XBMC 12.3 and 13.0 portable app question

Cerberus

I was wondering does anyone here have mass amount of knowledge in creating portable apps? If so I would love to know if XBMC 12.3 and 13.0 with addon packs can be made into a portable app. I don't have any knowledge in this area and I know that there are a lot of variables. It might not even be possible since it is hardware dependent (video card, sound card, etc). Any help would be great. This would be a great idea so both could co-exist on the same system. Just a thought anyway.

I found some info that looks promising.

Install xbmc
Go to the install folder
Right click xbmc .exe and create shortcut on desktop
Right click the shortcut -> properties
Add -p behind the target

This keeps the temp folders in main install directory. I don't know about what reg entries though. If nothing else it should then be able to be made into a portable app like everyone is use too.

Edited by Cerberus

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cerberus

• Bob1st

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Might want a enlist the help of the following people (List is in order of skill level with portable apps, 1. being most skillful)

1. FukenGruven at http://portablexapps.blogspot.com/ comment on something (Can also find links on his blog to other pro portable developers)

2. Son-of-Sam

3. PocketAppZ

More info

1.6 Portable mode Link
  • If you wish, you may run XBMC in portable mode by adding the -p switch (in the Target field after the closing quotation mark) to the shortcut's properties used to launch XBMC. This will then use the XBMC folder itself as the Home folder, which means scripts, plugins, skins and userdata will be located in the 'portable_data' folder within the XBMC folder. This is useful for running XBMC for Windows off a USB stick for portability.
  • You'll have to put the XBMC folder in a place where standard users have write permission (e.g. not under Program Files) or run the shortcut as admin (even though you're logged in with an admin account). Otherwise you'll get the error message "ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting."
  • You will, however, have to be careful when upgrading to make sure that the userdata folder you use is not overwritten.

Thx for that useful info brother. I will check out those links and see who might be interested in creating a portable app for xbmc. Looks like it might be tricky. Like I said I don't know if it is even possible....we shall see. Thx again. :)