Dell charging EU customers for Firefox installation, Mozilla's not having it

Reefa

dell-hed33.jpg

Installing a web browser is not a challenging task. In fact, you probably installed the one you're using today all by yourself. Nevertheless, Dell is offering to take the burden off the hands of customers in Europe. The cost of avoiding a few lazy double clicks? Only £16 in the UK or €19.60 (about $26.74) the EU. The bizarre service can be found on the accessories page when ordering select workstations, specifically the OptiPlex 7010. It's a strange and unnecessary option, harkening back to Best Buy's silly PS3 Firmware upgrade surcharge. It's also a blatant violation of Mozilla's trademark policy, which states that companies may not charge for the company's software in its unaltered, Mozilla-branded form. According to The Register, Mozilla is already looking into the matter. That said, there's no reason for anybody to buy this absurd add-on: installing Firefox is ridiculously easy. We promise.

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reefa

• shamu726

• Idna

• jackieo

Top Posters In This Topic

broascadilie

Wow i am amazed.Even a total noob woold know how to install it.

Greedy bastards !

Wow i am amazed.Even a total noob woold know how to install it.

Greedy bastards !

I was totally shocked to..Almost like i didn't believe it..preying on the noobs i suppose it's nothing new really though..Except maybe how blatent this one is..

They're not violating anything. They simply sell a service, in this case installation of a software product, service that takes an amount of time to perform; then, the money is subjected to taxes, once for the company, then for the employee, so, in reality, that amount is a couple of times smaller. I agree with all of you that it's not worth it, but maybe there are individuals who may not know how to do this :).

They're not violating anything.

Read the article carefully:

It's also a blatant violation of Mozilla's trademark policy, which states that companies may not charge for the company's software in its unaltered, Mozilla-branded form.

From Mozilla Trademark Policy:

If you want to distribute the unchanged official binaries using the Mozilla Marks, you may do so, [...,] as long as you comply with this Trademark Policy and you distribute them without charge.

46865725.jpg

Installing a web browser is not a challenging task. In fact, you probably installed the one you're using today all by yourself.

Not the IE users, no. :tehe:

They're not violating anything.

Read the article carefully:

It's also a blatant violation of Mozilla's trademark policy, which states that companies may not charge for the company's software in its unaltered, Mozilla-branded form.

From Mozilla Trademark Policy:

If you want to distribute the unchanged official binaries using the Mozilla Marks, you may do so, [...,] as long as you comply with this Trademark Policy and you distribute them without charge.

Hate to be the Dell's Devil's advocate, but Idna's right. They're not charging for the software, but for the installation service. It's the service they're charging for, not the piece of software. ;)

Still they're scumbags, but everybody's entitled to charge for their services rendered. For people like us on tech forums, it may seem ludicrous, but 90% of people I know (and that includes mostly young people in their teens and twenties, not older, non-tech-savvy grannies and grandpas) fall in this category. They barely know how to install software, change homepage settings, update Windows, burn DVD's, clean malware from their PC's basically anything more than updating their FB status and checking E-Mails. :rolleyes:

If everybody knew how to do all these basic PC operation/maintenance stuff, tech support technicians would all lose their jobs. But I do feel horrible for the poor guys who end up paying 16 quids for a browser installation. I'd have taken pity on them and done it for free tbh. ;)

It's the same thing I feel, when I see people paying to have the air and oil filters changed or even their tires, for that matter. To me, it seems bizarre, but that's most people. ^_^

Edited by calguyhunk

MidnightDistortions

I'm glad i switched to building my own PC. The suckers who fall for this. I agree though some don't know how to install stuff but that's when you have your local computer guy do this for you. Heck i'm pretty sure best buy will do this for free, even if they don't i'm pretty sure there's an article for dummies on how to download and install firefox. With that being said, i don't like this idea that Dell charges to install Firefox.. because for an example, you used to be able to buy the rubber for your windshield wipers until too many people must have gotten lazy and bought both the blade and the metal adapter harness thingy. Now in order to just get the rubber i have to buy it from amazon.com.

SnakeMasteR

You can sell everything as service and there always will be some people that pay for it.

To be honest, a good customer service helps you in any case, not only hardware related and that free of charge.

They could also offer a "Defragmentation software installation" service, a "Antivirus Installation" service, a "How to poop without making too much noise" service, nobody forces you to use it but that IS a greedy move.

There is just a small possibility that you are buying support for the software also. Which you would not have any other way.

I dont know Dell's policy, but it seems likely.