How to unlock the hidden Aero Lite theme in Windows 8.1

rach

Windows 8.1 comes with a secret hidden visual style called Aero Lite. The Aero Lite theme is the default in Windows Server 2012. You might wonder why I called it 'hidden'? That's because you cannot apply it easily on Windows 8 since Microsoft does not ship a corresponding *.theme file with Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. However, this can be fixed easily. In this tutorial, I will show you an easy way to unlock this hidden Aero Lite theme and share with you the benefits which you can get with that theme.

All you need to unlock the theme is to place the special *.theme file into the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder. Follow the simple tutorial below.

1. Download the following file:
    Aero Lite theme
  2. Double click the file you downloaded above and extract the aerolite.theme file. Put it anywhere you want.
  3. Right click on the aerolite.theme file, select Properties from the context menu. In the file properties, click the Unblock button.
    aerolite.theme-Properties.png
  4. Now copy the aerolite.theme file to your C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder. If you get the UAC prompt, click on Continue to approve copying the file.
  5. Right click the Desktop and choose the Personalization item from its context menu. The Personalization window will appear on the screen. Click the Windows Aero Lite theme from the "Installed themes" section. That's it!

Personalization-600x504.png
Although the Aero Lite theme looks a bit simplified and flatter than the default Windows theme, there is one good thing about this 'lite' theme: it also disables transparency of the taskbar.
If you do not like the taskbar transparency in Windows 8.1, this trick might be useful for you.
See the following video:

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ns870152

• rach

• Blackchildcx

• Yorel

Top Posters In This Topic

thanx..to disable theme I just have to purge the file from C:windows/...themes?

All you need to unlock the theme is to place the special *.theme file into the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder.

If you do not like the taskbar transparency in Windows 8.1, this trick might be useful for you.

I use Total Commander, just copy to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes normally

I use Classic Shell to disable the taskbar transparency

Airstream_Bill

Thanks for the information.

• 1 month later...

thank you for sharing..

however.. it doesn't look polished..

im also a fan of the classic theme..

but this has dark outlines ...

it might be due to my GPU...

i'll keep it for one of my VMs..

less GPU intensive :)

Thanks for the TIP :win:

thanks for this simply tips. I dont like win8 / 8.1 just because aero is missing. now its finally time to switch from win7 to win8.1 ;)