NIS 2009 and programs phoning home...

harvleroy49

harvleroy49

I have the NIS 2009 firewall setup to block most programs from 'phoning home'. Some programs, especially Adobe CS4 have "modules" that attempt to connect to the internet even though I have the main program blocked. I'm getting tired of having to click on 'block this instance' every time the program starts. I can't find anything that would allow me to set 'block always' for these modules. Photoshop alone must have thirty or so modules. Is there any way to do a mass module block?

Anyone here got a clue?

P.S. Thanks to Box. Two weeks and still running on 2.9. If it dies, I'm probably gonna buy it, as long as I can fix this annoyance.

• Replies 5
  • Views 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the NIS 2009 firewall setup to block most programs from 'phoning home'. Some programs, especially Adobe CS4 have "modules" that attempt to connect to the internet even though I have the main program blocked. I'm getting tired of having to click on 'block this instance' every time the program starts. I can't find anything that would allow me to set 'block always' for these modules. Photoshop alone must have thirty or so modules. Is there any way to do a mass module block?

Anyone here got a clue?

P.S. Thanks to Box. Two weeks and still running on 2.9. If it dies, I'm probably gonna buy it, as long as I can fix this annoyance.

U'll have to block them one by one. either by doing what your doing or by manually adding the exe's to be blocked.

I'm not sure if adobe has everything in one main DIR (so you could just block that whole folder)

harvleroy49

Great idea... How can you block a folder at a time? I just tried adding a folder and no luck. I can't add more than one file at a time.

Is there a way? I just checked and there are 35 modules associated with Photoshop. Adding 35 blocks is a major pain in the ass. My old firewall (SystemSuite) required one block.

Adding the domains the program contacts would probably be the best way to stop all types of Adobe's programs from calling home. Whenever a program tries to resolve activate.adobe.com to an ip address, you could make it 127.0.0.1, which is basically your own computer.

To do this, go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Find the file "hosts." You may need administrator privileges to write to this file. In Vista, you sometimes can't save it directly, just copy the file to your desktop (or anywhere else), edit it there, and copy it back in.

At the bottom of the hosts file, just add this line:

127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com

Then it should all be good.

harvleroy49

That was already done some time ago.

I tried adding more of the 'modules' but now I'm occasionally getting an error saying some of these already have 'rules', even though I don't see them listed.

tonyblair

I was also upset by these programs "phoning home", I tried as you different solutions but the best I find till now is my hardware firewall:

1-I monitor the activity on the internet connection thanks to Commview.

2-I identify the Adress range of the sites called by these programs thanks to SmartWhois

3-I banned them with the rules on the Hardware firewall.

4- Commview shows you that these programs are blocked from accessing the net.

5- Temporarly I can allow the connection because I need it, and I block it later (just checking boxes and unchecking them)

Now I am in control of my PC. :clap:

Archived