WinRAR 5.01

jalaffa

When I upgraded WinRAR from 4.20 to 5.00, I had issues with the rar file icon showing on the desktop when rarring smaller sized files only. If I refreshed the desktop, then the rar file would show. Because of this glitch, I went back to WinRAR 4.20 and there I will stay until they fix this problem.

did you try clean installation ? uninstall 4.20 > clean registry with CC > install the latest one

anyway, @jalaffa thank for the update. best archiver prog

Yes, I did that. Full uninstall of the old version and a clean install of the new one and it makes zero difference with rarring small-sized files. I, really, don't see any reason to upgrade to version 5.x and cannot see much difference for what I need it to do so I'll stick with 4.20. To me, you cannot improve on perfection but they tried and failed, as far as I'm concerned. The lack of a small-sized rar icon is not showing up on the desktop of Windows XP, 7 (64 bit) and 8.1 (64 bit) so it's definitely not me.

• Replies 74
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Journey

• janedoe

• shamu726

• SnakeMasteR

To me, you cannot improve on perfection but they tried and failed, as far as I'm concerned. The lack of a small-sized rar icon is not showing up on the desktop of Windows XP, 7 (64 bit) and 8.1 (64 bit) so it's definitely not me.

No such problems here. BTW, try creating large archives using the RAR 5 format instead of the older RAR 4.x format, increase the dictionary size to the max allowed by your RAM (more the RAM the better obviously) along with Best compression and a few more tweaks and you'll often see a sizable difference in the final archive size. The RAR 5 format was created for a reason, and just because you are not using the newer features doesn't mean they "failed". I find your unduly harsh assessment quite puzzling.

To me, you cannot improve on perfection but they tried and failed, as far as I'm concerned. The lack of a small-sized rar icon is not showing up on the desktop of Windows XP, 7 (64 bit) and 8.1 (64 bit) so it's definitely not me.

No such problems here. BTW, try creating large archives using the RAR 5 format instead of the older RAR 4.x format, increase the dictionary size to the max allowed by your RAM (more the RAM the better obviously) along with Best compression and a few more tweaks and you'll often see a sizable difference in the final archive size. The RAR 5 format was created for a reason, and just because you are not using the newer features doesn't mean they "failed". I find your unduly harsh assessment quite puzzling.

Thanks for the info but I'm still going to stick with 4.20. BTW, I reported this issue with the developer and will await his/her response. Using or not using compression ratio's, RAR5, shouldn't be an issue with the archive not showing on my desktop after archiving small files sizes. WinZip changed their compression ratios before WinRAR decided to go that route and I never had this issue. Just sayin'.

RarLab.WinRAR.v5.01.Cracked.HAPPY.13TH.BIRTHDAY-EAT (x86)

Any idea on the huge file size difference between the patched and the original exe ?

Thanks for the info but I'm still going to stick with 4.20. BTW, I reported this issue with the developer and will await his/her response. Using or not using compression ratio's, RAR5, shouldn't be an issue with the archive not showing on my desktop after archiving small files sizes. WinZip changed their compression ratios before WinRAR decided to go that route and I never had this issue. Just sayin'.

No, obviously the new archive format has nothing to do with what you're experiencing. You might have uncovered a genuine bug that's only triggered by certain conditions (as I said, none of my systems are affected), or it may be due to some problem at your end (perhaps a conflict with another program). Let's see what the developer has to say about it. I was only taking exception to your comment that the developer had "failed" with this new version. Even if you did manage to unearth a minor bug, that doesn't change the fact that the new version/format provides genuine advantages and is thus not a failure, which is too harsh a term to use. Besides improved compression ratios the format is now much more robust and resistant to damage, finally supports better checksums than the inadequate CRC32, and much more besides. In any case if it's a bug then thanks for reporting it and I'm sure it will be fixed in the next version. I know the developer is extremely receptive and responsive from prior personal experience. All the best and do let us know what the official response was.

No, obviously the new archive format has nothing to do with what you're experiencing. You might have uncovered a genuine bug that's only triggered by certain conditions (as I said, none of my systems are affected), or it may be due to some problem at your end (perhaps a conflict with another program). Let's see what the developer has to say about it. I was only taking exception to your comment that the developer had "failed" with this new version. Even if you did manage to unearth a minor bug, that doesn't change the fact that the new version/format provides genuine advantages and is thus not a failure, which is too harsh a term to use. Besides improved compression ratios the format is now much more robust and resistant to damage, finally supports better checksums than the inadequate CRC32, and much more besides. In any case if it's a bug then thanks for reporting it and I'm sure it will be fixed in the next version. I know the developer is extremely receptive and responsive from prior personal experience. All the best and do let us know what the official response was.

If that was true, why wouldn't I have this problem with WinRAR version 4.20? This has only come about since they released 5.00. I'm not worried. I'll stick with what works. As I've said, I've reported it to the developer so we'll see what happens, if anything. BTW, I have no conflicts. For compression programs, I have WinRAR and 7-zip. That's it.

If that was true, why wouldn't I have this problem with WinRAR version 4.20? This has only come about since they released 5.00.

There could be any number of reasons. Say for example WinRAR 5.x uses a different Windows API for something as compared to 4.x, which may be causing problems for you due to a conflict with something else on your system. In this case I wouldn't exactly say it's a WinRAR bug since there's nothing wrong with using the new API, but still perhaps the developer can figure out a workaround to prevent the conflict. All this is just a hypothesis of course. If the developer can successfully reproduce your issue on his test system (first step towards confirming that it's a bug) or perhaps even access your system (sometimes it is impossible to replicate the end user's environment), he can then think of a possible solution.

Ok, I just received a response from the developer. Here's his response:

Hello,

We had a few lines of code to forcibly refresh the destination folder
when archiving is complete. It was written according Microsoft
documentation, but it never provided any effect on my computers,
so I removed it in 5.0. We did not receive any other user complains
about it.

Normally Desktop is updated automatically, without any additional
efforts. For example, when I copy 5 bytes long text file to Desktop
using "copy" command in command prompt, I see this file on Desktop
almost immediately. Looks like this autoupdate does not function
properly on your computer for some reason.

Anyway, since this removed code seems to be useful in some
configurations, we'll likely to return it back in WinRAR 5.10.
I just thought that it is useless everywhere when removing it.

Eugene
Edited by Journey

@Journey: Do u have "Delete files after archiving" checkbox selected? I only experience that "bug" when I have that checkbox enabled. Deselect it and see if it works.

7f6SdAO.png

Yes I do, as a matter of fact.. Do you think that might be my issue?

I'll have to uncheck that and try it. In the meantime, I'm going to copy and paste what you said and put

that notation in a notepad. Thanks Also, if that is, indeed, causing the problem, then I'll report it to the

developer.

Ok, I just received a response from the developer.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Also, if you are still using XP be sure to try this hotfix. Finally, if you are comfortable editing the registry then confirm that the DontRefresh value is set to 0 as mentioned here (otherwise change it and reboot before testing). Try these and if any of them work do let the developer know.

Edited by janedoe

Will do JaneDoe. You've been very helpful. Thank you very much for that. Oh, BTW, Eugene, the developer of WnRAR wrote back to me and he asked the exact same question you asked. You nailed it on the head JaneDoe. That reproduced the bug on your computer and Eugene's computer. It appears that there was a "bug" in version 5 after all.

This was his response earlier today:

Hello,

Do you have "Delete files after archiving" option enabled?

I can reproduce this problem now, but only if I enable
"Delete files after archiving". Looks like, deleting files on Desktop
somehow affects its ability to display new RAR icon.

We'll fix it in next version.

Thank you.

Eugene

@Journey: That is excellent news and thanks to you (and the developer of course) we all benefit due to an improved program with one less bug! :)

Oh, BTW, Eugene, the developer of WnRAR wrote back to me and he asked the exact same question you asked.

That's probably cos I too emailed him about it. He mailed me back too saying he'd fix it. :) Hopefully the next version or a beta will be released soon.

Edited by shamu726

That's probably cos I too emailed him about it. He mailed me back too saying he'd fix it. :) Hopefully the next version or a beta will be released soon.

Silent ninja-like help from shamu... I like it! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

More shared feedback.

Dear Eugene, I did the following:

WinRAR 5.00 - 5.01:
-1- Set a profile RAR 5 with dictionary 256, as the default setting.
-2- With this setting, right-click and choose 'New WinRAR archive'.
-3- Right-click on 'New WinRAR archive.rar', Properties. Archive tab will correctly show 'RAR archive Version Unknown'.
-4a- Drag and Drop files on 'New WinRAR archive.rar'. Archive will update correct to RAR 5 Archive.
-4b- Forget about previous step 4a. Now, instead of dropping files on the icon, OPEN 'New WinRAR archive.rar',
-5- Drag and drop files on WinRAR's main window, to make the Archive.
-6- In this case Archive will not be updated as RAR 5 -, it will be updated as WinRAR 2.9, which seems wrong, because it's not according to the set RAR 5 profile. Here, it does not seem possible to midway change to RAR 5 either, after drag and drop.

Ms Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Version 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601

From Eugene Roshal.
Hello,

Yes, 'New WinRAR archive' is created in WinRAR 2.9 archive format
and it affects some of archive updating operations. In future versions
we may change it to use RAR 5.0 format everywhere. It is just
a transitional period when both formats are co-exist with 2.9 having
precedence over 5.0.

Thank you.

Edited by Fallon

• 1 month later...