How to remove ntuser.ini and desktop.ini in Windows ?

hp owner

I am having Windows Vista and Windows 7 OS. After showing the Hidden Files and Protected System Files, in Windows Vista so many ntuser.ini is created and in Windows 7 so many desktop.ini is created. If I delete them, they are automatically created. Sometimes they are blank file also without any information.

My requirement is to remove them permanently. I don't know whether this deletion will harm my OS or not.

I have found one Registry Tweak and I think it is working for ntuser.ini is created and in Windows 7. The tweak is as follow:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"UseDesktopIniCache"=dword:00000000

Is there any Registry Tweak for ntuser.ini.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why do you think that they should be deleted?
And what do you think, what would happen at all, if to destroy them?

The best option is to remove Windows, and they no longer exist, and they are not necessary anymore.

hp owner,

The most common use of the desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon to a folder. This icon will be displayed in Classic style as well as Web style, and it will appear next to the folder's name anywhere the name appears. You can also use desktop.ini to create an infotip that displays information about the folder and controls some aspects of the folder's behavior, such as whether it can be shared.
ntuser.in is a hidden file in Documents and Settings\<username>. There is one for each user account on the machine and is used to set up the user roaming profile components.

My opinion is to leave them alone.

As @ Chatman correctly mentions these are essential system files related to Windows OS & should be left alone.

Have display file extensions enabled along with Show hidden Files Folders & Drives, but only display Hidden Protected Operating System files when you require additional manual diagnostic auditing.

just tell the truth about this files and stop telling this and that.

these files are needed to tell windows where to find folders and icons to display the correct way.

keep this files (they are needed to correct functions to windows folders.)

my 2 cents.

as a example if you cut a folder in windows the destop ini files goes with it and tells windows where it is located !

I am having Windows Vista and Windows 7 OS. After showing the Hidden Files and Protected System Files, in Windows Vista so many ntuser.ini is created and in Windows 7 so many desktop.ini is created. If I delete them, they are automatically created. Sometimes they are blank file also without any information.

My requirement is to remove them permanently. I don't know whether this deletion will harm my OS or not.

I have found one Registry Tweak and I think it is working for ntuser.ini is created and in Windows 7. The tweak is as follow:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"UseDesktopIniCache"=dword:00000000

Is there any Registry Tweak for ntuser.ini.

As already stated leave them. Also may I suggest you re-hide the files, as you may also accidently remove system files and borx your system.

It will not harm you computer but it will make it ugly:D

Not recommended to remove it, just like other members already said you will not gain any speed, memory or whatever you think you will get because those files are only few kB in size.

But you can backup it and try to some folders, just to see what you can get by removing it.

If you explire deeply in windows you can actually see that windows if full of duplicates, stupid icons you will never use, but it is windows and you should forget about making it perfect.

Use hdd with high capacity, defragmenter and enjoy in some other stuff, windows use whenever you have to:D

Archived