Perspective: Microsoft risks security reputation ruin by retiring XP

anuseems

Microsoft's plans to ship the final public patches for Windows XP on April 8 could undo its hard-won reputation for security and hurt itself as much as the customers who end up with an infected XP system.

Von Computerworld:

A decade ago, Microsoft kicked off SDL, or Security Development Lifecycle, a now-widely-adopted process designed to bake security into software, and began building what has become an unmatched reputation in how a vendor writes more secure code, keeps customers informed about security issues, and backs that up with regular patches.

But the Redmond, Wash. company, which just touted SDL's 10-year history with a flashy, anecdote-filled online presentation, seems willing to risk torching that hard-won reputation by pulling the plug on Windows XP.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246837/Perspective_Microsoft_risks_security_reputation_ruin_by_retiring_XP

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CODYQX4

• masterupc

• anuseems

• MidnightDistortions

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno what ppl expect but, i think you can't expect that you get support for a software that is over 10 years old, it is just a waste of time to keep trying to improve such old software, people afraid of changes need to stop crying and finally switch to a newer Windows.

@BBS

For home users there's no big deal in upgrading to win7/8.1 and I'm one of them who migrated to w8.1 in order to learn how to fix it and how to improve it.

But for large business, there is a big problem. It's not that it's unaffordable, it's the hassle of migrating every single PC to the now OS (think of a hundred or more PC's with different HW), making sure all that's installed still works... and if not? More problems, more wasted time, more security risks... and if the HW doesn't fit the OS? And if...?

And then you discover that you must redevelop all the SW that works on win xp to run on win 7/8.1 and that increases the costs of migration, and time. It's not easy task and it's something to think about. If winxp works fine, why change? As a business, I don't need DirectX 11.1 in order to read emails or create worksheets or print documents or work with proprietary sofware (designed to run on xp).

That's why I think there are a lot of ppl not switching to a newer OS.

If you are running XP, most probably Windows 8 CPU required instructions are not embodied in the processor thus precluding Windows 8 installation.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) are features of the processor, and they're needed to run Windows 8 & 8.1.

• PAE gives 32-bit processors the ability to use more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows, and is a prerequisite for NX.

• NX helps your processor guard the PC from attacks by malicious software.

• SSE2 is a standard instruction set on processors that is increasingly used by third-party apps and drivers.

Edited by Lysoform

@BBS

For home users there's no big deal in upgrading to win7/8.1 and I'm one of them who migrated to w8.1 in order to learn how to fix it and how to improve it.

But for large business, there is a big problem. It's not that it's unaffordable, it's the hassle of migrating every single PC to the now OS (think of a hundred or more PC's with different HW), making sure all that's installed still works... and if not? More problems, more wasted time, more security risks... and if the HW doesn't fit the OS? And if...?

And then you discover that you must redevelop all the SW that works on win xp to run on win 7/8.1 and that increases the costs of migration, and time. It's not easy task and it's something to think about. If winxp works fine, why change? As a business, I don't need DirectX 11.1 in order to read emails or create worksheets or print documents or work with proprietary sofware (designed to run on xp).

It didn't happen overnight, they retirement of XP was announced years ago

@BBS

It didn't happen overnight, they retirement of XP was announced years ago

It only shows how hard to migrate is and why it's not an easy decision...

MidnightDistortions

IMO if you can't afford to upgrade your equipment maybe it's time to learn Linux. Eventually W7 will get the boot as well, most likely the same thing will happen with companies or people who 'can't afford it'. Xp users had plenty of time to mess around with Linux. Even though i am not liking MS's business practices, this problem is not users alone. MS could have done a far better job of helping people migrate to a newer system.

I had no problem with Vista or Windows 7. Windows 8 is more of a 'some hate some like kind of thing' but hasn't done much better than Vista. Using older OS's has always been in the minority until XP came around, back then when the economy wasn't in such bad shape. MS has every right to dump XP and it's really up to XP users what to do. On the other hand i am not going to buy a new printer that only works with W98 and XP because HP refuses to give W7 support, it just means i won't ever buy a printer from HP again.

Then again, do you see people trading in their old beater that gets them through another day to get a new car that has ABS brakes, A/C, better gas mileage and airbags? I still see older cars that shouldn't even be on the road. I think no matter what users will still be on XP, but they shouldn't blame MS for when they get hit by hackers.