Obama Wants Spain to Ban BitTorrent Sites

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

In recent months we’ve reported several times how Spanish courts have ruled that not only is personal use file-sharing legal in Spain, but file-sharing sites that do not directly profit from infringement are also protected under the law. This allowed the admins of sites like Sharemula to walk away from legal action without a scratch.

Of course, as far as the United States and its piracy watch-lists go, this is an unacceptable situation and one which needs to be changed as quickly as possible.

According to the United States, Spain has one of the worst file-sharing “problems” in the world. The US claims it is consistently among the top five worst countries in terms of overall downloads and that it regularly takes the top position for movie downloads per capita. The MPA(A), who can hardly be trusted to report unbiased stats, says movie downloads by Spanish citizens reached 350 million in 2008.

While video game publishers claim that 50 million games were downloaded illegally last year, it is the music industry that says it suffers most from file-sharing in Spain, claiming that users downloaded around 2 billion tracks in 2008, up 80% compared to 2007. This is blamed mainly on BitTorrent and eDonkey sharing, but there was also a reported increase in sharing via Rapidshare-like file-hosting sites. According to figures cited by the report, 67% of all Spanish Internet users download unauthorized content, raising to 81% in the under 24 years old group.

Of course, the Spanish authorities have taken action against various torrent and sharing sites in the past, but because of Spain’s laws, the prosecution has failed to gain any significant convictions - the admins, as in the case of Sharemula, simply walk. Under Spanish law there is no infringement and this situation, says the US, means that rights holders don’t have the weaponry to go after ‘infringers’. Obama wants to change all that.

The US charges that the Spanish government has done little “to change the widespread misperception in Spain that peer-to-peer file sharing is legal,” referring to the 2006 “decriminalization” notification from the Office of the Prosecutor-General as “problematic”.

Of course, no article on bringing in tougher restrictions on file-sharing would be complete without the obligatory calls for pirates to be disconnected, and the Special 301 Report doesn’t disappoint. The United States says that part of Spain’s “priority action” should include an agreement between ISPs and copyright holders to prevent infringing content being available on the Internet and should include “the immediate and effective implementation of graduated response [3 strikes] procedures.”

If the law doesn’t currently allow such action, the US advises Spain it should takes steps to change it, including rescinding the Chief Prosecutor’s May 2006 official instruction that effectively decriminalized file-sharing.

Post from: TorrentFreak

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish he would just deal with the pirates. notice how they are not in the news over hear anymore. oh that right he solved that already. lol

dragon (demon aka bush or else) is dead!!!!!!!!!!! horrray to NEW dragon!

them all $$$ fucked up ar$elols cant leave Internet users alone.. can they?

Ambrocious

Oh you guys...after Alex Jones opened my eyes about what all this means... this is nothing compared to whats coming guys...

If you want to know the truth despite what it may cost you: freedom, love, respect, and even your life...you guys need to watch "Endgame - Blueprint For Global Enslavement" and "The Obama Deception"

If I could put my life on the line to prove that these videos would wake you up, I would do it to show you what is hapening and how all of whats being reported here is just the very beginning...

I'm spanish and, in many cases, you would close all sites about file-sharing in USA and close all public and private trackers, ed2k servers and filehosting too.

Actually, I think that is impossible but the countries can make international treaties for resolve this whenever all countries ratify them.

In Spain, the copy private isn't a crime but the persecution is about "for-profit" but it is necessary a judicial process (with real proves) like many democratic countries.

The General Society of Authors and Publishers ("$GA€") is a Spanish entity legally recognized as collective management, dedicated to managing the copyrights of its members.

If you speak spanish or are interested about this (you can translate to english with google translator), read it, please:

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/A...dleg1-1996.html

LeetPirate
Oh you guys...after Alex Jones opened my eyes about what all this means... this is nothing compared to whats coming guys...

If you want to know the truth despite what it may cost you: freedom, love, respect, and even your life...you guys need to watch "Endgame - Blueprint For Global Enslavement" and "The Obama Deception"

If I could put my life on the line to prove that these videos would wake you up, I would do it to show you what is hapening and how all of whats being reported here is just the very beginning...

I'm with you on this one. After doing research I realised that the average American has no idea what is going on in the World. Look at 9/11 for instance, for a government to blow up their own buildings and then blame it all on a invented hollywood actor named bin laden you have to ask yourself what won't they do. I mean seriously, how many terrorists make videos and send it to CNN and MSNBC only, then it ends up on youtube? Is that some kind of joke? Only a complete idiot would be fooled by those things. If they could find a man like Saddam, they could surely find this bin laden character, but oh wait that's right, you can't capture imaginary people. Americans don't even realise that the entire 9/11 conspiracy was to introduce the Patriot Act which strips them yet again of their so called freedom. The only way the US government could introduce an outrageous act like the patriot act is by instilling fear into the people that there is an emminent threat and the patriot act is the only way they can secure their safety. utter nonsense, and those gullable people fall for it. I keep saying this to all those brainwashed Americans who believe they have freedom, if you truly had freedom then people who have federal and military jobs would be free to talk badly about the government, but those boneheads don't even realise that they don't even have a basic freedom of speech.

There are so many things like the constant holes they keep blowing into the alaskan ozone layer for their experiments that use up more electricity that the entire rest of the world uses for a year, these people don't care about the environment or anyone else. They only care about their self centered goals for global slavery. I'm not saying I am against scientific experiments, but when it uses a year supply of electricity just to do a single test, such things are insanely selfish and inconsiderate. No wonder the keep saying the oil will run dry, they waste it. It would not have mattered if McCain had won instead of Obama, there is a higher power pulling the strings here. Whatever organisation is behind this regime seems to have 1 ultimate goal, they plan to show Hitler how it should have been done, no code of conduct, no restrictions to race or religion, all for this new world order. I feel sorry for generations to come. My only hope is that more people will open their eyes and realise the truth as you have.

As for piracy, I don't get why America wants to put their nose in every other country's business. Handle piracy in your own country, why should Spain care about American music piracy? Who pays them to handle all those legal claims and administrative work? In my country, piracy is only illegal if it is local publishers or musical artists, it is completely ok to pirate foreign music because our country should not waste resources fighting other country's useless battles. The same should be for any other country, if America has a problem with that then stop exporting music to the world, keep it to yourself. As a music pirate I probably buy more legal music than people who are not pirates, as I am a fan of many rock bands, I buy their fan stuff, music, t-shirts etc. I will never buy a cd unless I pirate the album first and listen to it a few times, this isn't the lottery for me, I won't take a random chance and buy a cd that will end up having only 1 good song. Once I listen to an album and it has a few good songs, I may buy it because I am somewhat of a perfectionist and audiophile. I'm also into this whole bluray thing. As far as I am concerned, if piracy were to stop, I would never know what is good music and won't take chances wasting my money. And no, sample mp3 from websites don't cut it, they are poor quality. As an example, I already heard the new shakira single with timbaland, it was leaked on youtube, it sounds good and I think I want to buy it already.

I agree & disagree with you on this. I disagree with both you & Ambrocious about his post. I still dont nor do I think I ever will understand why you guys choose to believe things & not to believe others. Thats a discussion I already had in the original Obama Deception thread. Still no reply after I posed some tough questions.

I do agree with you on the whole 9/11 thing. Like I said in the OD thread, Congress never delcared "war" on the middle east. Bush sent us over there for oil. They had to take innocent lives to get their greedy hands on the oil thats over there. & then when the election starts, everyone points fingers in different directions. I've said this before: dirty hands cant point clean fingers.

About the piracy thing, if this had been anyone else saying something about Spain's piracy we wouldnt even be talking about it. Yeah its a so called problem but do you seriously think that just because someone says things need to stop they actually will? People have been begging to stop animal cruelty, that hasnt happened. People have begged to stop gun violence, that hasnt happened. People have been begging for world peace, that will never happen. This isnt as big of a deal as people are making it out to be...

Archived