Prey 0.6.3

jalaffa

Prey lets you keep track of your phone or laptop at all times and will help you find it if it ever gets lost or stolen. It uses either the device's GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on the location of your device. Prey even allows you to display a message which will show that the device is being tracked or you can completely lock down your system. It supports various popular operating systems including Windows, Mac and Android. Best of all Prey is lightweight, open source software, and free for anyone to use.

Thanks to sujith for the update.

Download

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stylemessiah

• Chancer

• Gabben

• bytebunny

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

stylemessiah

Doesnt remotely toggle GPS/Wifi if its off when your device is stolen

I suppose you could always call the thief and ask him/her very politely to turn them on for you so you can track him/her down though........

Edited by stylemessiah

Yeah - but its highly likely at some point they will connect to a net - then you have some chance!

stylemessiah

Yeah - but its highly likely at some point they will connect to a net - then you have some chance!

What good is a net connection going to do? The wireless location is at best inaccurate (i just tried wireless location now, and it thinks im 4 blocks from where i actually am...ill send you the coordinates of where it thinks i am....please come and arrest me), whereas GPS isnt. And like i said in my first post, unless you have GPS turned on all the time (which no one does), this app is useless as it cant toggle it on once the device is stolen.

So theres really no point installing it.

Hey - its up to you if you install it. However if it does get a net connection then there is a reasonable chance the IP can be traced.

bytebunny

FAR too easy to detect & remove.

Don't believe me?

Download this executable - take it anywhere with you, on a USB pen.

On the 'target' PC, run the executable - viola - it WARNS you that Prey is already installed (if it is), and very kindly uninstalls it.

Good bye Prey protection!

(that said, I use it on the kids laptop 'just in case'). :lol:

Funny, I already have prey-windows-1.0.7-x86.exe installed on my system and has silently updated to 1.0.8.

Edited by Tucker