Copy/Paste not working for images

funkyy

As of yesterday (15th May) my copy/paste function only works for text, but refuses to work for images. Obviously I Googled and read various "solutions" from people with similar problems, but it still won't work. Any ideas?

I'm using Win XP SP3....as many of you already know. :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• funkyy

• dcs18

• jilowjacob1990

• unknownasphyxiated

copy from where to where?

Ah, sorry...copying an image from the internet to a Word page. It just stopped working without any warning...but text from the internet can still be copied to Word and Notepad.

Which browser ?

Check if you have an addon like" copy text" in FF with activated option "copy plain text".

Which browser ?

Check if you have an addon like" copy text" in FF with activated option "copy plain text".

I'm using FireFox 29.1, and no add-on as you mention.

Some more info:- I uninstalled Firefox, rebooted and did a clean install. I uninstalled Malwarebytes (due to getting a recurring message "Malwarebytes has encountered a problem and has to close), I rebooted and did a clean install. I scanned with antivirus..result clean. I scanned with Malwarebytes...result clean.

Inbetween times I continued trying to copy/paste images from the web onto a Word page, I used copy/paste from the context menu, and I used Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v, and I even used the mouse to blue over the image and tried paste in the "edit" option on the toolbar...all to no avail. But one time, just one, the image appeared on the Word page, but when I repeated the action I couldn't get it to work again.

Copy-paste working great, here - there's a solution, though. :think:

When you navigate through the Control Panel to Add and remove programs, do you see Windows XP Professional SP3. :sneaky:

When you navigate through the Control Panel to Add and remove programs, do you see Windows XP Professional SP3. :sneaky:

Thank you dcs18...I was waiting for someone to suggest that, it was only a matter of time. :lol:

I think I might uninstall/reinstall Office just to see if that fixes it.

jilowjacob1990

Thank you dcs18...I was waiting for someone to suggest that, it was only a matter of time. :lol:

I think I might uninstall/reinstall Office just to see if that fixes it.

Check with IE8 first and then try repair option from office uninstaller instead of removing office.

Edited by jilowjacob1990

On a serious note, can you just use the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... function, on Firefox - to see if the copy-paste feature starts working.

Thanks dcs18 and jilowjacob 1990, I'm gonna have a look at your suggestions.

I'm back...I wrote this post already, then when I clicked "Post" there was an internal server error and it got erased!!! Here goes again:-

1) I tried Firefox "restart with add-ons disabled " in safe-mode....problem still persists.

2) Tried Office repair option (I used original installation disc)...problem still persists.

3) I don't have IE installed. I had it until 1 year ago, then tried to install a subtitle edit prog which doesnt work with IE..but to uninstall IE you have to uninstall SP3 first...I didn't want to go through all that so I tried deleting IE from Program files...some parts of IE are left, but I don't use/like IE so I just kept on with Firefox. Anyway this problem with copy/paste only started a few days ago. :wub:

Is this a clue?...I can use "save as" to save an image to my desktop as jpg, png etc, then I can click "insert-picture-from file"on the Word toolbar and this allows me to put the image on a Word page. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Are you running Advanced SystemCare?

Dcs18, no I'm not. The first thing I thought about when this problem started was "What was the last thing I did before the problem appeared?". But really I hadn't installed anything new or changed anything between copy/paste working one day and not working the next. I use CCleaner last thing before switching off my computer at night, but that's routine.

I'm back...I wrote this post already, then when I clicked "Post" there was an internal server error and it got erased!!! Here goes again:-

Random off topic suggestion. Use this add on for firefox and never have to worry about that again.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Thanks Bob1st, I've just downloaded/installed the add-on you suggested..looks like a useful help, thanks.

Back to my original problem, I have now discovered that when I click on download links on a Word page, instead of linking to the location of the download link (upload, mega, rapidgator etc etc) I get a message "Unable to open http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Cannot locate the internet server or proxy server". Am I correct in thinking that this points to a browser problem? It's a bummer 'cos I often use download links that I have "stored" on a Word page.

Right...I uninstalled Office and installed another version (lite). The copy/paste problem still exists, and the hyperlink problem. I think the problem must lie in Firefox or the registry.

I use CCleaner last thing before switching off my computer at night, but that's routine.

OK, sweet - can you just exclude your Clipboard from CCleaner (you may enable it - once we solve the problem.)

Now, just run the following command from an elevated Command Prompt:--

Sfc /ScanNow

Reboot and see whether copy-paste is working - report back, please.

I use CCleaner last thing before switching off my computer at night, but that's routine.

OK, sweet - can you just exclude your Clipboard from CCleaner (you may enable it - once we solve the problem.)

Now, just run the following command from an elevated Command Prompt:--

Sfc /ScanNow

Reboot and see whether copy-paste is working - report back, please.

Dcs 18, I'm just on my way out to work right now, I'll follow your suggestion when I get back home..I'll reply as soon as I can. Meanwhile, thanks a million for your suggestion. :showoff:

Dcs 18, right I'm back home now. I unchecked "clipboard" from CCleaner, then I ran the command prompt, but it asks me to insert the original Win XP disc. My XP is a skull and crossbones version lol. I looked through my old backup XP's (I have several), and I inserted them all, in turn...but none of them appears to be the XP that is currently installed. Looks like we have hit a brick wall...totally my fault I admit. :wub:

Oh yeah, I have used that version, too - it is an extremely small edition with a lot of stuff removed from the base CD. :yes:

The crux of your problem is that your Clipboard has grown corrupt and the command mentioned in my previous post would reset it back to original state (as also all other system files.)

Just have a wild idea - wonder if you can borrow a clean (non-infected) cmd.exe file from another User of XP which resides at the C:\Windows\System32 directory. :think:

Oh yeah, I have used that version, too - it is an extremely small edition with a lot of stuff removed from the base CD. :yes:

The crux of your problem is that your Clipboard has grown corrupt and the command mentioned in my previous post would reset it back to original state (as also all other system files.)

Just have a wild idea - wonder if you can borrow a clean (non-infected) cmd.exe file from another User of XP which resides at the C:\Windows\System32 directory. :think:

I don't have anyone I can ask for that....most of them are more "noob" than me (really!!!), and they are very protective/possessive about their babies. Is it possible to extract it from an XP installation disk? I have a few of them from different sources.

Is it possible to extract it from an XP installation disk?

I am sure that it is possible to extract the cmd.exe from an XP installation disc - however, have lost touch with XP and cannot remember the commands (extracting - in case of XP, is through commands, unlike other OS.)

Can you make an appeal for the cmd.exe file on these forums - if I do, XP folks won't respond. :P :tehe:

Is it possible to extract it from an XP installation disk?

I am sure that it is possible to extract the cmd.exe from an XP installation disc - however, have lost touch with XP and cannot remember the commands (extracting - in case of XP, is through commands, unlike other OS.)

Can you make an appeal for the cmd.exe file on these forums - if I do, XP folks won't respond. :P :tehe:

Once again thanks very much for your advice and time. I am constantly learning (believe it or not!!!) and I really do try to solve my problems first before resorting to cries for help on Nsane lol. I'm gonna post an appeal for the "cmd.exe" file as you suggest. Now why would XP folks not respond to you?....you big pussycat you :lol: :lol: :lol: