Malware Bytes - Trojan?

bobfromfpl

bobfromfpl

In an attempt to find a virus scanner I have been trying different ones shown on here in the downloads section.. However as the title states I installed Malwarebytes with no issues at all. Ran a scan, it even found some files to clear. As I removed the unwanted files and the process completed my PC Tools Spyware Doctor pops up with this alert:

5/31/2009 6:39:34 AM:328

OnGuard: System Event Blocked

Threat Name - Trojan-PWS.Bancos.PWN

Details - Spyware Doctor has blocked an application attempting to write to the registry.

Risk Level - Medium

Infection - HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\SMHKI

Further investigation with some google searches shows other users have experienced similar issues, during the exact same phase when removing the files. Other users reported the file as well, but without mentioning Malwarebytes as a variable. I am unsure if Spyware Doctor is giving me a false positive, or is Malwarebytes really trying to insert a trojan?

Any one else please advise if you have dealt with this program.

Thanks ;)

-Bob

• Replies 7
  • Views 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bearoninternet

I can't think of any reason why they would insert a trojan. If that 'd come out, and it always does anyway, they could stop their business immediately.

Must be a false positive, i suggest you post it in their forum.

Cant put it in much better words than Bear did :) ;

I havent had any problems with MBAM & from what I hear Spyware Doctor does report a lot of false positives...

Cant put it in much better words than Bear did :) ;

I havent had any problems with MBAM & from what I hear Spyware Doctor does report a lot of false positives...

Agreed.. MBAB is 1 of the best AV.. Spyware gives you a lot of false positives :\

I agree with both Rock and Haantjuh :)....spyware doctor is well known for its false positives system

bobfromfpl

Well thank you everyone for your inputs, it leads me to believe the program is safe and as you all mentioned, most likely a false positive, thanks again. I will continue to use MBAM as a virus software :)

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse Me, but i think if your PC is infected by a sort of virus or Trojan or anything else you better format it!

It will be better for you to have a fresh windows free from any Trojans.

But if you can't do this or you think me CRAZY!

Go to KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY it is the best Anti-Virus EVER.

Hope it useful....

PsychoticxBloodxLust

@ shmit,

yes reformatting, is the best way to ensure a clean spotless system but it is not required and in opinion kaspersky is indeed a good av but it give way to many fP's for my likeing, i'd rather use the top 0 false positive av then one thats going to complain about my 3rd party apps and such that i use.

and if i'm not mistake isn't avira top dog i know it is better the KS atm

Archived