A debate about promoting threads!

Laryy

Dear friends,

Recently I have got the VIP status. I am very happy, but I guess that a debate about promoting threads is welcome!

In my opinion we should reengineering this system. Why ?

I've got this status after 750 posts.
The question is that whoever will post 750 nonsense things will get the vip status or veteran after more posts?
I think that I have posted more useful things, but, Yes, I reckon that I said, sometimes nonsense.

I guess that the status should be according with user's feedback , I mean the number of likes / thanks.
Even if, I ought to lose my current status. Can be excepted admins / mods / staff.

Update :

A poll about this subject is available here ! Please choose your preference ! :)

What is your opinion on this subject?
I hope that I have not broken the forum rules with this discussion.

Best Regards,
Laryy

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likes / Thanks are also subjective...

I'd like to take both into account, but that's not technically possible at the moment.

Likes/thanks are not and incentive to get no one to contribute . Back when I was on Appznet in the software section only me and one other person who is member here as well really posted in that section at all and no one tired to become and elite much . And we got thanks all the time . That and the fact people from blogs trying reupload what we post for money and the fact its not exactly legal in most places is why i retied from helping the WEB scene much . :P

Back when I was on Appznet
why i retired from helping the WEB scene

And you were of an immense help back in the good ol appznet days :)

Likes / Thanks are also subjective...

I'd like to take both into account, but that's not technically possible at the moment.

they are also a "fake" way of "getting promoted" as you sir are (i am sure) well aware of! Your welcome! :)

750 posts shows loyalty and commitment!

Yes, but the quantity it isn't the same with the quality!

Quality (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder. All may not see things the same!

Really regardless of what title people have .. You want find many people like I use to be and like Laryy , Astron and ARMOUR are now that keep the software section updated . Here while back there were some worried because some filehost got banned and seems like it snapped back now with mostly good links.

If you take titles away based on likes/thanks then you have a few with titles and a bunch of people not contributing just like it was at appznet . You cant make no one do what they don't want to do.

When people argue with me about why i don't post warez anymore it just makes me want to do it less . Plus there's other sections of the board thats not warez related . Its hard to get anyone to contribute in those anymore . This is a community site. As far as warez most of the stuff I use is posted on te front page and I already have cures or will find them regardless if i sign in anywhere or not . :)

Good members stick out and are noticed not by any post count or any button someone pushed

That's very well said! And for the post count thing, I am at least satisfied that those damnable "thanks" posts can no longer be used by members to up their status.

Good members stick out and are noticed not by any post count or any button someone pushed

That's very well said! And for the post count thing, I am at least satisfied that those damnable "thanks" posts can no longer be used by members to up their status.

Agreed!.....I see members that bend over backwards to help make this forum what it is and go out of their way to help others....A status under their name means nothing to me...I don't need to see any kind of status to know they're good people.

Likes/thanks are not and incentive to get no one to contribute . Back when I was on Appznet in the software section only me and one other person who is member here as well really posted in that section at all and no one tired to become and elite much . And we got thanks all the time . That and the fact people from blogs trying reupload what we post for money and the fact its not exactly legal in most places is why i retied from helping the WEB scene much . :P

Exactly just post what you find informative..Hopefully it will always help someone.. :rolleyes: Peace..

Let me rephrase that not to offend none of the old appznet members .Appznet was not always like that when I 1st joined it was many elites and mods there were active at posting software even the owner would post it . but right before I Left it was only me and one other person who started most of the topics in shareware .

I got to were I didn't really want to post it before I left I went and started posting in the freeware. section mostly . It went from being very exciting to boring . :( After over 12000 post I got burned out .

I paid my dues already and the reason I was not a mod there I refused it I hate board politics . But when I do share with people anything its always been just to be nice. That's what amazes me here, why make a big deal about 750 post ?

I had over a 1000 on warez bb in 2006/2007 before my name got stole and I'm still a member there but not active, then went on to have like 12000 at appznet , 750 post is nothing to me . Posting is a two edge sword . I got so burned out that I didn't post no were for a few years. :D

I like reading and posting the news now days .And Ive always visited the front page here even when I was not posting at all. This is a great site even if i didn't log in at all Ive always liked it.

I like reading and posting the news now days .And Ive always visited the front page here even when I was not posting at all. This is a great site even if i didn't log in at all Ive always liked it.

Keep posting fellow.. Its what its all about.. ;)

Guest Cerberus

The ol appznet days....I can remember even further then that. I have no objections one way or the other on the post count. I post what I post and that is what I do. I try to help where I can and if I don't know, I will say that. I really don't care about status but sharing useful info. That is what this is really about, sharing. Like the song says...sharing is caring. :)

sharing is caring

I thought when you share, it means it works both ways you both should give . like p2p that's really file sharing. But if you upload on a board to file host it don't take you long to figure out its more of a one way street . You will share with many people who will never share back . I knew people who frequent Appznet, this board and others who never shared nothing in the 8 years I been around the web scene . :lol:

Supremo Phantom

first ... congrats on being recognized as a VIP member .. you have earned it through all your contributions here.

about your question, I think that quality of contributions is as important as quantity of posts...

the best thing about this forum is that it recognizes "genuine" contributors .. it is not just about how much you shared on the forum in the different sections, it is also about how much you helped out other members by any useful information shared here. the admins and mods here are truly very helpful and friendly.

i know a lot of members here from different forums who have earned a name around the web scene because of their contributions in various forms, so much so that their fame precedes them when they join here with their well known nick names. at that time, their post count doesn't matter, the team knows them through their reputation in the web scene.

so, I would say.. there are a lot more parameters that a moderating team considers when awarding a rank to a member ...

quality of posts

quantity of posts

no of likes/thanks

member's personality/behavior/helpfulness on the forum with other members

member's reputation in the web scene world

some parameters are tangible, while others are subjective and based on combined opinions from the mod team..

you can not poll on the non-tangible parameters.. and polling on just 2 things ... no of posts or no of thanks ... i would say there is a lot more here to witness than what meets the eye.

so once again, congrats and enjoy your new rank. :)

As you know @Laryy achieving 750 posts is not that easy of a task, it is quite time consuming creating posts weather you post pictures, copy and past other peoples work or share software. Everyone has their own thing and contribute as they can. Of course there are loop holes and some people choose the easy way but most of these members aren't around for very long, they ether give up, get banned or regular members put them in there place, In my opinion promoting members according to the number of likes/thanks they get is not the answer.wile it might seem like a good idea, this may cause many problems. A fair and impartial system already exists and is equal for everyone. Good members stick out and are noticed not by any post count or any button someone pushed

People abuse like/thanks to gang up and troll people they have a resentment toward so I seen it abused by people who hang in clicks here. And people also abuse the Rate Topic someone has resentment against me and abusing that . So if they can't use simple features on the broad without abusing them . How could ever you trust likes or thanks were many were giving out of abuse? I liked it better back before boards had such silly features for people to abuse .All of this was added as a incentive to get people to contribute more and to stop spam in post with just thank yous.. but when you have some abusing the system it has the opposite effect it makes people not want to contribute.

750 post count is automatic promotion to VIP members group but post counts have been adjusted in the past. That's one reason we encourage everyone to use the Like/Thanks button thereby reducing the quantity of "thanks" posts.

750 post count is automatic promotion to VIP members group but post counts have been adjusted in the past. That's one reason we encourage everyone to use the Like/Thanks button thereby reducing the quantity of "thanks" posts.

Yes I remember when they added it here ..It was to cut down on spam .. But some were raising there post count by telling people not to say thanks and abusing that they were doing very same thing as the person who said thanks by telling not say to thanks and raising there post count . :)

Archived