Manufacturer: IBM

Model: IBM (WMT478/NWD)

Chipset Vendor: Intel

Chipset Model: i845G

BIOS Info:

Brand: IBM

Version: 24KT48AUS

Date: 25/07/2003

Here's the BIOS info i got from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System)

[systemBiosVersion]:

PTLTD - 60400d0
PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
IBM BIOS Ver 24KT48.0
Ver 1.00PARTTBLh
Now i provided the above info, i'm having some problems with the BIOS, i want to update the BIOS of my system, since its very old system, its hard to find the BIOS update for it, i've updated BIOS of several systems, but cant do for this one, please someone help me in this regard..
Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than being an old system, what benefit are you expecting to see from updating the bios ? (as it won't be much and not worth doing I expect.)

Also, Check here for bios updates (Netvista version specific ofc) :- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-42954

just take care if the update u get is not right it might do more harm than good :)

Gud luck finding the update :thumbsup:

Other than being an old system, what benefit are you expecting to see from updating the bios ? (as it won't be much and not worth doing I expect.)

Also, Check here for bios updates (Netvista version specific ofc) :- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-42954

u r right dude, but actually i'm having problem with the bios,

----------------------------------

System is starting

To interrupt normal startup, press Enter

Now, when I press “Enter” nothing happens.

Some times (but not always), the startup screen shows the option for”

F1--->To enter setup

F2--->To resume

Some times (but not always) when i press F2 for resume, i get this error:

"EROR 1962: NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND, PRESS F1 TO REPEAT BOOT SEQUENCE"

mayb ur OS is corrupted :yes:

r u running xp ??? :think:

Did you try executing a full Check Disk on your system partition? :think:

i dont think he is able to boot the OS, dont know if he tried a live cd :dunno:

He can execute the full Check Disk command through his installation DVD. ;)

He can execute the full Check Disk command through his installation DVD. ;)

dont know if he has that, OP hasn't provide ny info in that regard.

i m pretty sure its the problem with the BIOS cuz i've searched online and found some users having this problem, btw, first i was unable to boot to OS,,i did a clean install today, clean install i mean, i completely deleted/partitioned/formatted my full HDD and installed a new OS, Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition May 24 2014 release..

i m pretty sure its the problem with the BIOS cuz i've searched online and found some users having this problem, btw, first i was unable to boot to OS,,i did a clean install today, clean install i mean, i completely deleted/partitioned/formatted my full HDD and installed a new OS, Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition May 24 2014 release..

Not at all surprised custom OS tend to have these errors bcoz of incompatible driver

Not at all surprised custom OS tend to have these errors bcoz of incompatible driver

Dont know what you talking about, but i was having this problem before the clean install and still having this., but i can boot to the OS

Dont know what you talking about, but i was having this problem before the clean install and still having this., but i can boot to the OS

Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition May 24 2014 release - This is what i m talking abt

System is starting

F1--->To enter setup

F2--->To resume

Your issue isn't necessarily bios related, the error you have means that your laptop cannot find an operating system to load.

Check your bios to make sure it's set to boot from your primary partition, also try the start-up repair, see if that re-installs the boot loader.

I had a similar issue recently, couldn't find the new OS I'd installed, turns out the BIOS was defaulting boot to a HD that had no boot loader one.

Sorry what ?, you are aware that nearly ALL custom images are made from stock MSDN releases ?, hence they use the same boot sequence drivers as what MSDN use, so NO additional drivers are needed unless your running a raid, be pretty pointless to be needing custom drivers that you have to install to primarily boot, when you can't boot in the first instance.

Your issue isn't necessarily bios related, the error you have means that your laptop cannot find an operating system to load.

Check your bios to make sure it's set to boot from your primary partition, also try the start-up repair, see if that re-installs the boot loader.

I had a similar issue recently, couldn't find the new OS I'd installed, turns out the BIOS was defaulting boot to a HD that had no boot loader one.

huhh..,, i have only one hdd and its set to the primary order..

isnt its possible i that if no update for my BIOS is availble and i can reinstall the current BIOS freshly..??

el_espaniol

System is starting

F1--->To enter setup

F2--->To resume

Hi Mate...

Double-check again...

-> Download UBCD ...: has a lot of useful utilities...

-> ClearCMOS...

-> Test HDD for any errors with vendor´s utility inside the startup disk....

-> Test RAM...

Best Luck ..!

not the bios is problem. You have one hidden partition, cca 100mb with MBR inside, after you quit windows 7. Search for HIRENS BOOT CD- partition tools(paragon)-delete all partitions and try again.

isnt its possible i that if no update for my BIOS is availble and i can reinstall the current BIOS freshly..??

You can I think re-flash the same version of bios, but I still don't see this as a bios issue if it was working fine before, as it's technically getting past POST, and just can't find a boot device. You could as suggested, pull the internal battery out & any other mains power and clear the cmos down.

How are you deleting / creating the partition ?

The way I see it however is that it's already installed the OS on the primary HD, so you BIOS is clearly seeing it already, so no reason to believe the bios is the issue.

I do think that it's not finding the boot loader as it's not looking in the right place, could it be that you have a hidden recovery partition (as factory shipped items come with), and the boot loader was written to that, and in the process of deleting partition(s) and such, for one reason or another it's either looking in the wrong place, or simply not being installed.

If you have another pc / laptop to hand, you could grab hirens bootcd, make a bootable usb and then you can get a proper look at the HD using the plethora of tools on it, as you can boot into a live version of XP / 7, then you can use one of the partition programs, to check to see what your partition structure is like, and take it from there.

Edit : ^^ Gogu's version is shorter...

not the bios is problem. You have one hidden partition, cca 100mb with MBR inside, after you quit windows 7. Search for HIRENS BOOT CD- partition tools(paragon)-delete all partitions and try again.

You can I think re-flash the same version of bios, but I still don't see this as a bios issue if it was working fine before, as it's technically getting past POST, and just can't find a boot device. You could as suggested, pull the internal battery out & any other mains power and clear the cmos down.

How are you deleting / creating the partition ?

The way I see it however is that it's already installed the OS on the primary HD, so you BIOS is clearly seeing it already, so no reason to believe the bios is the issue.

I do think that it's not finding the boot loader as it's not looking in the right place, could it be that you have a hidden recovery partition (as factory shipped items come with), and the boot loader was written to that, and in the process of deleting partition(s) and such, for one reason or another it's either looking in the wrong place, or simply not being installed.

If you have another pc / laptop to hand, you could grab hirens bootcd, make a bootable usb and then you can get a proper look at the HD using the plethora of tools on it, as you can boot into a live version of XP / 7, then you can use one of the partition programs, to check to see what your partition structure is like, and take it from there.

Edit : ^^ Gogu's version is shorter...

Thanx for suggessions guys,, currently i m downloading UBCD.., UBCD or Hirens..??

Sorry for being a no0b..

Thanx for suggessions guys,, currently i m downloading UBCD.., UBCD or Hirens..??

Sorry for being a no0b..

It's simply down to preference, I prefer Hirens over UBCD, but the're both excellent in their own right.

I'd simply delete all the partitions, (and something I do also), is delete the partition again during the windows installer process, and create a new one, it's pointless I expect, but gives me happy thoughts :).

Hey.., i remember i left an 8MB of unallocated/unpartitioned space during the clean install., you think thats the problem??

Hey.., i remember i left an 8MB of unallocated/unpartitioned space during the clean install., you think thats the problem??

Unlikely, but I could be wrong. :ermm:

Archived