• Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Airstream_Bill

• 212eta

• Roger D

• derty2

Yamicsoft Windows 8 Manager for me..Its just packed with usefull features and tweaks :showoff:

Edited by F3dupsk1Nup

knowledge-Spammer

do not use

1. Yamicsoft Windows Manager
  2. Advanced SystemCare
  3. TuneUp Utilities
  4. Advanced System Optimizer
  5. System Mechanic
  6. Win Utilites
  7. Glary Utilities
  8. Auslogics BoostSpeed
  9. Ace Utilities
  10. Ashampoo Win Optimizer
  11. Wise Care 365
  12. Other (Please Specify)

someone there

I was using the advanced system optimizer from systweak but now I am using pc tools performance toolkit it is fast and doing it's job efficiently

Edited by someone there

CCleaner + CCEnhancer (every day)

Privazer (Weekly)

Wise Care 360 (some times)

Airstream_Bill

When something comes out that is NEW and I am bored I use it, Then I start Acronis True Image and put my computer back the way it was. No management Suites ever run on it. That includes CCleaner.

Edited by Airstream_Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you have spent A LOT of time getting to know exactly how your system works under the hood, how can you possibly know which maintenance tool really is the best or is a crock of bloated shit?

If you choose to live in a world of never-ending consumption of shiny new things and putting faith in black-box solutions....then the chances of gaining deep knowledge of your system are severely restricted.

My own maintenance routine (on Windows XP) is a constant real-time vigilance of applications and system behaviour.

Some things I regularly do:

-- Unknown Software --

I always run first inside Sandboxie and check it out; if it leaves too many droppings in the Windows Registry then I make a portable version of it; I refuse to use software which wants to take a 'big shit' in my system. Norton products are a classic example ....... If the software refuses to run inside Sandboxie, I copy it to a USB stick, then copy to my spare laptop computer containing various VMware virtual machines (XP, Vista, 7) and I check it out there.

-- Utilities --

Every now and then run "MyDefrag" on all spinning hard disk drives. My system drive is an SSD and I do not bother defragging it.

Every now and then run "checkdisk" (start -- run -- cmd -- chkdsk :: if bad sectors found, run again with the "F" parameter).

Every now and then run "CCleaner" and clean out junk files and reg entries (I also use "winapp2.ini" for custom cleaning).

-- Constant Vigilance --

I use "Process Hacker" as replacement for Windows Task Manager and I open it up and look ALL THE TIME! ....... if you do this for long enough, you eventually get a good feel of what's really going on in your system. If an application or driver or service can not justify its existence on my system then I disable/remove it.

--

I have spent my computing life playing with Windows 2000/XP systems; they are HIGHLY tweakable and controllable

The NT6 family (Vista, Win7, Win8) does not empower me in the same way. Yes I can see and feel the advancements in the core system functions, but what about my display preferences?????

Is anybody here familiar with the audio player "foobar2000"?

If you install this player and run it for the first time, it looks like a text editor with tabs and controls!....If you are used to "designed" GUI interfaces like "Winamp" and "iTunes" you will be in shock at the minimalist out-of-the-box view of foobar.

But.....If you now go to the website "www.deviantart.com/customization/skins/media/foobar2000/" you will see that foobar2000 is actually a HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE player; you can make it look like Winamp or iTunes or even Notepad if you want!!!

So......what I am trying to say is this:

Why the fuck does Microsoft have such a burning need to be the director of my desktop display preferences ?

For example, why doesn't Microsoft allow me to fully skin 'Windows 8' to look and act exactly like 'Windows XP' or 'Windows 2000' to the very last detail...that includes making EXPLORER.EXE look exactly like the one I have in my WinXP box ?

Why does Microsoft gives so much of a fuck about this ?

If Microsoft allowed Windows to be customized like foobar2000 then all the negative arguments all over the internet about the Windows GUI would stop; the old-skool and the new-skool users could just customize it to suit themselves.

Edited by derty2

Why the fuck does Microsoft have such a burning need to be the director of my desktop display preferences ?

For example, why doesn't Microsoft allow me to fully skin 'Windows 8' to look and act exactly like 'Windows XP' or 'Windows 2000' to the very last detail...that includes making EXPLORER.EXE look exactly like the one I have in my WinXP box ?

My thought exactly ...

Thing started while trying to adjust "tooltip" color and font, that in win7 really sucks, its unreadable..

To me this feature is very convenient and in xp you have the ability to adjust it as you like...