Microsoft cut the price of Windows 8.1 by nearly three-fourths

anuseems

Microsoft tries to jumpstart cheap Windows devices with license price cut to device makers who produce lower-cost laptops and tablets

From Computerworld:

Citing sources who asked not to be named, Bloomberg said that licenses for Windows 8.1, normally $50, would instead cost OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) just $15. The discounted licenses would only be available for hardware that sold for less than $250.

The steep discount -- 70% less than the usual price, half that of the lowest price when Microsoft co-marketing money was included in the equation -- was a reaction to cheap rivals to Windows hardware, particularly Chromebooks powered by Google's free-to-OEMs browser-based Chrome OS, Bloomberg said.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246515/Microsoft_tries_to_jumpstart_cheap_Windows_devices_with_license_price_cut

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nedal0

• anuseems

• abbdoc

• banned

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Reason I'm assuming for the Price cut:

1. It's Shite (Windows 8.1 I mean-as they have already announced Windows 9 and were back into the old Fista, MS debacle of Microsofts R&D department being their clients)

2. Most peeps are using smartphones, tablets and not using PC's, be it laptops or desktops as much!

Its just a slant on Darwin's survival of the species

lol

Edited by abbdoc

Two Reason I'm assuming for the Price cut:

1. It's Shite

Hahahaha! That's pretty much the way I feel about every Windows version after XP. (not that Windows XP wasn't shite too, its just a little lesser to clean off my shoes..)

Edited by banned

When I bought this laptop with win 7, it came with upgrade option to 8 for $14.99. Nope - I'd rather go back to Win95 OSR2. Sorry M$ . . . no deal