Turkey’s Twitter Ban Collapse Fueled By VPNs and DNS Tricks

shamu726

Friday's news that the Turkish government had banned its citizens from accessing Twitter was depressing but an opportunity to be embraced. Forewarned is forearmed, and the fact that Turks are learning how to beat censorship with VPNs and DNS tricks better prepares them for the future.

twitterlogo.jpg

Two days ago on the campaign trail ahead of end-of-March elections, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan showed his Internet naivety by doing something extremely silly. In the midst of a corruption scandal he first threatened and then carried through with an outright ban of Twitter.

“I don’t care what the international community says at all. Everyone will see the power of the Turkish Republic,” Erdogan said on Thursday.

Angry that Twitter did not respond to requests by Turkish courts to remove material that showed him in a bad light, Erdogan swung the banhammer and by Friday everything was in place. Turkish visitors to Twitter were greeted with notices displayed by their ISPs indicating that Twitter had been blocked by court order.

“Because there was no other choice, access to Twitter was blocked in line with court decisions to avoid the possible future victimisation of citizens,” Turkish telecoms watchdog BTK said on Friday.

What followed was anger from citizens, then delicious payback against yet another government trying – and ultimately failing – to artificially restrict access to information on the Internet.

Rather than bow to Erdogan’s wishes, Turkish citizens reacted in much the same that file-sharers around the world have done when sites such as The Pirate Bay were blocked by their ISPs. They took to the open web to spread the word on how to circumvent web censorship but in a fresh twist, they also took to the streets

The wonderful image below, ironically posted to Twitter itself, shows a poster on a Turkish street explaining how to change DNS settings to obliterate the Twitter ban.

turkposter.jpg

Another photograph, again posted to Twitter, shows graffiti on a housing block informing people of the IP addresses used by Google’s DNS service rather than the ‘infected’ ones offered by local ISPs.

dnsturk1.jpg

But while these images will be a delight to anti-censorship advocates everywhere, it was online that the real battle was taking place. Here at TF we noticed an unusual level of interest from Turkish visitors in our latest VPN article and then later in the day the effect on VPN takeup was confirmed by the company behind Hotspot Shield.

AnchorFree CEO David Gorodyansky told WSJ that 270,000 Turkish users installed their software in one 12 hour period Friday versus around 10,000 on a normal day, a huge increase by any standards.

TorrentFreak spoke with Andrew Lee at Private Internet Access who explained that while his company does not track the identities or locations of its customers, there had definitely been an uptick in signups following the introduction of Twitter censorship in Turkey.

“More and more, we are seeing that censorship is a form of control that the weak use in an attempt to hang onto power. In addition to Turkey, we can also see this happening in China, the United Kingdom and other various countries,” Lee explained.

“Fortunately, the people of this world, including Turkey, are strong, and democracy will continue to stand. As such, the attempt to censor Twitter in Turkey has all but failed.”

This article began with the suggestion that censorship of the type imposed by Turkey is something to be embraced. Not welcomed, of course, but treated as an opportunity to gain knowledge on how the Internet works and how web blockades can be circumvented.

Those who think they can control the Internet and people’s right to communicate should be made to think again and in Turkey this week that point has been admirably made.

According to analysis site Zete.com, tweets in Turkey before the ban numbered 10 million a day – they now sit at 24 million.

Update: According to a local report, Turkey has now appears to have blocked Google’s DNS, although other sources say that this is an actual network issue.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• november_ra1n

• nanoman

• CODYQX4

• masterbaba

Top Posters In This Topic

november_ra1n

Any idiot Prime minister or government thinks that they can Ban part of internet they are the most foolish in the world even China could not manage to block internet as they been trying recent years. Some people predict he has been stolen 100 billion $ trough corruption and he does not want people know about it. Specially via Twitter everyday people posting his, his family and his cabinet recorded phone calls about stealing money and corruption inc other crimes.

Erdogan is not Prime Minister people call him >>> Bascalan [TR] >> Head of thief [EN]

He is not only biggest thief in the Turkish history, he also responsible killing innocent people within Turkey as well as abroad.

Soon he is going to face same dramatic end as it has happened to other dictator, he will be in prison for life or will be dead.

Here is the most popular Bascalan corruption/crime voice recorded videos [Turkish Language]. Updated daily.

https://twitter.com/HARAMZADELER333https://www.youtube.com/user/bascalan/videoshttps://twitter.com/fuatavni
They also manage to block Google DNS Server

Not sure other DNS Server working at the moment i have not test them yet. However solution below still working nicely:

Here is another very easy and free way getting super fast and reliable VPN connection through Google Chrome browser Bypass Turkish BAN:

1. Install latest Chrome [if you don't have installed]

2.Install ZenMate Chrome extention >>>

3. Free register ZenMate

4. Sign in via ZenMate extention..

4. Click ZenMate logo left end of the Chrome then hit one of the 5 IP Country.

s0iv.png

Edited by november_ra1n

Any idiot Prime minister or government thinks that they can Ban part of internet they are the most foolish in the world even China could not manage to block internet

as they been trying recent years

. Some people predict he has been stolen 100 billion $ trough corruption and he does not want people know about it. Specially via Twitter everyday people posting his, his family and his cabinet recorded phone calls about stealing money and corruption inc other crimes.

Erdogan is not Prime Minister people call him >>> Bascalan [TR] >> Head of thief [EN]

Soon he is going to face same dramatic end as it has happened to other dictator, he will be in prison for life or will be dead.

I agree With You On First Part Internet Blocking Will Not Solve Hide Any Thing

But I really advise Turkish People To Solve Their Problems within Turkish Home Especially Those Who really Do care About Turkey.

West & East Don't Want turkey To Step Into The Right Direction & Will Try To Weaken this Country In Every Possible way ,

Erdogan Will Step Out Sooner Or Later, People Chose His Party in last 10 years on Election And IF The Nation Don't Want Him He Won't Get Their Voice Next Time , I Gurrantee He Won't Skin Or Kill Or Cut Of You Cut Fingers Or Pull Of Your Teeth Just To Make People Choose Him For Ever

Turkish People Are not Stupid, It's not About Him , It's All About To Screw Up Your Country And Handle It To Slaves That Do What Ever They are Assigned To Do

Please take Care Of Your Country And Don't Discard The Achievement You Have Already Done So Far To Become Regional Power

Don't Misunderstand Me But When I Talk ,I Know What I'm Talking About

My Country Is Living Situation I Don't Want Any Country To Slip Into

Edited by nanoman

november_ra1n

I agree With You On First Part Internet Blocking Will Not Solve Hide Any Thing

But I really advise Turkish People To Solve Their Problems within Turkish Home Especially Those Who really Do care About Turkey.

West & East Don't Want turkey To Step Into The Right Direction & Will Try To Weaken this Country In Every Possible way ,

Erdogan Will Step Out Sooner Or Later, People Chose His Party in last 10 years on Election And IF The Nation Don't Want Him He Won't Get Their Voice Next Time , I Gurrantee He Won't Skin Or Kill Or Cut Of You Cut Fingers Or Pull Of Your Teeth Just To Make People Choose Him For Ever

Turkish People Are not Stupid, It's not About Him , It's All About To Screw Up Your Country And Handle It To Slaves That Do What Ever They are Assigned To Do

Please take Care Of Your Country And Don't Discard The Achievement You Have Already Done So Far To Become Regional Power

Don't Misunderstand Me But When I Talk ,I Know What I'm Talking About

My Country Is Living Situation I Don't Want Any Country To Slip Into

I have lived in Turkey more then 20 years. I probably know the country very well. Beside he is dictator, thief. corruption and responsible killing many innocent people just because they are protesting what government doing in the country. Not only that he has been sending army weapon using Turkish territory illegally to order to help some fundamental Islamic group such as in Syria, Nigeria & Egypt, so he is also responsible some other killing abroad. Beside you do not to live in the same country to raise your opinion.

Since Atatürk [being the founder of the Republic of Turkey] people have living in civil society and try to run by democratic way and no way going back Islamic rules neither run by idiot dictator.

Edited by november_ra1n

I have lived in Turkey more then 20 years. I probably know the country very well. Beside dictator, thief. corruption and responsible killing many innocent people just because they are protesting what government doing in the country. Beside you do not to live in the same country to raise your opinion.

May Be I don't Live In Turkey, Just Beside Where MANY over "300.000" Died Or Got Permanent Life Ban , Be Sure That I Know These Words You Mentioned Above Literally & Practically

Edited by nanoman

Since Atatürk [being the founder of the Republic of Turkey] people have living in civil society and try to run by democratic way and no way going back Islamic rules neither run by idiot dictator.

That's Right But Same People Currently Living In Civil Society Have Chosen His Party Not Only Once & Gave The Trust For Over Than 10 Years

when next election occurs & Hope To Early One , They Kick His Ass If Really Nation Disapprove Him / His Fellows

Why Democracy Isn't So Welcome When It Brings Ones From Sect Or Religion That We Don't Prefer ,BTW Those Islamic Rules That Pass On Turkey

Gave Her The Main Core Shape Before The Ataturk @ Least You Didn't Get Kingdom You Got Republic , Who Don't Approve History Has No Future .

Again Why I'm Replying Here Cause I Do Care For What I Consider Neighbor Brothers Country While Other Wish Your Country To Be Shredded Apart And Lose

It's Way , I Believe You Know Exactly What I'm Talking About

Solve Your Problems within Turkish Home

Good Luck

Edited by nanoman

november_ra1n

That's Right But Same People What Currently Living In Civil Society Have Chosen His Party Not Only Once & Gave The Trust For Over Than 10 Years

Good Luck

Election does not clean dirt and blood on their hands of any politician or Prime Minister that's court to decide recently he also bypass court system in Turkey same as bypass some internet side cause he knows what he has done and scared about his future. I do not want to go further one way another he will have to go and sooner or later he will get his chair in the prison cell for a long time hoping forever. That is where corrected any politicians belongs.

Edited by november_ra1n

Election does not clean dirt and blood on their hands of any politician or Prime Minister that's court to decide recently he also bypass court system in Turkey same as bypass some internet side cause he knows what he has done and scared about his future. I do not want to go further one way another he will have to go and sooner or later he will get his chair in the prison cell for a long time hoping forever. That is where corrected any politicians belongs.

Let Time Tell :lol:

Hope The Best, Prosperity And Peace For Your Country .

Bro Just Don't Be Mad At ME , We Still Friends Right !!! ;)

Edited by nanoman

I have lived in Turkey more then 20 years. I probably know the country very well. Beside he is dictator, thief. corruption and responsible killing many innocent people just because they are protesting what government doing in the country. Not only that he has been sending army weapon using Turkish territory illegally to order to help some fundamental Islamic group such as in Syria & Somalia so he is also responsible some other killing abroad. Beside you do not to live in the same country to raise your opinion.

Even as an outsider it was obvious right from the start (around 2004) that Erdogan would use the accession talks with the EUSSR to diminish the power of the army, these EUSSR morons believe that democracy is right, except when is doesn't convene and they themselves are far from democratically elected themselves, and (military) dictatorship is wrong, except when they are the dictators.

In Turkey (and many other mohammedan majority countries) the military (dictatorships) often guarantee equal freedoms/oppression for every group, not mohammedan superiority over minorities.

Turkey has reportedly blocked Google DNS inside its borders, eliminating a backdoor that briefly helped Turks stay connected to Twitter after the country banned access. Earlier this week, Turkey's prime minister promised to "eradicate" the popular service with the help of a court order. "I don't care what the international community says," Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said at a campaign rally. "Everyone will witness the power of the Turkish Republic." Twitter says it's looking into claims that the company failed to remove content deemed inflammatory by local courts, but has encouraged users to continue posting tweets via SMS in the meantime.

Typing in Google's Domain Name System addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) into a computer's network settings offered a reliable way to circumvent the ban and helped ensure Turks could keep using the service. Some had even taken to spray-painting those addresses in visible outdoor locations, according to reports. Since Turkey has now shut down that pathway, according to the Hürriyet Daily News, Turkish internet users are continuing to share other DNS alternatives to maintain their link to Twitter.

Though Turkey's ban doesn't affect other social networking sites like Facebook, the country's government is still taking fierce criticism for the move. The White House issued an official statement yesterday, saying the US would "support the people of Turkey in their calls to restore full access to the blocked technologies." The State Department put out a separate statement, imploring Turkey to "unblock its citizens access to Twitter and ensure free access to all social media platforms." We've reached out to Google for a statement on the status of Google DNS in Turkey.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/22/5536230/turkey-reportedly-cuts-off-twitter-backdoor-blocks-google-dns

november_ra1n
Some of the working DNS Servers:
208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.2204.2.2.1 / 4.2.2.2198.153.192.1 / 198.153.194.1156.154.70.22 / 156.154.71.22

John Lennon - Imagine HD :view:

Edited by november_ra1n

Update: Turkey is now blocking Twitter’s IP addresses at the ISP level in the country so that users aren’t able to use any DNS services to circumvent the block.

Edited by F3dupsk1Nup

I'm originally from the states, but I've lived in Turkey for 11 years now and it is my second 'home'. I love this country and it's people.. I hate a group that limits free speech in any way however. Long live Atatürk and his principles. He would roll over in his grave if he saw the people who were running his ship now..

november_ra1n

YouTube Banned in Turkey

There is a lot of option using VPN Service for free here is just the few:

1. ZenMate is the asiest and fastest connection i have already explained on there #2 >>>

2. Yesterday i was also testing tor browser amazingly fast i like it too its like private browset using Firefox Portable version you need to go to Tools >>> Adds-on.. Plugins >>> Shockwave Flash >> Turn to Always Activate

Here is the more info and latest Tor Browser download link >>>

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Video Instruction How to install and use >>>>

https://media.torproject.org/video/torbrowser-docs/How-to-download-and-use-TBB-in-Windows.mp4

For Youtube change https link to http >>> http://www.youtube.com/

2x1o.png

Edited by november_ra1n

Ban All Social Media

Leaking National Security Stuff Is Big Betrayal For The Country

Who Ever Did It,They Will Get What They deserve weather inside Country Or Out Side Sooner Or Later <_<