World's First Germ-killing Mobile Screen

Turk

This story was published: 35 minutes ago January 07, 2014 8:46PM

2ceecj.jpg

Eehhh. Touchscreen mobiles are a prime target for being covered in thousands of germs. A new bacteria-killing glass is hoping to clean up this act. Source: Corning Source: Supplied

If you knew how many germs were caking your mobile you'd probably shudder and bolt for the nearest handy wipe. But a new germ-killing mobile glass has been developed to help keep bacterial beasties off your beloved gadgets.

Make no mistake, huffing on your mobile screen and rubbing it on your sleeve will not kill the thousands of diarrhoea-inducing germs hiding on your gadgets. What you need is silver.

What happens when antibiotics stop working? Science has the answer: http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/science-has-found-the-answer-to-what-happens-when-antibiotics-fail/story-fnjwl2dr-1226787418714

Corning, the makers of the super tough Gorilla Glass found on gadgets such as the Samsung Galaxy, has developed the world's first antibacterial display infused with ionic silver that kills bacteria on contact.

1zqugbm.jpg

On the right is what a standard mobile display would look like under a microscope, while on the left the new antimicrobial display kills bacteria on contact. Source: Corning Source: Supplied

The antimicrobial feature is said to kill up to 99.9 of germs and won't fade away unlike sprays and wipes, instead lasting the entire lifespan of the device.

'Corning's Antimicrobial Gorilla Glass inhibits the growth of algae, mould, mildew, fungi, and bacteria because of its built-in antimicrobial property, which is intrinsic to the glass and effective for the lifetime of a device,' said James R. Steiner, senior vice president and general manager, Corning Specialty Materials in a press statement.

Silver has been used for centuries to combat germs and disease spreading bacteria and is now found integrated into bandages and plasters as it can destroy bacteria at the site of wounds because the ion found in the metal is bioactive.

The antimicrobial glass is currently being tested with numerous manufacturers for various applications so we may be seeing a cleaner future for more than just mobiles.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/worlds-first-germkilling-mobile-screen/story-fn6vihic-1226796853733

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ambrocious

• kn_andre

• Yorel

• Turk

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Science and Technology Got " Married " a Long time ago and we are all Seeing some of the Products / Inventions of their Union. This will come in Handy for Germophobes ... Kudos @Turk for Posting ... Cheers

Edited by kn_andre

So they are using silver I see, very excelent choice to kill bacteria and viruses. For example, I use Super Natural Silver when I get sick. Other forms of Colloidal Silver work out too but some are less safe to use for internal purposes. TIP: Higher voltage used to make silver products yield a better antibacterial/antiviral bounty. Most normal silver solutions are made with 100 Volts of electricity but Super Natural Silver is made with 10,000 volts of electricity.

I am glad they are using a more natural method here, good for Samsung!

Edited by Ambrocious

I didn't even know manufactures were worry about germs in our mobile phones.... In fact, I didn't come to think I had them of my cell...

I didn't even know manufactures were worry about germs in our mobile phones.... In fact, I didn't come to think I had them of my cell...

On every surface that you can see with your eyes, billions of germs and bacteria are alive. Since our phones are used mostly by our hands, they come into contact with EVERYTHING that our hands have contacted as well. Your phone can potentially be as dirty as your toilet seat.