Why Have Most Windows 8 Users Not Upgraded to Windows 8.1?

anuseems

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to Windows 8. Its what the original Windows 8 should have been, with important improvements for both desktop and tablet users. So why are more people using Windows 8 than Windows 8.1?

From Howtogeek:

Its hard not to see this as a failure for Microsoft. Windows 8.1 is the first new version of Windows theyve given out for free to existing users and most Windows 8 users arent biting. Usage Statistics Windows 8.1 was released on October 17, 2013, over four months ago. Microsoft is set to release another significant update, known as Windows 8.1 Update 1, next month. More people are still using Windows 8 than Windows 8.1, even after theyve had over four months to install this free update. NetMarketShare shows 6.83% usage for Windows 8 and 4.3% usage for Windows 8.1. We wouldnt expect Windows 8 to vanish overnight, but its a shock to see Windows 8 outperforming Windows 8.1 by such a wide margin. This is especially shocking given how deeply flawed Windows 8 was and how many changes were made in Windows 8.1 to smooth out the experience for everyone. Its in the Windows Store, Not Windows Update Previous versions of Windows distributed updates via Windows Update.

http://www.howtogeek.com/184604/why-have-most-windows-8-users-not-upgraded-to-windows-8.1/

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 15
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudrax

• CODYQX4

• Ryrynz

• kamineepandya

They have just different brain construction. And it cannot be cured. But they are very happy - they don't know that.

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to Windows 8. Its what the original Windows 8 should have been, with important improvements for both desktop and tablet users. So why are more people using Windows 8 than Windows 8.1?

They have just different brain construction. And it cannot be cured. But they are very happy - they don't know that.

answer is simple put it in windows update not the store and make it available to non MS account holders, DER!!

Most users wouldn't have a clue how to do it or it even exists.

Exactly this.

See, this is why Chrome automatically upgrades in the background. Google aren't fucking stupid, users are, they generally have zero idea on how to update software.

Edited by Ryrynz

kamineepandya

Sir

I had wind 8 pro and enterprise, only pro could be upgraded through store and I tried 216 timed but it used to get struck at 47%.I also lodged a complaint with Microsoft but was shocked that my key was blocked and the same was detected by the software provide to me for proceeding and I had to give up. I lastly downloaded from nsane forum and activated .Thanks to nsane forum

I have a bad experience with this : I have windows 8 pro (preinstalled on laptop)..valid for a free upgrade to windows 8.1 through the store

I tried to upgrade and after downloading and restarting laptop , it is stucked there for hours and getting more hot

Finally (after 3 hours) I try to restore windows 8 again but this was a nightmare for more than a week to completely restore

windows 8 ...and of course no support from Microsoft ,,,,so NO UPGRADE again till being done through windows update as service pack

Windows 8.1 expected to be just the update for windows 8, not a whole OS itself having 3000+ MBs. Hello MSFT, we don't have that much bandwidth to download your frequent huge sh!t.

MidnightDistortions

It's also due to the 3rd party start menu blocking the start screen.

a coupe of reasons... when 8.1 first came out a lot of people could not find it in the store because they first needed a few updates form the update center...many people have updates turned off because they just do not have the bandwidth to spare...see the posts above....lots of confusion on how to update/upgrade as previous OS form microsoft did this with service packs from update...and also as mentioned microsoft has still not realized many users just "turn the key to on" and just drive fully expecting their computer to do everything form spell checking to preventing viruses that they open to tie their shoes and wipe their bums and just do not realize they still need to be a user with brains

my friend had another strange problem:

After upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0 his office 2013 is gone and when he tried to register his genuine key after installing again,

it said the keys are not valid!

I tried multiple times to update to windows 8.1 but my windows 8 version doesnt let me or ask me to do the upgrade...

i will not install everything from scratch again

From Howtogeek:

Its hard not to see this as a failure for Microsoft. Windows 8.1 is the first new version of Windows theyve given out for free to existing users and most Windows 8 users arent biting. Usage Statistics Windows 8.1 was released on October 17, 2013, over four months ago. Microsoft is set to release another significant update, known as Windows 8.1 Update 1, next month. More people are still using Windows 8 than Windows 8.1, even after theyve had over four months to install this free update. NetMarketShare shows 6.83% usage for Windows 8 and 4.3% usage for Windows 8.1. We wouldnt expect Windows 8 to vanish overnight, but its a shock to see Windows 8 outperforming Windows 8.1 by such a wide margin. This is especially shocking given how deeply flawed Windows 8 was and how many changes were made in Windows 8.1 to smooth out the experience for everyone. Its in the Windows Store, Not Windows Update Previous versions of Windows distributed updates via Windows Update.

http://www.howtogeek.com/184604/why-have-most-windows-8-users-not-upgraded-to-windows-8.1/

Why are people still using 8 rather than 8.1?

Maybe they like 8 , maybe they're too stupid to update or maybe their key is not kosher!

simple as that they don't wanna update something they don't like specially when already stuck with a buggy OS.

After downloading windows 8 (the whole 3000+ MBs) and installing it when one finds out that he can't even change the titlebar text font color, what makes MSFT to expect that people will download another 3000+ MBs regardless, whether it's capable of changing the tiltlebar font text color or not.

MSFT, you do whatever you want to protect your product's activation from being bypassed, but never snatch the right to customize from user as the way MSFT, you like your your product, users may not like it that way rather, they would be happy to see white title text while applying black theme because MSFT, you may be capable of seeing black text on black titlebar but we can't.

Edited by rudrax

A very funny thread! :lmao:

It confirms my belief that you can best upgrade to a new Windows version after the first and only Service Pack has been released.

At least until Microsoft gets its act together (first chance for that will likely be Windows 9).

I especially agree that MS should let the users keep useful customizing options and that 3rd party software should not impact on flawless upgrading.

Edited by Fallon