Windows 8.1 'August Update' now available for download

geeteam

• Replies 41
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think this has something to do with UltraUXThemePatcher or similar theme patcher? I've really been wanting to do custom themes lately, but I've heard so many stories about theme fixes creating a blinking desktop like you described or something crazy like that. I just don't want to go through resetting everything every time a big update comes around.

F3h9xqz.gif That is a really good example of troubleshooting (those Theme Patchers are responsible for most of these sort of issues) - in my case though, I no longer have any Theme Patcher installed.

I believe that probably one or more of my Group Policies pertaining to File Explorer is/are not permitting explorer.exe to be updated - I could well be wrong (anyways waiting for the ISO.)

I don't think others will necessarily be affected like I am. yXZVmpE.gif

Hmm...I suppose I was jumping to conclusions a bit since I was remembering screens you posted in the past of some extensive customizations. That was part of the reason I started using a theme patcher with Windows 8.0 to acheive an all dark theme (after trying UxStyle and finding it didn't quite do what I wanted).

Anyway, it's good to hear your experience and diagnosis! Thank you for the update.

Just tried using the offline installer and still have the booting issue (Acronis saves my day, though) - an heads up to others like me . . . . . . . . . . . . . the offline installer won't resolve your issue (hope to save you guys on internet download expense.)

Do you think this has something to do with UltraUXThemePatcher or similar theme patcher? I've really been wanting to do custom themes lately, but I've heard so many stories about theme fixes creating a blinking desktop like you described or something crazy like that. I just don't want to go through resetting everything every time a big update comes around.
F3h9xqz.gif That is a really good example of troubleshooting (those Theme Patchers are responsible for most of these sort of issues) - in my case though, I no longer have any Theme Patcher installed.

I believe that probably one or more of my Group Policies pertaining to File Explorer is/are not permitting explorer.exe to be updated - I could well be wrong (anyways waiting for the ISO.)

I don't think others will necessarily be affected like I am. yXZVmpE.gif
Hmm...I suppose I was jumping to conclusions a bit since I was remembering screens you posted in the past of some extensive customizations. That was part of the reason I started using a theme patcher with Windows 8.0 to acheive an all dark theme (after trying UxStyle and finding it didn't quite do what I wanted).

Anyway, it's good to hear your experience and diagnosis! Thank you for the update.

In fact, you were spot-on about the Theme Patcher - have met many folks in those early days of Windows 8 who could not boot into their Windows after updating on Patch Tuesday. :yes:

@ rudrax

You were wrong - it is 1,153.2 MB (check out - it is now on Windows Update.)

368.9 MB here :dance:

@ rudrax

You were wrong - it is 1,153.2 MB (check out - it is now on Windows Update.)

368.9 MB here :dance:

If you still have your Office 2013 - then, it is bad news (for you.)

You may have misconfigured your Windows Update. ;)

I don't have any version of MS Office installed. I don't like it because it is damn heavy and so do the patches. Happy with kingsoft office so far.

:dance:

Lets forget about the size.....the question is still unanswered, what on the earth M$ has changed in this 1.1+ GB (including Office 15) of update ?

Lets forget about the size.....the question is still unanswered, what on the earth M$ has changed in this 1.1+ GB (including Office 15) of update ?

Check out post # 5.

Did anyone had issues after updating...?

Windows 8.1 'August Update' BSODs affected less than 0.01% of users

screen_shot_2014-08-22_at_12.52.59_pm_st

I think, those systems were suffering BSODs which had the system files modified - like, uxtheme patching, SIB, etc. You should uninstal those before installing any update from microsoft, IMHO.

I think, those systems were suffering BSODs which had the system files modified - like, uxtheme patching, SIB, etc. You should uninstal those before installing any update from microsoft, IMHO.

This is an issue you someone posted on the windows site after updating August update...

Archived