Network cable functionality

Hitman6267

Hitman6267

In order to put my dsl modem in a better place to get a better wifi coverage in the house, I had to connect it to my pc in the following manner.

PC > Switch > DSL Modem

The network cable between my pc and the switch is old and I was wondering if that might affect my internet connection. I pinged my dsl modem and i got a minimum of 1ms , a maximum of 2ms and an average of 1ms. Is that normal ?

I can't say for sure if this setup is affecting my internet connection because it wasn't stable and reliable to begin with.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order to put my dsl modem in a better place to get a better wifi coverage in the house, I had to connect it to my pc in the following manner.

PC > Switch > DSL Modem

The network cable between my pc and the switch is old and I was wondering if that might affect my internet connection. I pinged my dsl modem and i got a minimum of 1ms , a maximum of 2ms and an average of 1ms. Is that normal ?

I can't say for sure if this setup is affecting my internet connection because it wasn't stable and reliable to begin with.

Well the ping seems normal, no packet loss?

What network cable is it, I guess a Cat5 and it's pretty common but Cat5e is the "standard" I don't think the cable is the problem but the DSL or the switch try upgrading the firmwares!

Hitman6267

I'm not saying there's a problem (I can't tell because my internet connection isn't good) I just wanted to make sure that the ping is normal.

The modem has the latest firmware,does a switch have the option of upgrading firmware ? Does it have an interface that I can access like the modem's ?

I'm not saying there's a problem (I can't tell because my internet connection isn't good) I just wanted to make sure that the ping is normal.

The modem has the latest firmware,does a switch have the option of upgrading firmware ? Does it have an interface that I can access like the modem's ?

I don't know how advanced switch you have don't think it's a layer 3 or so but google your model?

Well do you only use a switch and you have several computers connected to the internet without a router, do your ISP give more than one IP?

You should try cFossSpeed to optimize the connection, I use even though I have a router which NATs my trafic.

Hitman6267

I don't think any of that is necessary, u said the ping is normal so I'm going to take that as there's nothing wrong. Thank you for your help :welcome:

Well Ok but you should check if you can login to your modem and see if the FEC, HEC or CRC values are too high.

Archived