Microsoft sets Oct. 31 as stop date for Windows 7 consumer PC sales

anuseems

Microsoft has set Oct. 31 as the end of sales of new consumer-grade Windows 7 PCs, but for now has left open the do-not-sell-after-this-date for business machines

From Computerworld:

On the site where it posts such policies, Microsoft now notes that Oct. 31, 2014, is the end-of-sales date for new PCs equipped with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or Ultimate. All three are consumer-oriented versions of Windows 7; Home Premium has been the overwhelming choice of OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) for consumer systems.

Microsoft's practice, first defined in 2010, is to stop selling an older operating system in retail one year after the launch of its successor, and halt delivery of the previous Windows edition to OEMs two years after a new version launches. The company shipped Windows 8, Windows 7's replacement, in October 2012.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246387/Microsoft_sets_Oct._31_as_stop_date_for_Windows_7_consumer_PC_sales

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anuseems

• insanedown58

• MidnightDistortions

• all4one

I don't know if this is a smart move or not. I mean its a pretty dumb move right now but it could be a huge obstacle cleared out for Microsoft once 2020 starts to come around. Then again... I don't know.

MidnightDistortions

That won't really change much immediately anyway if vendors still have a supply, unless they are not allowed to sell W7 machines after this date.

Either way if people want W7 they should get it now.