• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stylemessiah

• eurobyn

• jackieo

• knowledge-Spammer

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'm going to give this a try. If its accurate I will use on my friends/family systems as a backup protection in case they dont notice the crapware options.

im with jackieo on this one, why would you give over decision making to another program when all you have to do is fricking read things during program installations...honestly, whats wrong with the human race....im starting to wonder how some people even manage to get dressed with the level of spoon feeding going on in the world

stopbeingsobloodylazy

</rant>

im with jackieo on this one, why would you give over decision making to another program when all you have to do is fricking read things during program installations...honestly, whats wrong with the human race....im starting to wonder how some people even manage to get dressed with the level of spoon feeding going on in the world

stopbeingsobloodylazy

</rant>

I maintain a family members laptop - she has macular degeneration which means her eyesight is failing. She can't see the check boxes so I have to spend time every month cleaning out the crap.

I'm installing this for her.

stopbeingsobloodylazy

</rant>

I maintain a family members laptop - she has macular degeneration which means her eyesight is failing. She can't see the check boxes so I have to spend time every month cleaning out the crap.

I'm installing this for her.

I do appreciate that as above there are some situations where this could be useful, so you get a pass on my next comments, but is it something that you should advise people to use generally, no

And i'll tell you why, well it will go back to my parting comment: stopbeingsobloodylazy

I see a lot of PC's/Tablets (which i find are making people even more lazy and i personally wouldnt have one of because theyre 1/4 of a productive PC) and smartphones in an average week. I also volunteer in an IT capacity in nursing homes, both supporting the infrastructure and the residents with their private IT needs.....

Do i think to myself "I know, ill just get them all to install X bit of software to bypass adware installers because its easier for me" ?

No, i'd rather sit down and explain to them and show them how to recognise what is and what isnt adware, both in program installers and genrally on download sites etc. Id rather have that 15 minute conversation 20 times a week then install a piece of software and leave them to it.

Why? because giving them information empowers them to have a part in their own online safety and makes them proactive instead of waiting to be spoonfed by yours truly once a week. It makes them more vigilant in general online, and this is a good thing.

Every week i see people buying more bloody tablets, which i hope will die a death so we can all get back to doing something more than poking a fricking screen to play Candy Crush Saga. With especially Android devices i take the time to explain to people that they need to read and understand access permissions, because peoples default setting on seeing these is to just breeze past, and i think we can agree that doing so is a recipe for possible disaster. Still its better than bloody CrApple where theres a pervading sense that anything you install is 100% safe and you get no warnings. Its analogous to me to the above argument above about teaching people to read and look for malware and just installing a bit of software and putting your faith in that...Apple is Unchecky, Android is learning to read and be vigilant.

So again, society, stopbeingsobloodylazy

You learned to read before PC's were a common thing, why stop now?

Putting your faith in any bit of software over actual individual practical knowledge is a fools paradise.