Help! My Vista is missing some files!

donizme

hi guys

basically I tried to shrink Vista using vLite to slipstream SP1 and then remove some components...but now I have this problem:

1. I install Windows Live Messenger 2009

2. After install it launches WLM and I get this error:

zixds2.jpg

I have found this missing file online and tried to put in system32 folder but it still said something weird about a file named StrTokExA see below:

25a6gpt.jpg

Strange thing is, I can open WLM and sign in fine, and the error message doesn't appear...only when I open WLM from cold...

many thanks for any help :)

• Replies 17
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try expanding the file located in your Vista installer to C:\WINDOWS\system32

Run > cmd > go to the directory of your installer > type expand MSOERT.DL_ C:\WINDOWS\system32

Try expanding the file located in your Vista installer to C:\WINDOWS\system32

Run > cmd > go to the directory of your installer > type expand MSOERT.DL_ C:\WINDOWS\system32

I put my original vista disc in D drive and typed this in cmd:

D:\expand MSOERT.DL_ C:\WINDOWS\system32

but it says:

D:\expand' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I guess it's not the i386 folder.

Well then, try searching for the file MSOERT2.DL_ in your installer :)

I guess it's not the i386 folder.

Well then, try searching for the file MSOERT2.DL_ in your installer :P

lol I tried some websites which give dll files but nothing works, check out the second image in post #1...

I think I am missing the file and some other component! :P

Edit: I tried to search for the file by looking in the 'Sources' folder in the install DVD but it didn't find the file! :)

'sigh'

M$ changed so many things in Vista.

My last resort was msconfig, but they changed that too.

I found a website which says that MSOERT.dll is needed for Microsoft Outlook and to save a webpage in Internet Explorer!

This is confirmed I just tried to save a webpage in IE8 and this error came up:

2gub6kh.jpg

I might just have to use vLite again and not remove any Outlook e-mail components... :wacko:

Hi donizme,

Most system files need to be in the right directory and need to be registered in order to work.

run regsvr32.exe or regsvr32.exe /u on the selected dll (MSOERT.dll). When you do this you should either see a message saying that the Register/Unregister succeeded, or you will get an error message - usually something like "The entry point could not be found..." - this will usually occur if the dll is incompatible with this version of windows.

Register DLL and Executable Files Manually:

1- Know the path and file names of the files you wish to register. 

2-Click "Run" from the Start menu. 

3-Type the following into the field provided: regsvr32 "[path]\NameOfFile.extension". [path] is the directory where the file is located. For example: C:\ The extension will be .dll

check and see if the registration was successful. Remember that without certain files attached to the registry, the program will not run successfully on Windows Vista.

The other solution is to repair your OS by running the vista installer in the DVD (and choose repair existing OS).

hi thanks for that, I think I'll go with the repair function from original disc.

Please guide me as to how to do this, once I put the disc in and click on repair, what happens next? and how do I locate which files to rescue etc...

many thanks

donizme

Give me a minute, I am looking to my own DVD to do a fake repair

So I can tell the you the steps to follow.

Ok,

Now I did it.

Please follow the following steps :

1- insert your DVD in your reader

2- restart your computer 

3- when it reboot, click on "del" to access your BIOS settings (it could be F8 or escape on your computer)

4- go to "BOOT" tab and change the boot priority : 1st boot device = Your cdrom or dvd drive

5- exit and save the settings of the bios

6- it will automatically reboot and  ask you to click on any key to boot from the CDROM or DVD

7- click on any key

8- Now windows will begin loading its files from the DVD. You will see on the screen this message :

" Windows is loading files "

9- Now the screen will be blue (low resolution) and show a window asking you to choose time and keybord language.

10- after clicking next a second window pop up :

WINDOWS VISTA

Install now

What to know before installing windows

Repair your computer

11- click on "Repair your computer"

12- Windows will scan your HDD to search for installed OS's

13- a Window pop up " System Recovery Options" with a list of the operationg systems installed

if you have dualboot for example, it will show the two OS installed, the partitions and the location.

14- Select the operationg system to repair and click next

That is it . It will repair your OS and add the missing dll's or not registered dll's .There is no need to tell what is missing.

I hope that this will help you.

Hi Donizme,

I just want to add these infos to you.

to extract a file from compressed Vista files you need to use the Expand command that's part of Vista

under MS-DOS Console prompt (Click Start.Type cmd and press enter).

Use the -F switch to extract the content,

Here is an example :

make a temp directory for the expansion: D:\temp>mkdir msu 

expand the msu compressed file:

D:\temp>expand -F:* Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.msu d:\temp\msu  

The command produces the following output:

Adding d:\temp\msu\WSUSSCAN.cab to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.cab to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86-pkgProperties.txt to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.xml to Extraction Queue

Expanding Files .... 

Expanding Files Complete ... 

4 files total.

At this point, the .cab files, which contain the actual files, are still not extracted, so now run the extract command on the cab file, with the following command :

D:\temp>expand -F:* d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.cab d:\temp\msu

But in your case (Vista Sp1) : looking for MSOERT2.DLL

You will not find a cab file with MSOERT2.DL_ in it. In your source DVD, the files are compressed in a huge file located here:

"sources/install.wim" 2.4gig.

So you have three solutions :

1- Rollback to a saved last known working condition with system restore

2- Manually copy MSOERT2.DLL in \\Windows\System32 directory and register the dll with regsver32.exe

3- Repair the system with the Source dvd (here still a question about SP1, does your Source dvd include SP1?)

As you choose the last solution, please let me know if you succeed to restore your system. :)

Hi Donizme,

I just want to add these infos to you.

to extract a file from compressed Vista files you need to use the Expand command that's part of Vista

under MS-DOS Console prompt (Click Start.Type cmd and press enter).

Use the -F switch to extract the content,

Here is an example :

make a temp directory for the expansion: D:\temp>mkdir msu 

expand the msu compressed file:

D:\temp>expand -F:* Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.msu d:\temp\msu  

The command produces the following output:

Adding d:\temp\msu\WSUSSCAN.cab to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.cab to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86-pkgProperties.txt to Extraction Queue

Adding d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.xml to Extraction Queue

Expanding Files .... 

Expanding Files Complete ... 

4 files total.

At this point, the .cab files, which contain the actual files, are still not extracted, so now run the extract command on the cab file, with the following command :

D:\temp>expand -F:* d:\temp\msu\Windows6.0-KB929761-x86.cab d:\temp\msu

But in your case (Vista Sp1) : looking for MSOERT2.DLL

You will not find a cab file with MSOERT2.DL_ in it. In your source DVD, the files are compressed in a huge file located here:

"sources/install.wim" 2.4gig.

So you have three solutions :

1- Rollback to a saved last known working condition with system restore

2- Manually copy MSOERT2.DLL in \\Windows\System32 directory and register the dll with regsver32.exe

3- Repair the system with the Source dvd (here still a question about SP1, does your Source dvd include SP1?)

As you choose the last solution, please let me know if you succeed to restore your system. :dance2:

lol thanks for all that, I tried to do the disc repair but I couldn't find an option to replace files there, the options were: system restore, system backup or something else, but nothing to replace the MSOERT2.DLL file...

And I just realised something, that even if I have the MSOERT2.DLL file, I am still missing that component you can see in post #1 image 2.

Reinstall:

So I am just going to edit the original vista image with vLite again and try to keep these components this time! I will let u know how that turns out in a few hours...thanks for the help though I am sure I will use something u taught me in the future :sneaky:

ok thanks guys, I did edit the vista files with vLite again and there was a component can't remember name but it said in descriptions something like its not important but may be used by Microsoft products, I suspect this was indeed the thing I was missing... :dance2:

I did a reinstall and now got everything back installed and updated! (took like 4 hours to do everything!)

I just installed WLM with no problems :dance: :dance:

Edit: My vista installer got reduced to 1.2gb with vLite! vLite is a little unstable though when its working you shouldn't click it or do anything else or face the crashes!

I am happy to know that you fix your problem. :dance2:

Archived