Just got an email from Avast, they got hacked.

darko999

I just got an email from Avast, telling me that their forum was hacked, and that all the E-Mails and its passwords where compromissed, they where one-way encrypted.

Here's the email I got:

""Dear NVM,

The AVAST forum is currently offline and will remain so for a brief period. It was hacked over this past weekend and user nicknames, user names, email addresses and hashed (one-way encrypted) passwords were compromised. Even though the passwords were hashed, it could be possible for a sophisticated thief to derive many of the passwords. If you use the same password and user names to log into any other sites, please change those passwords immediately. Once our forum is back online, all users will be required to set new passwords as the compromised passwords will no longer work.

This issue only affects our community-support forum. No payment, license, or financial systems or other data were compromised.

We are now rebuilding the forum and moving it to a different software platform. When it returns, it will be faster and more secure. This forum for many years has been hosted on a third-party software platform and how the attacker breached the forum is not yet known. However, we do believe that the attack just occurred and we detected it essentially immediately.

We realize that it is serious to have these usernames stolen and regret the concern and inconvenience it causes you. However, this is an isolated third-party system and your sensitive data remains secure.

All the best,

Ondrej Vlcek
COO AVAST Software""

Thats funny, a security company got owned. Nvm its just the forums, but yea its quite ironic.

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iih1

• darko999

• SnakeMasteR

• killbit

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, darko999 it's really happens to you or just joking..sometimes..you should provide the source if the source from your email link

i don't know how to provide.. or not AVAST! your email have been hacked beware..

Edited by iih1

hi, darko999 it's really happens to you or just joking..sometimes..you should provide the source if the source from your email link

i don't know how to provide.. or not AVAST! your email have been hacked beware..

954d8706.jpg

I was just sharing it, I had an old account registered for the support forums. I haven't used Avast for a long long time. I'm stick to Kaspersky for my desktop. And EES for my server machines.

SnakeMasteR

Gill Bates always told us: Update your frikken Windows when updates are available, our programming team left bunch of holes, for ya.

If they run again highly outdated "third party software" like they say, they will get hacked again. Stupid idiots.

Gill Bates always told us: Update your frikken Windows when updates are available, our programming team left bunch of holes, for ya.

If they run again highly outdated "third party software" like they say, they will get hacked again. Stupid idiots.

Oh well, then I'll go start building my giant army of security software for windows 7, to be ready for the day it will be discontinued. I'm not a windows 8 hater, it is just not as perfect as windows 7 for me =(.

Got the same email this morning.

Haven't picked up a problem yet so keeping fingers crossed.

Have "adequate" programs to warn if a problem arises.

Windows and all other software updated regularly. :P

freeforever03

I just got the same email and changed my password. It is ironic that a security company, like Avast, could be so easily hacked.

Kaspersky has been hacked several times over the years, so things like this aren't unheard of by any means.

Thats funny, a security company got owned. Nvm its just the forums, but yea its quite ironic.

How come ? they offering protection but weak for themselve... :( yea ironic. Las time, Panda also got hacked.

This issue only affects our community-support forum. No payment, license, or financial systems or other data were compromised.

What's the big deal, it's "only" the forum login name /passwords that got hacked. Nothing more than that. "Payment, license, or financial systems or other data were compromised" as the company said.

How come ? they offering protection but weak for themselve...

Probably because, there mission is to serve & secure people.

• Administrator

Which forum board were they using?

SnakeMasteR

@DKT27

SMF 2.0 with copyright in the footer from 2012, let's say it would be the latest version released in 2012, which is 2.0.3 (November 16 2012), there have been various updates released since then.

In SMF 2.0.4 (February 1 2013) a "Quick fix for Admin Password Reset vulnerability reported by Raz0r" is also included in the changelog. :lol:

Edited by n0_risk!

Which forum board were they using?

Avast!...you may go HERE

Edited by iih1

confirmed by my friends reported the same issue here

@sirri that's the point is..

Edited by iih1

@DKT27

SMF 2.0 with copyright in the footer from 2012, let's say it would be the latest version released in 2012, which is 2.0.3 (November 16 2012), there have been various updates released since then.

In SMF 2.0.4 (February 1 2013) a "Quick fix for Admin Password Reset vulnerability reported by Raz0r" is also included in the changelog. :lol:

susceptibility SMF. NSANE not using SMF! (to simple)

Avast! forums still using SMF 2.0

avast_forums.png

Edited by iih1

How come ? they offering protection but weak for themselve... :( yea ironic. Las time, Panda also got hacked.

They will change SMF to other platform...as they announced

We are now rebuilding the forum and moving it to a different software platform. When it returns, it will be faster and more secure. This forum for many years has been hosted on a third-party software platform and how the attacker breached the forum is not yet known. However, we do believe that the attack just occurred and we detected it essentially immediately.

OLD SMF 2.0 one of reason cause Avast! forum been hacked

Accordance SMF 2.0 vulnerability reported by raz0r

In SMF 2.0.4 (February 1 2013) a "Quick fix for Admin Password Reset vulnerability reported by Raz0r"

avast_forums.png

Edited by iih1