Windows 8 is the most vulnerable Windows OS

anuseems

Microsofts Windows 8 platform has been tagged by security research firm Secunia as having the most vulnerabilities of any Windows platform on the market. As you can see in the chart above, its quite clear that, according to their research, that Windows 8 had more vulnerabilities than previous versions of Windows that are currently supported by Microsoft for 2013.

If you are wondering why Windows 8 tops the charts, even though Microsoft touts the platform as more secure than its predecessors, the answer is quite simple; Flash. Because Flash is now baked into the modern instance of IE, any Flash vulnerability can now be tied into Windows 8 as well.

This is certainly not a trend that Microsoft would like to see but the facts, are well, the facts. When Microsoft announced that Flash would be baked into the modern IE browser, knowing the history of Flash, this exact issue was raised many times.

Seeing that Microsoft is not directly responsible for the Flash code, this means that there is more room for vulnerabilities and the result is the chart above.

Flash has long had a history of being vulnerable and generally an insecure piece of software. With this latest report, it goes to show that Flash is causing Windows 8 to be less secure, in terms of vulnerabilities reported, than its predecessors.

When you compare the vulnerabilities across the Windows OS versions, you can see that XP, Vista and 7 are all at about the same point but Windows 8 nudges ahead by about 54 vulnerabilities. While you cant directly say that the 54 additional vulnerabilities are related to Flash, we suspect that many of the additional areas of weakness are related to the Adobe software.

Will this report have any effect on the adoption of Windows 8? Probably not, but it certainly is not helping the platforms image either. Microsoft recently reported that 200 million licenses for Window 8 have been sold and while that is a massive number, it does trail that of Windows 7.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-is-the-most-vulnerable-windows-os-you-can-thank-flash-for-that

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stylemessiah

• CODYQX4

• oliverjia

• anuseems

Top Posters In This Topic

The build-in flash in Windows 8 seems to be updated very promptly upon new version of flash released. I don't think this article is accurate, considering many flash installations in other version of Windows are much more likely outdated.

Edited by oliverjia

But wait wasnt secure boot supposed to make Windows 8 impregnable?

Oh wait, that right it was meant to stop you putting another OS on your own PC:

Seriously, given that we know Adobe software is evil and i harp on about getting rid of Flash (hopefully it will die this year)to everyone i know, it still cant explain how even at the OS level Windows 8 is the least secure Microsoft OS ever.....how do you make a new OS with far better knowledge of exploits than the previous versions even worse? answer: Make a rushed OS, you know, like vista was.....

Seriously, 50+ more security holes than Windows XP. maybe it isnt time to retire Windows XP after all, well except for the lack of driver support and future updates...just think if you run windows XP beyond its support end of life in April, it would probably take you the best part of 6 months (or mroe) to catch up to the number of security holes as Windows 8 :)

I guess this debunks those who when you criticise Windows 8 on here say "yeah but if you forget about the GUI, what else is wrong with it"...apparently plenty

Die Windows 8...you red headed stepchild

Edited by stylemessiah

Flash+Java = shit that needs to burn in hell, by any means necessary, along with IE8 (still popular to XP and existing even on 7).

At the very least make Java desktop app only, and burn flash.

Most flash games have been turned into iOS/Android apps, and there is HTML 5 video playing stuff out now (sadly I still see Flash in some places).

Adobe shit in general is probably responsible for 90% of the security flaws most users leave themselves open to.

Also someone who needs their teeth kicked in decided to bundle Ask (scummiest web company still around) right in the update process for Java.

Adobe software should be removed from society :) Its fricking evil and easily the worst coded software in history.

I used to maintain about 40+ school servers and we, despite a lot of whining, removed:

* Adobe Reader - changed to Foxit

* Java - OpenOffice/LibreOffice will run without it, and it was the only valid program that we originally had Java installed for, but as the OO/LO has matured its less reliant.

Of course we couldnt sever ties with Flash, because site programmers/content providers are lazy....

We did block the kiddies from running flash games though :)

Now to get rid of fricking Flash, hopefully with Youtube leading the way (still beta atm) on HTML5 wide scale we can remove the last vestige of Adobe's crap from the worlds PC.

Imagine a worldwide Flash uninstall day, i cant wait!

MidnightDistortions

After all that boasting that W8 is the most secure OS of all time, LOL!! Time to move back to XP where it's safer to use than Windows 8!! :duh: :pos:

LOL.. seriously, do you guys really believe Windows 8 itself is less secure than Windows XP?

Come on people.

one can always right anything to criticize a software; the question is only when users are effected, it's easy to say because of flash windows is vulnerable; I have been using it now since last year it came out, I never experienced anything to date so as much as technicalities might sound reasonable however reality bites always!

stylemessiah

Flash+Java = shit that needs to burn in hell, by any means necessary, along with IE8 (still popular to XP and existing even on 7).

At the very least make Java desktop app only, and burn flash.

Most flash games have been turned into iOS/Android apps, and there is HTML 5 video playing stuff out now (sadly I still see Flash in some places).

Adobe shit in general is probably responsible for 90% of the security flaws most users leave themselves open to.

Also someone who needs their teeth kicked in decided to bundle Ask (scummiest web company still around) right in the update process for Java.

Adobe software should be removed from society :) Its fricking evil and easily the worst coded software in history.

I used to maintain about 40+ school servers and we, despite a lot of whining, removed:

* Adobe Reader - changed to Foxit

* Java - OpenOffice/LibreOffice will run without it, and it was the only valid program that we originally had Java installed for, but as the OO/LO has matured its less reliant.

Of course we couldnt sever ties with Flash, because site programmers/content providers are lazy....

We did block the kiddies from running flash games though :)

Now to get rid of fricking Flash, hopefully with Youtube leading the way (still beta atm) on HTML5 wide scale we can remove the last vestige of Adobe's crap from the worlds PC.

Imagine a worldwide Flash uninstall day, i cant wait!

It is really sad that instead of killing Flash, we have had it burned into the OS, and Chrome.

What's next, Java?

Yet another reason to avoid Windows 8, the Flash embedded by Microsoft for IE in Windows....have a friend who is on a revolving cycle of "update your Flash player" in Windows 8 IE, only to find you cant update it the normal way, via Adobe, because Microsoft in their infinite stupidity, bake their own version for use in IE....and theres delays between Adobe version and "Microsoft" baked versions. So lets see, Adobe (who couldnt write a Hello World program without security holes) finds yet another hole and patches it, but then theres a delay before Microsoft bakes their version....those zero day hackers must love that delay....

Anyone who is stupid enough to use Chrome is already being hacked and data mined, by google, by clicking i Agree on the install, that it has flash baked in is only an added issue.

Edited by stylemessiah