How to speed up Windows boot.

LeetPirate

Bizarre™

@demonon:

Would the printer stlll work without the Print Spooler service?

Aside from the printer, what specific svchost process did you disable?

@jofre:

My computer boots ≤25 sec.

• Replies 50
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a list (on paper) and it says Print Spooler Service must stay »»» "Automatic".

@Bizarre : <_< 25 seconds or less ? - Then you have just Windows without applications ?

LeetPirate
@demonon:

Would the printer stlll work without the Print Spooler service?

Aside from the printer, what specific svchost process did you disable?

@jofre:

My computer boots ≤25 sec.

I think all printers even non physical ones require the print spooler service. All printers seem to go through the spooler service even though not every printer may need it. For example I have a network printer which has enough onboard RAM to cache many documents but I still cannot print or even see the printer on the computer without the spooler service running. I think there is a way I could telnet or ftp ascii data directly to the printer but there is no way I could send a formatted word document through without using the spooler.

Try it yourself, enter a console and type "net stop spooler" and press enter. After it is stopped go look for your installed printers, there won't be any, press F5 to refresh to make sure none show up. If on the other hand you never plan to print from the computer then you can disable the spooler without any problems, it should free up about 3 to 5MB of RAM.

btw 25 seconds is awesome, Microsoft's design goals for XP included that it should boot to a usable state within 30 seconds so you certainly got your money's worth :P . I don't think mine can boot that fast after I install all the drivers I use, especially nvidia. I'd have to time it. My concern is really speeding up my notebook which has vista and takes more than 1 min to start up even after I killed a bunch of services I don't need. I should consider myself lucky since I searched about for solutions and saw that some people's vista took 3 to5 mins to start up, lol. I cannot wait for Windows 7 official release, I am going to purchase it the day before it retails on the market, Vista blows in so many ways.

I finally timed my boot up. Stopwatch started from the second I pressed the power button, the BIOS boots up from 0 to 20 seconds, XP boots to usable state from 21 to 45 seconds. My BIOS takes long it seems, and my graphics card BIOS takes 5 seconds to boot out of that initial 20 seconds. I doubt there is anything I could do further.

Running Processors

task.th.jpg

Disabled Services

servicesk.th.jpg

I'm sure there's more I can get rid of that I don't use

EDIT:

I'm down to 17

Still playing around with it.

SacredCultivator

Questions:

As just checking to see what else I can disable... So the ones I list are just those that I am not too sure if I need or not.

Extensible Authentication Protocol Service

Health Key and Certificate Management Service

IPSEC Services

Performance Logs and Alerts

---

EDIT:

@Sonar: Your 'disabled' pic doesn't work.

its back working now, dunno why it wasn't (you can find the description on blackvipers)

IPSEC Services

as you can see most of them just log events (my system is running fine with them disabled)

SacredCultivator

Yeah I checked with BlackViper's site, just wasn't too sure, there are a few others that I didn't want to touch due to cause i use Cable / Wireless connection / camera / scanner.

But the ones i listed I didn't think applied.

Shall go ahead and disable those.

LeetPirate
Questions:

As just checking to see what else I can disable... So the ones I list are just those that I am not too sure if I need or not.

IPSEC Services

---

EDIT:

@Sonar: Your 'disabled' pic doesn't work.

I am unfamiliar with the first 2 services you listed but they are manual by default and do not start at boot so you have nothing to gain by disabling them.

IPSEC is used for authentication on a domain for data transfer and encryption. You probably don't use that unless you have some kind of secure vpn connection to your work or something. safe to set to manual.

Performance Logs and Alerts you don't need unless you use the windows performance monitor feature to log stats for your machine, safe to disable but this is already set to manual by default so why bother to disable it? You don't gain anything from disabling a manual service unless you want to force a service that is started by another process to not start. Performance Logs however is not one of those that gets started at boot by another process, it only loads if you set up a perfmon.msc snap-in to log data.

SacredCultivator

Yeah anythign to do with logging I don't care lol, as I don't look at them or anything.

LeetPirate
Yeah anythign to do with logging I don't care lol, as I don't look at them or anything.
Yea you could disable all those 4 you listed. where the hell do you get those hot asian pics from? :think:

Bizarre™

@LeetPirate:

Shhh... he's got a harem ;)

I asked him to give me one of them :P

Here's an interesting link... I used to recommend both blackviper and smallvoid in my guide, except after I saw this...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...45&arctab=y

... then I removed blackviper. Meh.

edit: Not to say anything is wrong with blackviper's guides... they're okay, I'm just saying.

There's always haters. Ill ignore them proceed more on breaking my pc :lmao: its the only way to learn.

what to do if i can go make a coffee, take a toilet trip come back and still have to wait before i can start doing things on the pc at bootup lol

LeetPirate
what to do if i can go make a coffee, take a toilet trip come back and still have to wait before i can start doing things on the pc at bootup lol
that's my story with Vista on me notebook. The specs are good enough but it takes minutes to boot up even with a load of services disabled. core 2 duo with 3GB ram should not boot so slow because it is just as fast as my athlon x2 5000+ black. I know this because I do alot of video encoding and an HD file that takes 1 hour on one machine takes the same time on the other machine. The laptop's core 2 duo is even optimised to beat my desktop amd with certain types of encoding so I know the cpu is sufficient, it has to be that vista is a load of shit, lol. I can't wait for windows 7 final release. XP SP3 however can be saved, usually the more drivers loaded slows down the booting process so investigate what you have installed and try uninstalling things you don't use anymore. do a disk clean up, defrag boot drive, I recommend using Disktrix defrag express. do a registry cleanup and then rebuild the hive files, this can be done in jv16 power tools 2009 with the registry compact feature. these should help you out a bit unless your pc is genuinely slow.

best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

vcthqx.jpg

11 services running.

A true barebone PC could also disable

Windows Audio: it's used for audio.

Wireless Zero Configuration-service: It's used to connect the internet through a wireless card.

Task Scheduler: It's used for several things, but I got it still running for prefetching. Without it Windows would boot up way slower and programs would start up slower too than with prefetching enabled.

Protected Storage: It's used to store passwords and such. IE also uses it.

So that would bring me down to 7 services.

Bizarre™

@demonon:

That would indeed be the best setup for a computer used only for word processing :dance2:

Using BootVis really helped a lot for my computer...

i used to do this, but when i got a new rig with 4 gigs ram, i thought screw it, it boots up fast enough anyway and i change my os so often it was always pain in the butt to go thru the tweaking..

after all with 4 gigs even prefetching ain't a prob, whenever you need the ram it'll be freed... and nearly no apps use that much.. (yeah photoshop w/ 8000000000000000000000 x 40000000000000000000000000 pixels pic okok)

i used to do this, but when i got a new rig with 4 gigs ram, i thought screw it, it boots up fast enough anyway and i change my os so often it was always pain in the butt to go thru the tweaking..

after all with 4 gigs even prefetching ain't a prob, whenever you need the ram it'll be freed... and nearly no apps use that much.. (yeah photoshop w/ 8000000000000000000000 x 40000000000000000000000000 pixels pic okok)

Easy answer -> Reg File -> single click

sure, but i used to move from Server 2003 to XP x64 to Vista SP2 to Server 2008 to Windows 7 RC, etc.., so you know, the same reg woulda never worked on diff OSes..

especially when i used some tweaked and my own vLited versions of some of those.. ;) but yeah, good idea :rolleyes:

sure, but i used to move from Server 2003 to XP x64 to Vista SP2 to Server 2008 to Windows 7 RC, etc.., so you know, the same reg woulda never worked on diff OSes..

especially when i used some tweaked and my own vLited versions of some of those.. :cheers: but yeah, good idea :)

I knew you was gonna say something liek that lol

What about 3 reg files not one ;p "1 for xp / 1 for vista / 1 for what ever else" ?

I usually just make a pre enhanced vlite / nlite iso and burn it on a rewritable cd/dvd. I don't bother with XP anymore because this dude TJ has made his popular XP SP3 performance edition which is about 279MB iso, much better job than I could ever do. For Vista and Win7 though you could invest in a couple RW DVDs.

1 for what ever else" ?

hehe :lmao:

I usually just make a pre enhanced vlite / nlite iso and burn it on a rewritable cd/dvd. I don't bother with XP anymore because this dude TJ has made his popular XP SP3 performance edition which is about 279MB iso, much better job than I could ever do. For Vista and Win7 though you could invest in a couple RW DVDs.

then you obviously haven't tried eXPerience's releases, his MicroXP is 99 megs & completely unattended & tweaked to extreme.. beat that.. :P

Micro2003 is even better, based on Server 2003, so you'll get all the kernel 5.2 goodness and it still feels like XP.. but is much stabler..

also if you do the winlogon.exe hack, apps won't refuse to install due to it being server OS as it'll be seen by them as XP..

winver tells you Windows XP 2003 Edition (or version? don't remember, well that instead of 2002 in normal)

then you obviously haven't tried eXPerience's releases, his MicroXP is 99 megs & completely unattended & tweaked to extreme.. beat that.. :)

Micro2003 is even better, based on Server 2003, so you'll get all the kernel 5.2 goodness and it still feels like XP.. but is much stabler..

also if you do the winlogon.exe hack, apps won't refuse to install due to it being server OS as it'll be seen by them as XP..

winver tells you Windows XP 2003 Edition (or version? don't remember, well that instead of 2002 in normal)

Micro edition you say....hmmm. Rest assured I am going to be looking to get this iso. 99MB is truly something exquisite. The only thing I don't like is the unattended part because I like to go through the options myself however I can easily bypass that by rebuilding the ISO without the unattended script file.

I think I found it. I found 2 actually, one from the eXPerience releaser and one that could be from eXPerience but the language might be wrong, I don't know. It is seriously bare bones and would be beneficial to netbooks especially. I won't use it personally because I need remote desktop and sometimes use task scheduler but it is very extreme. It is amazing, the things they could do to XP now, I wonder if there is a similar release for Vista as yet?

Answered my own question: Vista SP2 Lite edition. :) Good Stuff.

Archived