"Microsoft Announces Windows 8.1 Update"

dcs18

Microsoft used the BUILD 2014 developer conference in San Francisco to unveil the first major pack of improvements for Windows 8.1, simply called Windows 8.1 Update and available right now for MSDN developers.

Windows 8.1 Update comes with improvements mostly aimed at making the modern operating system more appropriate for desktop computers, including shortcuts for the classic Control Panel in the PC settings screen across the Modern UI.

At the same time, it brings new menus on the Start screen that resemble the traditional context menu options, thus making Metro easier to use with a mouse, as well as a search box and easy to reach power controls.

Another major improvement in Windows 8.1 Update is the addition of options to pin Metro apps to the taskbar and thus launch them without the need for accessing the Start screen, which clearly gives the Modern UI another chance to succeed. Metro apps now have their own title bar and close and minimize buttons, so it’s easier to control them with a mouse.

“We wanted to make Windows 8.1 easier to use for people with mice and keyboards,” Joe Belfiore, corporate vice president and manager for Windows Phone Program Management at Microsoft, said during the BUILD 2014 opening keynote.

“The work that we’ve done to make touch great is unaffected by these changes,” he added, emphasizing that touch remains a key focus for the modern operating system.

A PC settings tile is also placed on the Start screen because mouse users expect to see the Control Panel with the first click, Belfiore continued.

The Windows Store will be pre-pinned to the taskbar to easily reach Metro apps, he said. The store update is going to become mouse and keyboard friendly and all developers are encouraged to do the same changes for their apps as well.

Internet Explorer 11 has received a brand new Enterprise Mode that allows enterprises to set custom compatibility for specific apps and thus keep support for older applications.

Windows 8.1 Update is offered free of charge to all Windows 8.1 users and will be delivered via Windows Update, so the download and installation is performed automatically.

Just as promised, Windows 8.1 Update will go live for all consumers on April 8, together with the other patches prepared by Microsoft for Patch Tuesday.

Windows 8.1 Update is a major change for Microsoft’s modern operating system that has now failed to excite, with most complaints aimed at Redmond’s increased focus on touch features and less on the traditional desktop. Ever since it got to see daylight, Windows 8 was criticized for the touch options it brings, which basically forced many users stick to Windows 7 unless they were buying a touch-capable device.

As you can see, the software giant is planning to address all these complaints by tweaking its operating system in such a way that it would better tackle the PC market and thus make the whole platform a bit more appropriate for those still relying on mice and keyboards as the main input devices.

Of course, the PC industry clearly needs all these improvements, so Windows 8.1 Update is expected to significantly boost sales in the coming months and bring more users to the new modern platform. Additionally, it’s also supposed to contribute to the demise of Windows XP, the OS version that’ll be completely retired on April 8.

Source:

credits:

loyal

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• PrEzi

• psyko666

• Rok

Top Posters In This Topic

i still have windows 8.0 from 2012... this stupid VL edition doesnt let me update and i dont want to format

what can i do? there is no other way i think

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is called also "spring" update and was available since few weeks ago leaked from the ye olde WZOR.

Currently running it as we speak.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is called also "spring" update and was available since few weeks ago leaked from the ye olde WZOR.

Yep.. ^_^

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 1 AND SERVER 2012 R2 SPRING 2014 UPDATE X64 ONLY MSU 9600 17031 140221-1952 WZT

Yep.. ^_^

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 1 AND SERVER 2012 R2 SPRING 2014 UPDATE X64 ONLY MSU 9600 17031 140221-1952 WZT

Has there been any further news on whether or not that WZOR release of a few weeks back was actually the final? I remember on the thread discussing it, some people expressed they weren't so sure, others said they were certain. I installed that release, and so I'm wondering if the final is the same. I sure hope so. I don't want to have to re-install everything right now.

Edited by mray88

The "spring update" leak does not have the new start menu that was shown. I have been using it since the day it was leaked/released. It has new features but not a start menu

Microsoft announces the first major update for Windows 8.1 Written by Zac on April 02, 2014, 09:28AM

Start Screen

Microsoft has officially announced their first major update for Windows 8.1. The new update introduces new features which closer bring the Modern UI experience and Desktop experience together by enabling desktop elements in the Modern UI for mouse and keyboard users.

The new update also includes context menus in the Modern UI which makes using the touch based user interface more easier to use on desktops. Microsoft has also focused on making the operating system smoother and lighter for older hardware with lower specs. This also enables OEM's to release even cheaper tablets.

Another new ability is the fact that the taskbar and title bars can be displayed in Modern UI apps, which makes switching between the two environments ten times easier.

Microsoft has confirmed what we have already known for some time - Windows 8.1 users will be able to get the update via Windows Update on April 8th, while MSDN subscribers will be able to get the update sooner. We'll have a full review of the update soon! Stay tuned.

I hope the function of the close (X) button on metro apps has changed in the final release, becasue all it did was "close" it to the background on the leak.

Microsoft bringing Start menu back in future Windows 8.1 update

img_4907.jpg

Microsoft has announced that the Start menu will be coming back to Windows 8.1 and showed off what it will look when it arrives later this year

This is a huge win for those of you who have wanted a Start menu on Microsoft’s latest version of Windows, and it will likely silence some critics of the platform.

Another new feature that will be coming is that you will be able to run modern apps in a windowed environment too.

The Start menu will be returning to Windows in a future 8.1 update, which is in contrast where we heard that the Start menu would come to Windows with Windows 9.

When you couple the Start menu with the Windows 8.1 update that was announced today as well, Microsoft is doing a lot for the platform in terms of making it user friendly for mouse and keyboard users and for those who do not enjoy the modern environment.

SOurce

Edited by sujith

stylemessiah

Even with the start menu coming back (no time frame, they must love loosing money and CONTINUING to piss people off), im waiting for Windows 9, when hopefully they will have realised the utter stupidity of having 2 interfaces, and reduced it back to one...the desktop

Microsoft bringing Start menu back in future Windows 8.1 update

That comes as a great personal loss, to me. :pissed:

Nevertheless, can't help but feel happy for the masses. :dribble:

Even with the start menu coming back (no time frame, they must love loosing money and CONTINUING to piss people off), im waiting for Windows 9, when hopefully they will have realised the utter stupidity of having 2 interfaces, and reduced it back to one...the desktop

Hasn't there been rumor of them getting rid of the desktop mode in Win9?

The "spring update" leak does not have the new start menu that was shown. I have been using it since the day it was leaked/released. It has new features but not a start menu

Yes, and it shouldn't have the "new" Start Menu -- cause it will come in a future Update. ETA unknown.

And it is FINAL that was leaked by WZOR (build 17031).

Wzor is back....HE posted windows 8.1 update link on his twitter account ...links are here

Edited by loyal

LOL, you deserve a reputation for humor in the rumor which can spread like a malignant tumor. :lmao:

Hope someone will post download links for it soon! :)

me too,,

Well, they should have learned something from their failure with Windows 8. Removing desktop would be disaster for them.

Cheers ;)

Wzor is back....HE posted windows 8.1 update link on his twitter account ...links are here

Thanks, for the link. checking it out.

What is the size of this update? Are, we again going to download 3GB+???

You may, but you don't have to - only the little update part (SP2) shall be rolled out through Windows Update. ;)

• 2 weeks later...