administrator access

RKP

Hi all,

A small problem. I have been given a pc with limited user access in windows xp sp3 x86. I want to install a software namely origin but to install it i need admin rights. I can run as administrator but i dont know the admin password and nobody around knows i guess. I just have this limited account whose password i know. Is there anyway i can install the software as it is really important... Thank You.

PS: Not my pc...just a pc at an institute.

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all,

A small problem. I have been given a pc with limited user access in windows xp sp3 x86. I want to install a software namely origin but to install it i need admin rights. I can run as administrator but i dont know the admin password and nobody around knows i guess. I just have this limited account whose password i know. Is there anyway i can install the software as it is really important... Thank You.

Try logging off after Windows starts, then press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. It should bring up an admin account. Try logging on to the Admin acct that way.

Administrator is the admin and has full rights, so if u can run as administrator then u can do anything u need/want to do; so don't understand the question.

Hi all,

Try logging off after Windows starts, then press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. It should bring up an admin account. Try logging on to the Admin acct that way.

I dont know the admin password. Thats the whole problem.

is it possible without doing any changes to the admin account?? i dont want to fish around too much...at least not by resetting the admin password...knew about this....but didnt want to use it... :huh:

• Administrator

Its not possible to install applications that require admin access unless you have admin access or you know an admin account details.

That's an article on a different issue, it's not related to your problem, as Lite already mentioned, what you want to do is 'impossible'(brute forcing the admin password would be the only 'option').

Bizarre™

@RKP:

NT Pass Reset is your only choice at the moment.

Well, another possible choice for you is to ask the Admin to elevate your account privileges.

I guess there's no harm in doing that.

usually there is no admin pasword.. just logoff > type control-alt-del twice, type administrator as username and leave password blanc

• 2 weeks later...

Linux Ubuntu can do it but i don't know how

:lol:

@Bizarre: If he reset Admin pass, then he's changig something.

And

@Shmit: If one Linux could extract Admin pass, there were millions of toold that could do the same cause code is public, and there wouldn't be necessary to use Linux, there would be a DOS tool to extract it, there would be included in all BootCDs. Resetting is very different than extracting.

I'd tried to do what dumble suggest. As Admin accound isn't a very used account (a clean WinXP forces you to create another admin account at installation), it's usually left without pass. So 2x(Ctrl+Alt+Del)@Logon, login as "Administrator" with blank pass might work, then he can change his personal account from limited to admin.

Another solution might be a keylogger (pirate mode ON)

@Jota.Ce:

Well, another possible choice for you is to ask the Admin to elevate your account privileges.

Starting a "You said" battle xDDDDDDDDDDDD

NT Pass Reset is your only choice at the moment.

@Jota.Ce:

My first post was...

Try using NT Pass Reset to access the Admin account. Then try changing your account to Admin.

RKP's reply was...

is it possible without doing any changes to the admin account?? i dont want to fish around too much...at least not by resetting the admin password...knew about this....but didnt want to use it... :yes:

In my latest reply, I told RKP about another possible choice, since he already knew the method I presented to him :)

So you see, in Post #10 Paragraph #1, with regards to RKP's last reply, I presented NT Pass Reset as a feasible method, not as the only method. Going back to Post #10, in Paragraph #2, I believe I presented another method: ask the Admin.

I was just about to say that Biz. I didnt think Jota was being serious :yes:

@Jota.Ce:

It's no big and no harm done... just the usual friendly conversation among hyperactive nsane peepz ^_^

Use Ophcrack to get your admin password

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

burn to disk and run from there, the password will appear.

Do you know if:

- It works always ?

- In how much time ?

PD: No problem, Bizarre ;)

Use Ophcrack to get your admin password

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

burn to disk and run from there, the password will appear.

Do you know if:

- It works always ?

- In how much time ?

PD: No problem, Bizarre ;)

I have used it before, it works.

Always?........depend....I don't use it THAT often. :cheers:

In how much time?.......it took me about 10 minutes, upon booting up from disk.

I saw you can download various versions, depending of which charset you want to use, but it seems OK as it extracts admin pass at 99% of probability in most cases.

Archived