WinXP Pro: Removing 10 connections limit on shared folders (LAN)

Jota.Ce

When you share a folder to your local network, you can set the maximum number of users that can access there.

Maximum number, though, is 10 users in Windows XP Pro.

I've been said it's a MChoff strategy to sell Server versions, and i don't doubt it's true.

But... is there a patch that can solve that situation ?

You can share a copy of the folder, but it'd be useful if you could share the same folder for 100 people for example...

I think (at 99%) this problem isn't related to the 10 connections limit of TCP, which does have several patches.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

How many users are actually attempting to connect to these folders? Is it really more than 10?

It might help to disable null sessions: link

I'd like about 25, but at least 15 (IT teacher).

We have W2000 Server (full of shit softwares) but it's a pain how it sloooooooooooooooowly boots, and how it works, i've seen 15-20 BSODs in half year.

I'd like to install an XP, but 10 connections limit is a serious issue here.

But i think there should be a patch to solve this... as there's a crack fro everything xDDD

Sorry, i need concurrent connections, so there's no way of improving WinXP, but a Win Server (which i personally hate).

Thanks anyway for your help here ;)

• Administrator

Really Mapping a WebDAV folder as a network drive letter should help you in this case.

If a WebDAV "client" must be deployed over LAN (don't know), too many installations.

If access isn't transparent for user (i.e. from Windows File Explorer), too hard for them (¬¬, but things are that way).

I only wanted to change the minimum amount of things (the OS of main computer). The best part in this history is all PCs have WinXP, except mine ¬¬, which acts as a "server" for very tiny things (sometimes as a file server, some times as a printer server).

But thanks again ;)

• Administrator

You are creating a network drive - there isn't any additional software needed for the client machines.

Then i'll research in that direction since i don't know much about WebDAV protocol.

Thanks ;)

Archived