Microsoft to offer $50 to give up XP addiction

anuseems

Before the baby crawls across the ceiling

Microsoft is pulling out all the stops to get people to get their machines off Windows XP.

Incentives include a $50 gift card, 90 days of free support, and free help with data transfer if you buy a brand new Windows machine from its online store. The listed machines include four desktops ranging from $700 to $1300, and four laptops priced between $280 and $700. A bunch of 2-in-1 PCs and tablets are also available The free premium support comes via phone, chat, and sales channels.

The computer giant has collaborated with data migration service Laplink to help you easily transfer all your files, settings, and user profiles from your old machine to your new one. It is all through the Microsoft store and since most people dont buy a PC through that it is largely academic. There are still a lot of XP machines still out there latest figures suggest that nearly 18 per cent of the world is still running the OS.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34217-microsoft-to-offer-$50-to-give-up-xp-addiction

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LeeSmithG

• anuseems

• SPECTRUM

• banned

A $50 gift card wow what a spectacular offer I shall "upgrade" right away not.

A $50 gift card wow what a spectacular offer I shall "upgrade" right away not.

I already suggested what M$ should do and that is a 50% discount, 50 bux is tight arsed!

This ain't gonna make people jump onto the Win8 bandwagon, I don't think. All this will achieve (if anything at all) is that it will throw more people into the lap of Windows 7. Win 7 is going to become the de-facto XP of the next generation LOL. Nice going, MS! :lol: :doh:

MS Fathered this child so support it. It's not that expensive to continue minimal support and keep the rest of the web safe. XP will naturally die in it's own time. Just getting rid of XP won't make any difference in their bottom line either. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD PRODUCT And SUPPORT IT PEOPLE WILL BUY IT! A MORE SERIOUS APPROACH would be to give a NO STRINGS ATTACHED $150-$350 Trade In Voucher on any new machine with Win 8 installed. Then you'll see XP disappear much faster.

MidnightDistortions

I wonder how many people use both XP and either W7 or W8. I do that sometimes, in fact just yesterday i was using it to try to run a scan on a hard drive that said it needed formatting. W7 wouldn't scan it but XP worked on it right away & it accesses the drive just fine now.

Microsoft to offer $50 to give up XP addiction

I vomited XP nearly 5 years ago and it's the most deserving candidate (after Vista) to be strangulated with both hands - surprised that Microsoft is actually paying for that laundry (I did it absolutely free of cost.) <_<

FWIW, I don't see any OS qualifying for the next XP - Microsoft are too greedy to permit any OS to last a decade, like XP. :huh:

Now at $100.

Here