Hardware failure ?

Hitman6267

My pc just made 2 beeps (kinda long like 1.5 second each one) and the monitor said no signal. After restarting I accidentally hit the front of my pc with my knee (not hard though) and the my pc made 3 beeps and the monitor said no signal. Is some kind of hardware failure ? I'm pretty sure I havent updated any drivers. The only thing I can think of is that like 2 weeks ago I cleaned the dust from my pc and tried to remove the cpu's fan by turning the 4 pins. I turned them but didn't know how to remove the fan so I turned them back to their original place. Any ideas ?

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is beep signal codes for failure diagnostics(slightly varied from make to make)... and again- dont remember too well personally, but I think that would be graphics card needing to be reinserted and bios rest for that matter..

I'd try resetting your BIOS :rolleyes: (Using the 'pins', I'll explain if you don't know how, but I guess you do).

My pc just made 2 beeps (kinda long like 1.5 second each one) and the monitor said no signal. After restarting I accidentally hit the front of my pc with my knee (not hard though) and the my pc made 3 beeps and the monitor said no signal. Is some kind of hardware failure ? I'm pretty sure I havent updated any drivers. The only thing I can think of is that like 2 weeks ago I cleaned the dust from my pc and tried to remove the cpu's fan by turning the 4 pins. I turned them but didn't know how to remove the fan so I turned them back to their original place. Any ideas ?

did the pc work after you clean it 2 weeks ago? if so then i wouldnt think that is causing your problem. turn power off pc and monitor. disconnected both power cordds. check the video connection between both parts ( mon and pc). un screww them and make sure the pins okay and rescrew them.

during startup in bios (usually F2) it should show the items it sees. also do F8 and safe mode and check stuff out there.

was the fan conected to the heatsink? made loosen the heat sink?

My pc worked fine after the clean up.

I think its the video card. Because a few days ago I had to fix a computer. I turned on both pcs and I kept switching the monitor cable between the both of them.

I don't know how to reset the bios. I just turned the 4 fan pins to better clean the fan. When I didn't figure out how to do that and I just turned them back.

Try this:

Turn off your PC, open your case(make sure your hands and all are clean and not sweaty/wet), have a look at your motherboard and search for three pins with a cap on top of two of them. (There's only one such thing on your motherboard, at least that's what I learned from my experience).

It should look like this(the 'Jumper'):

Cmos_Jumper.jpg

Now you should take of the cap and put it on the other two pins(so if it's on Middle and Right, put it on Middle and Left and the other way around), wait for 10 seconds and then put the cap back to its original position. Try booting again.

My pc worked fine after the clean up.

I think its the video card. Because a few days ago I had to fix a computer. I turned on both pcs and I kept switching the monitor cable between the both of them.

I don't know how to reset the bios. I just turned the 4 fan pins to better clean the fan. When I didn't figure out how to do that and I just turned them back.

im pretty sure you should not play with the video cord when the power is on.

if the video chiop on the mother board then just get a pci, agp or pciE video coard base on your type of empty bay slots you have left.

if it was a 3rd party video card then try using your original mother board video connection

@shought,

thats how to reset the bios ?

Is that what I should if the problem is from what i dd with my video card ?

• Administrator

Before you try resetting anything. Lets find out the problem that caused the error.

What is the make of your motherboard (and the model number?). Exactly what did the beeps sound like?

It won't harm resetting your CMOS(the part of the BIOS where the settings are), I'm not sure if it will do any good either, but I guess it's worth the try.

@shought,

thats how to reset the bios ?

Is that what I should if the problem is from what i dd with my video card ?

by removing and placing jumper conector on the other pins for about a minute

PS if you do have onboard graphic card try removing graphic card, connect to one onboard, reset BIOS and PC start its normal way... then it should prompt for time error, adjust that

once fully booted and restarted once again, try putting graphics card back in again, go to bios, and selct option for agp/pci graphics adapter settings...

keep us posted!

Hitman6267

Sorry guys for some reason I didn't receive any email notification until demonon replied.

The motherboard is an Intel Sorento D945GNT. The first time I beleive they were 2 long beeps.

I attempted to reset the bios (not sure if I managed, it said somewhere to press on the battery and that will reset it so I tried that.) and I removed the video card and then re-inserted it. No beeps since then.

Hitman6267

I'm not sure what is a psu fan. But I had no problem with fans not starting up.

I'm guessing something went wrong from the continuous connecting/disconnecting of the video cable while the pc went wrong and removing and re-inserting the video card fixed it.

arghh... I thought it died...

good to know all is well!

PS PSU (power supply unit)

Bizarre™

@Hitman6267:

I guess you were just not inserting / placing some components correctly.

Sometimes, when a component is not inserted / placed properly, the board might not detect it or worse damage it.

All the same, problem solved :hi:

Hitman6267

I didn't remove any component, I just plugged/unplugged the video cable alternatively from one pc to the other.

Bizarre™

Maybe place / insert did not ring a bell.

I should've used the words plugged / un-plugged :P

Lets not forget the how to's by different users are interpreted differently from user to user, and yes I personally know not too's, but just cant be bothered in rebooting PC just to change monitor or else...

However in this instance I believe it is not the cable plug in /out that caused it, but simple movement/contact/lack of it on graphics card to mobo that caused it...

Bizarre™

'sigh' it seems everyone doesn't understand what I'm talking about T_T

To make it simpler, let's say you insert a sound card on a PCI slot (not checking if it's seated properly).

That's when all hell breaks loose... since it might damage your sound card, your board, or both...

The same goes for other peripherals.

'sigh' it seems everyone doesn't understand what I'm talking about T_T

To make it simpler, let's say you insert a sound card on a PCI slot (not checking if it's seated properly).

That's when all hell breaks loose... since it might damage your sound card, your board, or both...

The same goes for other peripherals.

You are right! its a matter of luck! sometimes it goes caboom, sometimes it doesn't...

• 2 weeks later...
Hitman6267

I think I permanently solved the program. I took out the graphics card and notice that there was dust on the slot (probably from my cleaning ?) so I cleaned the dust and put back the graphics card and so far no more beeps. I once got a blue screen (before cleaning the slot) I'm guessing windows keeps a log somewhere of blue screens and what they mean, any one can show me where ?

Archived