"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

Of course hosts can not block IP, but it can block access to IP since it translates address to IP. And I already verified that hosts method currently works on ESET, and by work I mean that ESET can't access to IP which translates from that hosts.

CHeers ;)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but the hosts can possibly block only such hostnames which are able to be resolved into IPs - all IPs can be resolved and hence be blocked by a firewall, but . . . . . . . . . not all hostnames can be resolved into their corresponding IPs which is the singular reason why the hosts trick failed at fixing IDM (just an example.)

I don't think you are right. Every hosts can resolve to ip, that's the point of hosts. IDM stopped working because author probably hard coded IP's, or found some other way to bypass hosts.

Cheers ;)

Yep, exactly the point that I made in my previous post . . . . . . . . . some IPs just cannot be resolved by hosts - that drawback of hosts does not limit a firewall, though.

Besides, I sniff out any change in IPs weeks before ESET begins to rollout the same through new releases. :tehe:

We'll sort that out when the time comes. Is the key you're using now expired? This is the most important part to test now.

Cheers ;)

Please post the results, here. F3h9xqz.gif

For that will have to wait till the expiary date of my current license gets over. Where has my expiray date gone, BTW?

screenshot_1413173233.png

We'll sort that out when the time comes. Is the key you're using now expired? This is the most important part to test now.

Cheers ;)

The firewall method does not allow the key to expire - it preserves activated state as reflected by the screenshot on rudrax's post.

Please post the results, here. F3h9xqz.gif

For that will have to wait till the expiary date of my current license gets over. Where has my expiray date gone, BTW?

screenshot_1413173233.png

Check out my answer to mara- above (at this same post.)

BTW, there is a trick to find out, right now - without waiting for the expiry date (let me know if you want to find out.)

o4HSyoh.png

aRTWd9y.png

I strongly suggest an upgrade to the V8 - it is superior to the V7 (shall be penning a brief first impressions, on the same - at the appropriate topic.)

I strongly suggest an upgrade to the V8 - it is superior to the V7 (shall be penning a brief first impressions, on the same - at the appropriate topic.)

Clean instal or overwriting the previous?

Cheers ;)

The firewall method does not allow the key to expire - it preserves activated state as reflected by the screenshot on rudrax's post.

How do you know this for sure ? Are you or rudrax using and expired key? If not you really dont know what its going to do tell it expires.

I can activate and expired key and it shows the same thing as your screen shot but as soon as it checks for updates it will stop working.

Cheers ;)

How do you know this for sure ? Are you or rudrax using and expired key? If not you really dont know what its going to do tell it expires.

I can activate and expired key and it shows the same thing as your screen shot but as soon as it checks for updates it will stop working.

Why don't you use a valid key then? Want one? Just PM me.

Cheers ;)

Why don't you use a valid key then? Want one? Just PM me.

I got tons of valid keys, I dont need to pm you I got 2 that will expire soon . My point is that you guys try to say those screen shots mean anything when they don't . I can put and expire key in and turn off updates and it will say its activated in both places after reboot . But as soon as I allow updates . V8 update servers check my key and deactivates it.

My point is that you guys try to say those screen shots mean anything when they don't .

Those screenshots may not mean anything to you - it means a lot to others. ;)

I can put and expire key in and turn off updates and it will say its activated in both places after reboot . But as soon as I allow updates . V8 update servers check my key and deactivates it.

Can't blame you. :tehe:

The V8 is structurally different from the V7 . . . . . . . . . . . . so, a clean, fresh and full install - a couple of Peeps did not pay heed to sage advice and came to immediate grief (you may check this out the ESET threads.) :lol:

Before uninstalling your V7 dispose of any fix previously used - after uninstalling, please don't forget to clear all the debris from your system. 8)

When Ever my key expires I will let you know if still works for me or not. I don't never count my chickens before they hatch.

Any thing that don't have hardcore proof yet is just a theory. Just like the theory that humans only use only 10% of there brain . It never can be proved because they never found no one that uses more than 10% of there brain. Tell your key expires and it keeps working its a theory is all.

When Ever my key expires I will let you know if still works for me or not.

Please don't - there is no need. 5F7Wk2b.gif

The V8 is structurally different from the V7 . . . . . . . . . . . . so, a clean, fresh and full install - a couple of Peeps did not pay heed to sage advice and came to immediate grief (you may check this out the ESET threads.) :lol:

Before uninstalling your V7 dispose of any fix previously used - after uninstalling, please don't forget to clear all the debris from your system. 8)

I'm using TNOD portable. I will keep that away while installing ESET v8. And about cleaning the debris, are you directing to clean with Ccleaner?

Fixing ESET With Windows Firewall Control - The Precautionary Measures

06.) This step is a new implementation (an improvisation, I was working on long back - even prior to my motorbike crash) -an Allow rule exclusively for the following selected IPs (meaning - no other IPs except the following responsible for the ESET Virus signature database, shall be allowed):--

Check out this implementation - it could change the way we do business on this thread:--

Have you ever messed with NOD Update Viewer ?

It checks to see if the keys are valid or not thorough 91.228.167.21 one the ips you have allowed .

TMA1j9c.png

I'm using TNOD portable. I will keep that away while installing ESET v8. And about cleaning the debris, are you directing to clean with Ccleaner?

Do not use CCleaner or any other 3rd party Uninstaller - not even the native Windows Add or remove Programs.

Use only the ESET uninstaller.

Do not use CCleaner or any other 3rd party Uninstaller - not even the native Windows Add or remove Programs.

How to clean the ESET leftovers then?

I always uninstall ESET products with Ursoft YourUninstaller (uninstall in Supermode!), reboot Windows and run the NOD Removal Tool (link posted above in post #1374) for cleaning possible debris. I also check manually for any folders left but never find any.

I always uninstall ESET products with Ursoft YourUninstaller, reboot Windows and run the NOD Removal Tool (link posted above in post #1374) for cleaning possible debris. I also check manually for any folders left but never find any.

Using any other mode other than the dedicated ESET uninstaller was found (at the beta channel of Wilders) to be detrimental to future installations.

Finding debris (or not) is not the point - it is anyways gonna be present (check out my reply to rudrax, below.)

How to clean the ESET leftovers then?

After uninstalling ESET, don't stop the process - when prompted to be booted.

After login to your desktop, get into your registry - delete the following:--

• [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET]

Check up on your system - delete the following:--

• C:\ProgramData\ESET

Using any other mode other than the dedicated ESET uninstaller was found (at the beta channel of Wilders) to be detrimental to future installations.

I've been using this method I mentioned for years and years now (ever since I stopped using Fix TemDono) and it never causes any problems; YU uses the built-in uninstaller from ESET. When asked to reboot don't so the program looks for debris; it finds the registry keys mentioned by you and deletes them.

When YU is finished just reboot and run the NOD Removal Tool to make sure there's no leftovers. Then check C:\ProgramData\ESET and it shouldn't be there anymore. If it still is simply delete that folder and you're ready to install the new version of ESET without a problem.

If you don't believe me just test it

• Matrix locked this topic
  • Reefa unlocked this topic

Archived