Internet Download Manager Patch is outdated

JohnDoVaS12345

Now, let's bring things back into perspective - here's the screenshot, that Roger referred to where he wants to know whether 127.0.0.1 localhost (circled in red - which, he unknowingly added) can be removed - he was not referring to #127.0.0.1 localhost (circled in blue - it is you who is insisting on referring to this one):--

mUFmN94.png

• Replies 40
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• Supremo Phantom

• Roger D

• Alhaitham

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope at least Roger understood it correctly.

Roger can you come down, here - right now and clarify who is right. Edited by shought
Edited content to make poster seem less provocative than he really is.

1. Roger was asking about the importance of the line 127.0.0.1 localhost in the hosts file

you obviously have no clue about what 127.0.0.1 or localhost means in networking

2. i have already clearly explained the difference between #127.0.0.1 localhost and 127.0.0.1 localhost ....

it seems you are not mentally ready yet to read properly and understand... even the "Network Administration for Dummies" link i shared earlier is not simple enough for you to comprehend

it won't harm to confess that you don't know about how HOSTS file works in windows... try and see how host file used to be in XP, then you won't harp on the note that it is a sample...

if you read on how hosts entries work in windows, you would then know that there are ways to manage what you say here "(every extra entry that over-floods the hosts causes a time-lag in internet speed.)"

anyways, there is no point explaining how things work to someone who does not wish to learn, so you can continue to use the hosts method the way you do without really understanding what it does in the backend and why or how it works...

wait wait..I and dcs18 were discussing on the line 127.0.0.1 localhost , the extra line I had added in the list of lines to be added in hosts file for IDM..

you can check here..the quoted post of mine in which I had added the line on the top..

After dcs18 told me to remove the line as that was useless..I removed and edited here.. :lol:

So the doubtful line was another issue but now you were fighting on another issue.. :P

Roger can you come down, here - right now and clarify who is the Moron.

You're discussing on the line... #127.0.0.1 localhost which is default and already present in hosts file..but mine doubt was about the extra line..

127.0.0.1 localhost

that I had added in the list of lines to be added for the IDM.. :) :P

SnakeMasteR

This is the funniest topic today! :lol: :lol: :lol:

@dcs18

I never saw you repeating yourself over and over again before, congrats. :P

I think hopefully it's clear now..So truce now..shake.gif

Moron

This is wrong, just wrong

No one is gonna respect you when you keep calling members that and not respecting them

It is weird that the staff would leave such words

Moron

This is wrong, just wrong

No one is gonna respect you when you keep calling members that and not respecting them

It is weird that the staff would leave such words

Do you find me begging for respect, here???

BTW, do you even know the meaning of Moron - it's Ignoramus (which was exactly what I was being called, in more words than one - but, did not take it personally.)

If you have any issue/s with my words - you can try the Report button . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't take too kindly to RabbleRousers who are discontent that there's an ongoing truce.

I think hopefully it's clear now..So truce now..shake.gif

Some people do not like peace - they enjoy being spectators to flame-fests.

You can find their ideology in bold fonts right there on their signature.

They will neither forgive others - nor ask ask for forgiveness.

Supremo Phantom

Roger D,

if you are truly trying to understand the purpose of that line, as you are trying to make a "general" list of entries that should be there in a hosts file for IDM, then for users working on an OS older than Win 7 or Win 8, the line 127.0.0.1 localhost "IS REQUIRED" .

for WIn 7 or later OS, that line is OPTIONAL, which means that if it is there, it will do no harm, and if it is not entered manually, it will automatically be included through DNS. this is why, only AFTER win 7 was released, a # was placed before 127.0.0.1 localhost, to make it a comment as this line is already there in the DNS now. this was NOT the original default entry, it is only AFTER win 7 that you see it as #127.0.0.1 localhost, otherwise if you see the host file for any older OS, you will see 127.0.0.1 localhost (without the #)

so, if your list includes that line, it will work on "ALL" OS, otherwise it will be "Limited" to work for Win 7 or later, and XP or older OS users will need to be careful not to remove the line 127.0.0.1 localhost.

if you are trying to share something for ALL users without knowing who is working on which OS, it is best to keep that line in your list on entries for the HOST file, otherwise your wish.

i guess dcs18 assumes that #127.0.0.1 localhost was the default since before win 7... he does not know what is or was the default before win 7 .. or even what does that line mean, which he now calls extra ... and for someone who does not wish to expand his knowledge, the tendancy to argue and meaninglessly trying to prove that they are right is natural. I hope at least you have a seeking mind and are here trying to learn from others knowledge about things.

Respect is "earned" through knowledge sharing. But one can only take the horse to the pond, you can not force them to drink.

so those who have now understood the meaning of that line, can now add or remove it from their own list...

Personally, I would refrain from such childish debaters, but for the greater benefit of other users who read these topics, I hope at least they were able to understand.

Supremo Phantom

those who do not know how host file works would make statements like here and here.

its because they don't read or understand whats written in plain english in the sample hosts file:

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.

those who know will tell you that you can have more than one space or even a tab between the IP address and the name and it will still work.

which means that:

127.0.0.1star.tonec.com

this will NOT work, but

127.0.0.1 star.tonec.com

127.0.0.1 star.tonec.com

they will both work. the minimum one space requirement is like this:

127.0.0.1 star.tonec.com

host file editors automatically take care of the "minimum requirements"

but then, as i said.... one can only take the horse to the pond, you can not force them to drink.

so if you really want to learn how host file works, read carefully what i shared.

Supremo Phantom

and for your knowledge, host file does not accept port information as well ... so even these lines here:

127.0.0.1 174.133.70.101:443
127.0.0.1 174.133.70.101:80
the :443 and :80 will NOT be read by windows.. it only reads till 127.0.0.1 174.133.70.101
so the two lines are basically a replication for the hosts file.
the difference is only in the protocol windows is using... :80 means http (unsecure connection) and :443 means https(secure connection)

@ Roger

The Phantom continues to make weak and impotent attempts to salvage his wounded pride & ego

His attempt to now bring a pre Windows 7 against a post Windows 7 - everybody else knows that you use the a Windows 8.1 Update (everybody - except, the Phantom.)

Respect is earned through knowledge & sharing - yes, but not with a Moron (old jungle saying - check the Phantom archives.)

He has heard through the horse's mouth and yet he's chosen to delude himself about the extra line.

@ others

Speaking of horses - here's a short tale:--

A man attempts to take his horse to the pond for a drink of water. After quite some huffing and puffing, he manages to drag the animal to the bank - but, discovers that he cannot make the horse drink the water. Suddenly, both horse and animal (juxtaposition intended) stumble across Roger - the Phantom says "My Pop and his Pop were both right, "You can take a horse to the pond - but, you cannot force it to drink the water."

Roger says, "But, that's not a horse - that's a donkey."

Suddenly, both Roger and the Phantom hear a thundering voice from behind them - The Perfectionist says to Roger, "That's not the donkey - he is the donkey."

Supremo Phantom

dcs18,

you are a hopeless *** :lol: i can imagine what kind of character you must be by your choice of words now..

you will never learn anything ... may god bless you :P

I don't need to learn from you, who fell into such a transparent trap. :doh:

Edited by shought
Edited content to make poster seem less provocative than he really is.

I think the argument is stretching a bit too much and is degenerating into a discussion too hard. That being said;

Thread closed.