1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

anuseems

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score -- 6.5 correct -- was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/6e49b254-fc12-4176-8ab6-c6146611c372

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• Polonium

• ffi

• locoJoe

Top Posters In This Topic

"74 percent of respondents". It doesn't say what age group was asked. Sounds like they're trying to make americans look stupid. Of course the teachers are too busy loading the student's skull full of mush with their political and social agenda to teach the basics.

"74 percent of respondents". It doesn't say what age group was asked. Sounds like they're trying to make americans look stupid. Of course the teachers are too busy loading the student's skull full of mush with their political and social agenda to teach the basics.

They did the same poll in the EUSSR and the results were even worse :lol:

Just goes to confirm it. "People", when taken as a group, are generally stupid. I don't know which would be worse - that they interviewed just young people, or all age groups.

When you look at any survey, in any country, the way young people (can't) express themselves, it's just sad. It is, and has always been up to the individual to ignore the crud of institutional education, and self-educate in accordance to what he knows is good at, and knows he loves and will need.

Either that, or home-schooling.

seems many Americans are really too arrogant and uneducated...sorry but it seems to be the truth

33% of europeans didn't know either (opposed to only 25% of americans) acoording tothe same survey, so who are dumber europeans or americans?

seems many Americans are really too arrogant and uneducated...sorry but it seems to be the truth

33% of europeans didn't know either (opposed to only 25% of americans) acoording tothe same survey, so who are dumber europeans or americans?

I wouldn't phrase it as "only".

Well, it still is one in four. That's no lie. And the article didn't link to any other region, so it had no attitude towards the state of other regions.

While I'm certain that things are bad, they are better in some places than others. As Europe has a more diverse educational scheme, some countries probably did better than others. Hence Korea's best-in-category result - but she's the smallest in the bunch. Still, as I've said previously, when taken as a whole, people are stupid.

1 in 4 Americans are dummer :) dumber than fuck, what else needs said?

EDIT: Just remember tho that if it wasnt for us Americans you all would be speaking German and doing the "goose-step".

Edited by locoJoe

Lies, damned lies and statistics is a reference that the statistics are unreliable.

The data collected is true.

However, the way data is collected is unreliable, not enough people questioned for a start.

1 in 4 Americans are dummer :) dumber than fuck, what else needs said?

EDIT: Just remember tho that if it wasnt for us Americans you all would be speaking German and doing the "goose-step".

well joe sort of true and not true at the same time.... us canucks helped too and it was not a "world" war because it was only just america all alone...also the war began in 1939...you showed up late to the party in 1941...but thank god you did i say as america military might and and more so your manufacturing might really tipped the balance ...The biggest thing was the help America gave to England before the american fighting forces were directly involved in the war and thanks for that too or the war would have been over before 1941 with the wrong side being victorious

i cant help myself but laugh everytime i read that kind of comment (which happen here in france quite often when someone dare to criticize USA politics).

make me think how thanksfull we should be to Japan for bombing Pearl Harbour and to adolf for being stupid and respecting his alliance with them and declaring war to America (while japan never bothered to declare war to Russia...they weren't carzy) because without those events, we have no proof the USA would have entered the war.... Roosewelt was for doing so but the congress was against it.

you also forget the russians, they would have done the job for sure, it would only have taken a few more years to archieve it and few more millions deads too