Song Sites Face Legal Crackdown

Samurai

41103936guitarbbc2035ei.jpg

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

He said unlicensed guitar tabs and song scores were widely available on the internet but were "completely illegal".

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective"

News Source: BBC - Further Reading

• Replies 1
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41103936guitarbbc2035ei.jpg

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

He said unlicensed guitar tabs and song scores were widely available on the internet but were "completely illegal".

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective"

News Source: BBC - Further Reading

this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, most tabs that are available are from people who write them themselves, not taken from a music book. Same with the lyrics

Archived