Windows AntiSpyware becomes 'Defender'

apcmiller

The tool, designed to protect PCs against hidden software, has been renamed "Windows Defender" and is getting a new look as well as capabilities to detect rootkits, keystroke loggers and other threats. The news of the revamp came Friday in a posting to a new Microsoft corporate blog dealing with malicious software.

The updated application will be part of Vista, the successor to the Windows XP operating system that is expected to launch by the end of next year.

Microsoft will also release Windows Defender for XP users. It will be released as an update to the current edition of Windows AntiSpyware, which has been available in a beta version since January.

The changes were expected. In October, Microsoft said that the tool would undergo significant changes before Windows Vista ships. The expanded detection and removal capabilities were also in the cards.

The program is designed to protect PCs against spyware, which is software that is installed on a system to watch the user's activity without his or her knowledge. The addition of rootkit protection means Windows Defender can detect and remove rootkits, hacker tools designed to go undetected by security software. Rootkits are used by hackers to lock down control of a computer after an initial attack.

Microsoft has changed how it delivers signature updates for the anti-spyware application. The signatures, used to pinpoint which software is malicious, are now distributed through Windows Update, instead through of a separate tool particular to the program.

Microsoft said Windows Defender isn't a finished product. Vista testers are likely to be the first to get their hands on the updated tool, a company spokesperson said Monday. "We expect Windows Defender to appear in the next Windows Vista Community Technology Preview release," expected by year's end, the representative said.

It is unclear when Windows Defender will be available to Windows XP users. Microsoft had planned to deliver a Beta 2 version of Windows AntiSpyware by the end of the year. That release is expected to be the debut of Windows Defender for Windows XP, but the delivery date might change, the Microsoft spokesperson said.

"The timing for Beta 2 has not been determined. The internal goal for us is Dec. 31, but that is flexible," the representative said.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5937989.html

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waste of time, waste of money, waste of space.

This application if you dare call it that missed over 20 Spyware applications that I had reportidly on my system thanks to the beautiful Ad-Aware thereafter.

I'm not saying to use it, but some people do, and they might like to know its been updated. :D

• Administrator
Waste of time, waste of money, waste of space.

This application if you dare call it that missed over 20 Spyware applications that I had reportidly on my system thanks to the beautiful Ad-Aware thereafter.

No app detects 100% of stuff. Overall, MS AS detects more than ad-aware.

According to my Survey I did for a project of mine, here are stats:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Adware: 3/10

Spyware: 4.5/10

Malicious Scripts: 7/10

Keylogger: 0.5/10

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

Adware: 8/10

Spyware: 5.5/10

Malicious Scripts: 4.5/10

Keylogger: 8.5/10

Over-all my Survey suggests Ad-Aware is THE better application for the aspect of a fair few more percentages than MAS.

The tool, designed to protect PCs against hidden software, has been renamed "Windows Defender" and is getting a new look as well as capabilities to detect rootkits, keystroke loggers and other threats. The news of the revamp came Friday in a posting to a new Microsoft corporate blog dealing with malicious software.

Those stats will probably change due to this.

Not to mention everyone who buys vista will have this app. so its good info to know. Lay off, man!

No no, I wasn't trying to stop anyone from knowing, I was giving information. It is good information to know I'am quite looking forward to this release also.

K, it just seemed like you were trying to say that no one should use this prog. All I'm saying is we should at least wait till it comes out to past judgement.

(Off Topic)

Greg, where have you been for the last 6 months?? You joined way back when and then disappeared.

• Administrator
According to my Survey I did for a project of mine, here are stats:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Adware: 3/10

Spyware: 4.5/10

Malicious Scripts: 7/10

Keylogger: 0.5/10

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

Adware: 8/10

Spyware: 5.5/10

Malicious Scripts: 4.5/10

Keylogger: 8.5/10

Over-all my Survey suggests Ad-Aware is THE better application for the aspect of a fair few more percentages than MAS.

Thats much too small of a sample. You need ATLEAST a thousand samples to get ANYWHERE near overall detection.

(Off Topic)

Greg, where have you been for the last 6 months?? You joined way back when and then disappeared.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ventured far and wide, across the globe. No really, I've had major coursework from college and in aid of getting A's and B's while programming as a living, it's quite hard.

Yeh, I joined ages back but the thought of coming back to one of the best forums initially got me started again :D

How many samples did you tested?...10?.....100?.....1000? You don't get even close i guess

I ran both applications, under different conditions. Some with extended graphic programs, some with messengers, some with games minimized like NFSU2, The Sims 2 and more.

I extracted the Open Source TAC List, plus the additional update definition file from both MAS and ADA. Both used descriptive XML documents and also a cure for every infection.

Archived