Archaeologists discover 800,000-year-old footprints on an English beach

Reefa

footprints_large_verge_medium_landscape.

A team of archaeologists has discovered a crucial clue to human ancestry in a set of 800,000-year-old footprints left in a beachside sediment bed in England. The prints offer an important look into early human habitation in northern Europe, with height estimates suggesting the prints were left by a shorter, smaller-brained human ancestor known as Homo Antecessor. The footprints are the oldest ever discovered outside of Africa, where similar prints in Lake Tanzania have been dated back as far as 3.7 million years.

The site was discovered in Haisborough, Norfolk, an eastern shore where the receding coastline has unearthed many previously buried relics. In this case, a sudden storm washed away enough of the beach to reveal a rocky surface below, where the footprints were discovered and photographed. See more about the find in the video below, produced by the British Museum.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• Alanon

• Reefa

• locoJoe

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been staring at the pic for several minutes and for the life of me I can't see the footprints. xD

I have been staring at the pic for several minutes and for the life of me I can't see the footprints. xD

Bla bla bla...scientists are so fuc*ed up sometimes...no way can they prove this BS. I dont see chit either except some holes in the mud :wtf:

i was at drumheller alberta on a walk and the guide was telling us how many fossils are in the area... one person asked where as he has walked the area for 24 years looking and has yet to find one...at that point the guide walked over to this man bent down and picked up several that were literally either right in front of the person and one even under his foot...you gotta know what to look for...there are experts then are just the average person that does not know what to look for... even when it is right in front of their eyes

What I find interesting is that these prints were found in May of 2013 but the find is just now making the news. Did it take that long to identify these as 800K years old?

What I find interesting is that these prints were found in May of 2013 but the find is just now making the news. Did it take that long to identify these as 800K years old?

it took the media that long to decide to report on it....

Bla bla bla...scientists are so fuc*ed up sometimes...no way can they prove this BS. I dont see chit either except some holes in the mud :wtf:

it's very easy to date rocks but yet some people rather believe some idiot prolly on drugs who is seeing a bush in fire speaking to him and saying this is god talking to him hahaha now thats bullshit!

Edited by flitox