimp my uTorrent and see that nothing special except it can be modified manualy...

For me it is no enough...will stay with almost perfect 3.3.2 version...

Edit again :lol:

After some investigations and modifications using advanced settings (some of offered settings by Pimp my uTorrent are actually not exist in latest version of uTorrent) I finaly make uTorrent to look nice B)

Almost nice as older version (can not remove upgrade to Pro).

Not used provided link to Pimp my uTorrent at all, just settings found on their script.

If someone want to use it please do so, and below is picture what uTorrent should look like after modifications.

http://postimg.org/image/si3wvnw8l/

Once ads have been removed (never mind how you get there), you can pack up your 'settings.dat' in a Zip or RAR Archive to keep it that way.

Your settings.dat will also preserve your other settings. (If you include 'resume.dat' in such an Archive, you covered the whole backup).

Right-click on a program shortcut and go to 'Open file location' to get it done.

After an update, Extract your settings.dat again and that's all. Will work for uTorrent and Bittorrent.

Mine :)

You can remove black background from left pane ^_^

It will definitely look batter without black background.

EDIT:

Just saw that you don't have Upgrade to Pro option.

Did you crack uTorrent or you found some other method to remove it from left pane?

Archived