Bassline killed my sound

Myrak

The sound I get from song playback on my comp has gone weird. Whenever a song has bass in it (not alot, it happens if it's just noticeable too), instead of getting the sharp sound I usually get, I get a rough, blunt noise.

I don't even know if it is bass (I'm not a sound expert), but when I turn the dB (decibels - "loudness", I know that much) down on Winamp it sounds fine.

It started last night, when I played "Bassline" by Mantronix. Then I played another song, noticed it sounded off, compared it to the one on my iPod and the one on my iPod sounded alot better.

The only reason I think it would have something to do with that song, is that last time I played the GTA:SA theme tune on my stereo too loud it shook the speaker off the shelf. So I'm assuming the same thing happened here, except my computer couldn't handle it and screwed up.

If anyone knows any way to fix it, or could tell me what the hell happened then I'd be very appreciative. :D

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What soundcard have you got?

What drivers are you using for soundcard?

Is it just this song? Or does it happen to more than one?

Is the song in .mp3 format or is it on a CD? Do CD's play fine?

Yeah I thought I blew something x_x; :D

I was even stupid enough to turn my speakers up near max while playing the Bassline song because I couldn't hear it :D

The song sounds just fine if I turn the volume down in the program, so I guess that'll be my fix this time. It'll do me till I get a new computer- and that doesn't matter too much, as this laptop is over 2 years old and runs relatively slow compared to what's available now. I've had to tweak all the settings alot just to get it to run at a bearable pace.

But to answer Sam's questions: The soundcard & drivers I have no idea (I'm not very well versed in hardware, hoping to change that though). The song is .m4a, but it happens with other .mp3s and .m4as as well.

Archived