Five year old boy discovers Xbox One security flaw, receives games as thanks

Reefa

xboxone4_12.jpg

Security problems are usually discovered by geeks and people with a lot of time on their hands, but this is not always the case. In fact a flaw in the security of Xbox One was recently discovered by a five year old boy! While using his father's console,Kristoffer Von Hassel was able to log into his dad's account without having to enter the password used to protect it. The boy was understandably excited at the prospect of gaining unfettered access to the account: "I was, like, "yeah!" " he said.

The hack was incredibly simple. After having been presented with the password screen and entering an incorrect password, Kristoffer found out that just by filling up the password field with spaces he was able to log in. The flaw was then reported by Kristoffer's father.

Microsoft has already fixed the problem and by way of thanks has given Kristoffer a life-time subscription to Xbox Live, $50 and four games. He also appears in the list of"Security Researchers" for March on TechNet.

The company issued a statement saying "We're always listening to our customers and thank them for bringing issues to our attention. We take security seriously at Xbox and fixed the issue as soon as we learned about it."

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonar

• Avitar

• 948bennett

• §e♥e♪√

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf - now I never thought of that rofl! My xbox one gets used by our 5 year old too he better not find anything wrong with it lol

When I was 5 years old I was catching frogs and snakes in the creek. xbox was what my uncle called his first wife. :)

tad poles * lol

Kristoffer found out that just by filling up the password field with spaces he was able to log in.

That's incredible - most modern day programs and application do not even qualify the space as an acceptable character in the password (only a 5 year old would've thought of fingering with the space key - probably 'cause the space key being the biggest one on the keyboard.) ^_^

Funny how news agencies, news sites and etc started to get into the internet thing, and starts posting news with titles that attracts viewers but the subject doesn't have anything to do with the title, and these invented stories, news scams, as I call them.Who are they trying to fool? A 5 years old barely knows the alphabet.

Most likely the father got his hand on the bug (if it realy existed) and now he is making his son famous.

Edited by AlexCross

5 year old and dumb enough to tell the father how it works :huh:

I would never tell the "user", which account i use how to break into that account B) How dumb is that kid... Especially to know now the problem does not exist anymore...