Latest IDM Patch causes CPU overload

Avitar

SO it seems the guys at Tonec Inc. didn't lie when they said that the latest patch would break the application.

A few days ago users of this popular application were greeted with an annonying popup cautioning then against using patched versions of the program. The activation runtime was embedded in the file IDMGrHlp.exe. Recent patches to jump this instruction segment have since been found to cause CPU leaks and resource hogging, locking up CPU's with less than two cores.

screenshot_101.png

While the guys at Internet Download Manager seem to have some brilliant anti piracy scheme in order, making your program into a virus that will seize up a computer and sabotage the CPU is certainly not the way to combat piracy.

• Replies 30
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Avitar

• tezza

• emerglines

• Kanone

Top Posters In This Topic

SO it seems the guys at Tonec Inc. didn't lie when they said that the latest patch would break the application.

A few days ago users of this popular application were greeted with an annonying popup cautioning then against using patched versions of the program. The activation runtime was embedded in the file IDMGrHlp.exe. Recent patches to jump this instruction segment have since been found to cause CPU leaks and resource hogging, locking up CPU's with less than two cores.

While the guys at Internet Download Manager seem to have some brilliant anti piracy scheme in order, making your program into a virus that will seize up a computer and sabotage the CPU is certainly not the way to combat piracy.

Please not Again Idm topic :angry:

They are Still liars

no issues here . all of the people here have been told not to use any of the emerging latest or new fixes or patches from unknown sources,

Just stick to the old ones or patched file then delete or rename the IDMGrHlp.exe damn file and that's it no more headaches

if you use new patch or crack or any hacktivator that are made by Tonec it self to break your system it's your fault !!!

Edited by nanoman

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about as it is in absolutely no way a "virus".

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about as it is in absolutely no way a "virus".

and you do huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

Viruses often perform some type of harmful activity on infected hosts, such as stealing hard disk space or CPU time

Secondly:

screenshot_102.png

Now shut up

and stop attacking me... I know what I'm talking about and I'm doing this for everyone's good. I'm certainly not a noob and I reproach you for calling me a such.

Edited by Avitar

Here's a copy of the patch I used by Progressive:

http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/760b2749

Patch or crack, credit always important.

you just talking some patch...

Yes, I'm hoping that people don't use the patch by Progressive as it will give the same problems. This thread is posted as "news" to inform them as such. The developers themselves went out of their way with IDMGrHlp to warn users about this patch.

Move on to EagleGet already.

I tried that software already... It was so lame and slow in downloading files, I uninstalled it and moved back to IDM.

Move on to EagleGet already.

I tried that software already... It was so lame and slow in downloading files, I uninstalled it and moved back to IDM.

Works just fine with me!

Give us a feedback if everything turns okay :)

This patch seems to work okay. No CPU intensive elevation found so far. i'll need more time to see after a few reboots and such.

Works just fine with me!

But it's slower than IDM. Trust me on this one. IDM goes over your internet limit. EagleGet can not. But the GET commands do slow down IDM considerably toward the end of the download.

But it's slower than IDM. Trust me on this one. IDM goes over your internet limit. EagleGet can not. But the GET commands do slow down IDM considerably toward the end of the download.

said enough :lol:

IDM always show a little bit pumped transfer rate (marketing for naive people), you can measure it and don't trust every info what you see in some program window

what show that screenshot you posted? :lol:

GRiM was right

Edited by xanax

tezza said

Ask him about StartisBack as a lot of members waiting for fix

Well the author changed his protection scheme. The files are now digitally signed, plus he introduced some more checking. I always cracked this app on my own, but this time it's not an easy task and quite time consuming. So for me personally, I now just use Classic Shell or Start8 or last version 1.0.4.

Summer is coming here, so I'd have some more time for the outside :-)

Edited by TShadow

Well the author changed his protection scheme. The files are now digitally signed, plus he introduced some more checking. I always cracked this app on my own, but this time it's not an easy task and quite time consuming. So for me personally, I now just use Classic Shell or Start8 or last version 1.0.4.

Summer is coming here, so I'd have some more time for the outside :-)

Yes, had forgotten it is digitally signed now, glad i have legit key :D