windowblinds

Guest elc0173

Guest elc0173

alright, ive been using windowblinds for about a week, using the Aura skin. its worked great, but last night i put my computer on standby, and when i started back up it was running REALLY slow, and all my windows werent showing up right (buttons were missing, top bar wasnt showing up) so i unloaded windowblinds, its running normal again... but i cant use windowblinds anymore, it just slows down and gets all screwy. i looked through all the settings, and it doesnt look like theres been any changes... so now im left sitting here annoyed and confused.... has anyone else had any problems with windowblinds, or have any ideas how to fix it?

• Replies 28
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

HEY, I have the same problem to.. I thought my comptuer was messed up until I switched back to Classic Mode and then everything was just fine.. so I htink WindowBlinds is bleh!'

And yeah the only things that got all screwy were just the applications Borders.. I mean within the folders the Folders would show up just normal it is the folders background/border that got all screwy and black... and SLOW

Here is a link: Information on the Screwy-ness

HEY, I have the same problem to.. I thought my comptuer was messed up until I switched back to Classic Mode and then everything was just fine.. so I htink WindowBlinds is bleh!'

And yeah the only things that got all screwy were just the applications Borders.. I mean within the folders the Folders would show up just normal it is the folders background/border that got all screwy and black... and SLOW

Here is a link: Information on the Screwy-ness

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I uninstalled that piece of crap. It's a waste of memory useage. Stylexp is better IMO.

I have been a strong supporter of WinBlinds...

But unfortunately I think I also had this iss lately...

It was all working fine for around 15 days...

it just popped up...(This thing happened at my work, where many people loggin to my system, so I exactly do not know if it related to anything that they did or not)

The software at my home is working fine...

I have just Uninstalled WinBlinds in safe mode...

Not tried to reinstall and check...

SacredCultivator

It seems the thing that caused the problem is with a Update Conflict that was caused by Windows... One of the Updates conflicted with a File with the WindowBlinds which causes it to screw up.

Guest elc0173

but now im more confused... because i have my updates turned off... does that mean windows is just updating no matter what i do? i dont want my os updated damnit!

i went to that link... and i just tried this:

To remove that windows update, do the following:

My Computer > Tools > View tab > select "Show hidden files and folders" > click "Apply".

Go to C:\WINDOWS,  and find the file named "$NtUninstallKB910437$" > double-click the file to open > double-click the "spuninst" folder > double-click the "spuninst" Microsoft service pack uninstaller to start the process.

but only one problem... i couldnt find the file... lol

oh well, ill keep my eyes on that link, hopefully a (real) answer will come up soon.....

SacredCultivator

Hmm are you sure? That is weird because I see it but do not feel like uninstalling as it pops-up a window that says it could make a LOT of programs that can be messed up if it is uninstalled... So yeah.. I do not think there will be a 'Fix' for it... UNLESS another Version is released and that solves it... As yeah... The makers of WindowBlinds did say that only Legit Copies are 'fool-proof' of the messed up ness...

Don't worry about it, I can't click on any folders, compressed zips or standard zip folders. It just terminates Explorer and reboots itself.

WB sucks.

Guest elc0173
Hmm are you sure? That is weird because I see it but do not feel like uninstalling as it pops-up a window that says it could make a LOT of programs that can be messed up if it is uninstalled... So yeah.. I do not think there will be a 'Fix' for it... UNLESS another Version is released and that solves it... As yeah... The makers of WindowBlinds did say that only Legit Copies are 'fool-proof' of the messed up  ness...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yup, im sure... its definitly not there. are you running xp home? because it might not be in pro... and if your running pro, then im completely lost again.....

but i highly doubt it has anything at all to do with pirated copy's, especially since someone had a copy that wasnt 'cracked', they just got the serial from a friend... so there would be no reason their copy would screw up and not the 'legit' users......

SacredCultivator

Yeah I use XP Pro... So there might be a difference there...

Also yeah I do understand what you are saying I am just 'clarifying' what I read from the forums.. Because if his friend BOUGHT it and lent it to his friend.. 'technically' his friend has a legit copy to... So not really sure what happened there.

Now from what I have learnt so far is that....

it seems like the cracks were like alarm clocks set to go off on 18th. setting back the date seemed to work for someone....

I think it was crippling explorer...

This can only happen if you downloaded a copy of our software illegally (copyright infringement) and installed a crack to bypass the activation system (illegal)
Legit Copy:

Wbsrv.dll 2005/11/28 15:52:00

Wbconfig.exe 2005/11/28 16:19:00

Warez Copy:

Wbsrv.dll 2005/12/03 04:03:40

Wbconfig.exe 2005/12/03 04:03:36

Now if we dont have a Legit copy, we should certainly not be cursing StarDock for coming out with this Plan...

Greg:

WB sucks.

Now I see that we have 1 more crack released which does work...

Not tested it yet myself....

But hopefully the Crackers must have realised from their mistakes..

Guest elc0173
Now from what I have learnt so far is that....

it seems like the cracks were like alarm clocks set to go off on 18th. setting back the date seemed to work for someone....

the way i understand this, it was not the crack with the 'alarm clock'... WB was programed to check for cracks, and if it came up cracked, then it screwed everything up....

i am now thinking theres a possibility stardock may have released the crack, so that they can say its due to piracy and the only way to fix it is to give them $20... great way to 'force' noobs into buying their software.... just a thought.....

Now I see that we have 1 more crack released which does work...

Not tested it yet myself....

But hopefully the Crackers must have realised from their mistakes..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im ganna go look for this new crack now... hopefully this one will be a bit more permenant (sp?)..........

edit: i turned my time back to '04, works fine now... im not ganna bother lookin for the new crack, i know what year it is lol

SacredCultivator

Hehe I went looking and had no luck... So I suppose I could just Change my Year back a few and reinstall it and hope that it works =)

Thanks for the tip -_-

Hehe I went looking and had no luck... So I suppose I could just Change my Year back a few and reinstall it and hope that it works =)

Thanks for the tip -_-

As I mentioned there is a new Patch....

Sent the link....

Guest elc0173

Thanks for the tip -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no need to reinstall.... just unload windowblinds (which you probably have already done) set your time back, and go back and hit apply settings....

zeus_hunt, have you tried the new patch? does it work? and who made it? (so i know exactly what to look for)

SacredCultivator

The new patch DOES work I have tried but I do not know if the Slow Start Up is normal becuase it takes a while before my Computer is up and running as when it starts up... there is quite a LONG delay before the speed is 'normal'

doesnt matter if its a real copy or not, software shouldnt be made to mess your system up. just that software should stop running. when software purposely messes other stuff up that is illegal and criminal in some countries. it is never good to have a bomb in your software for you, the actually software maker, might mess up and have it release on legal copies.

then to have a fix you have to pay for? that sounds like the adware scams that when you type "google or ebay" you go to their website to buy a cure.

it also as bad as a anti virus company getting caught making and releasing viruses.

oh Cultivator your startup should have like 4 or 5 blue bars that go across your screen during startup. if you are having lot more as in minutes your harddrive may be going now. uninstall the stuff and defrag. good luck. i would think that something that messes up your system will cause harddrive damage too. might need to just format and do a fresh windows xp installment.

doesnt matter if its a real copy or not, software shouldnt be made to mess your system up.  just that software should stop running.  when software purposely messes other stuff up that is illegal and criminal in some countries.  it is never good to have a bomb in your software for you, the actually software maker, might mess up and have it release on legal copies.

correct, you can't make a product that purposely damages someone elses property. just like you can't set booby traps to stop burglars from breaking in your house -_-

Guest elc0173
it also as bad as a anti virus company getting caught making and releasing viruses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

funny you should mention that... i remember reading something about anti-virus companies hiring people to make viruses that their anti-virus will pick up, then release them so that they sell more copies..... kinda off topic but i thought it should be posted....

SacredCultivator

Hehe I didn't mean that part of Startup.. I meant after theloading screena dn your Desktop shows.. It loads all my Icons that start up automatically but then. after that it starts to lag a bit before I can normally use my Comptuer and when I check the Task Manager.. Says 100% CPU Usage yet none of the Programs listed are using much except for System Idle Task which is normal...

Hehe I didn't mean that part of Startup.. I meant after theloading screena dn your Desktop shows.. It loads all my Icons that start up automatically but then. after that it starts to lag a bit before I can normally use my Comptuer and when I check the Task Manager.. Says 100% CPU Usage yet none of the Programs listed are using much except for System Idle Task which is normal...

i was going to bring this up in a new topic thread but oh well.

i just fired my firewall sygate for being connected to time warner telecom. you see all those port 443 in ip blocker like pg2? you go to sygate website and you get time warner telecom port 80's. now i dont know if time warner telecom is different from time warner. but i dont like port 443's. i was seeing that on emule too.

even having sygate off but still on the computer i get the port 443 with newsleecher but not agent for newsgroups. i switch to outpost firewall. it doesnt like sygate even when its turn off. it took a long time loading up like you said above. i oh course finally uninstall sygate totally.

also taking a long screen icon on the desktop could be auto scans running? or maybe damage files. if you are still having the problem something is wrong and it will lead to blue screen of death or lock up.

how much ram you using and type of computer ei chip. a lot of stuff laods at startup? n use search and destory or spy sweeper to check startup programs

SacredCultivator

I currently us 1.0GB of RAM... Also chip? Ehh not a hardware person so I will go with: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

LOl and when you say use SpySweeper to check start up programs.. what you mean? Becuase I do not use SpySweepers Shield Protection.. so I manually do my Spyware Scans...

Port 443 = SSL

i know one of the http ports. but it should not be calling home, exspecially port 443. sygate had a nasty habit of doing that if i used certain software like newsleecher. is time warner telecom part of time warner?

Cultivator i meant programs that like or set to auto scan at startup. like anti virus and spyware scans. i found even with install programs on the harddrive but not even running that other programs will complain. ie outpost firewall not likeing that sygate firewall is still on the harddrive even though off. game settlers 3 i remember didnt start if you had first aid or certain anti virus software on your system.

something on your system is not likely another program im thinking. a list of your stuff at startup or hijack this list, to one of the admins or mods here in a pm might be thing to do.

I think what Lite was trying to say is that Sygate will start reacting to port 443 if it's detecting usage. For example email being transferred. My Thunderbird is set to retrieve email every [1] minutes when it's open, rather then the default 5 minutes. Maybe this was the problem you were having?

Archived