Chrome inches past Firefox in desktop browser battle

sujith

Google’s browser outpaced its Mozilla rival last month by fraction of a percentage point, according to Web tracker Net Applications.

net-app-stats-march-2014.jpg

Net Application

Google Chrome has snuck past Firefox to take second place among desktop browsers, at least as seen in the latest Web traffic stats from Net Applications.

In March, Chrome took home a 17.5 percent slice of all desktop brower traffic, bumping Firefox to third place with a 17.2 percent cut of the action. That effort marked a first for Chrome, which has consistently ranked behind Firefox in Net Applications' monthly reports.

Chrome has been rising up the ranks to challenge Firefox, though not without some bumps in the road. A year ago, Firefox's share of desktop browser traffic was more than 20 percent, while Chrome's was 16.5 percent. Chrome fell further behind during the second half of 2013. But by February, Firefox's cut had dropped to 17.6 percent, while Chrome's had inched up to 16.8 percent.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer ended March with a 58 percent share of desktop browser traffic, down slightly from February but up from 55 percent a year ago.

Among specific browser versions, IE 8 held the top spot last month with a 21 percent share, followed by IE 11 with 15.7 percent and Google Chrome 33 with 12.6 percent.

Source

Edited by sujith

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• Karlston

• dcs18

• SPECTRUM

OMG... what will Mozilla do now?

Start releasing even more tinier updates as major versions so Firefox's version is bigger than Chrome's?

Rename Firefox to "Just-like-Chrome-only-better"?

Change desktop Firefox to use a touch UI only?

I'll stay with Firefox 28.x for a while, then move to the Australis-free Pale Moon.

got chrome and firefox but for some reason i am leaning more and more to chrome...internet explorer is an afterthought on my system and never used

IE11 and Firefox are the best browsers for me atm.

Chrome is a spy botnet, and Opera sux with the new Chromecopy engine.

Edited by SPECTRUM

the only time i use IE is when i install a new system...then the first thing i do is install chrome and firefox

i have installed firefox build 29 beta 5 .Gui is slighlighly different but the high ram usage is not yet fixed.while browsing firefox ok,but while viewing youtube videos,ram usage increases & increases.I only use Google chrome for intranet sites only as it is not good for privacy,