• Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DKT27

• janedoe

• jalaffa

• Blackbird52

Thanks for the update. Do yo deleted Speedyfox link in the post? Also the changelog post to beta release

that's new and beautiful too

Vji5t5G.jpg

thanks for the update

That's the only noticeable change in this version.. :lol:

Thanks for the update. Do yo deleted Speedyfox link in the post? Also the changelog post to beta release

oops!

But on second thought I don't think that Speedyfox deserves a place in the listing for Firefox. Also the changelog page was updated by them now.

For some reason Mozilla have split the tools for Find in page (CTRL+F) half one side, half to the other.

Not just bad design but pointless. I'm getting fed up with Firefox :(

I didn't like that. I think Speedyfox deserves a place in there

Speedyfox is useful not only for Firefox but also for other browsers like Google Chrome , Opera .

Skype and Thunderbird too.

Edited by jofre

For some reason Mozilla have split the tools for Find in page (CTRL+F) half one side, half to the other. Not just bad design but pointless. I'm getting fed up with Firefox :(

Wow, just spotted this too. What's wrong with them? If they're busy wasting time on such stupid things and just switching UI elements around, no wonder the bigger bugs and performance issues never get addressed. :angry: Looks to me like Mozilla's employees are simply trying to justify their pay and even if they have no work they have to cook something up quickly for every single rapid release. How I wish they'd stop aping Google for once (the upcoming Australis UI being a perfect example) and focus on improving the core experience instead of tending to trivial matters like this that provide no benefit whatsoever.

• Administrator

I personally find both the new search bar and yet to try Australis a very useful and important improvement. You can't have a browser that has the speed of latest year and the looks of two years ago.

I personally find both the new search bar and yet to try Australis a very useful and important improvement.

I'm genuinely interested - would you mind telling us how you find the search bar options being split up to be a major usability improvement, as opposed to them being logically grouped together and being accessible quicker using the mouse? (Also, it would be nice if you can actually try Australis for a while before going so far as to term it "a very useful and important improvement" simply by looking at some screenshots.)

You can't have a browser that has the speed of latest year and the looks of two years ago.

See, this is where I think you're wrong. Beauty is completely in the eye of the beholder, and just because something is shiny and new doesn't automatically make it better. I'm all for core browser engine and security related advancements, but why should the UI necessarily be tinkered with? (Doesn't mean it can never be improved, but neither this nor Australis count as an improvement.) IMO there's this feeling many people (especially belonging to the younger generation with fleeting attention spans) have that just because something has looked a certain way for some time it is automatically outdated and needs to be refreshed, even though it might be superior in terms of usability. Browser speed and looks have absolutely no correlation whatsoever, and there's no reason we can't have a modern speedy browser without compromising and dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator by hiding advanced options or "simplifying" the UI to such a ridiculous extent.

Edited by janedoe

• Administrator

I personally find both the new search bar and yet to try Australis a very useful and important improvement.

I'm genuinely interested - would you mind telling us how you find the search bar options being split up to be a major usability improvement, as opposed to them being logically grouped together and being accessible quicker using the mouse? (Also, it would be nice if you can actually try Australis for a while before going so far as to term it "a very useful and important improvement" simply by looking at some screenshots.)

You can't have a browser that has the speed of latest year and the looks of two years ago.

See, this is where I think you're wrong. Beauty is completely in the eye of the beholder, and just because something is shiny and new doesn't automatically make it better. I'm all for core browser engine and security related advancements, but why should the UI necessarily be tinkered with? (Doesn't mean it can never be improved, but neither this nor Australis count as an improvement.) IMO there's this feeling many people (especially belonging to the younger generation with fleeting attention spans) have that just because something has looked a certain way for some time it is automatically outdated and needs to be refreshed, even though it might be superior in terms of usability. Browser speed and looks have absolutely no correlation whatsoever, and there's no reason we can't have a modern speedy browser without compromising and dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator by hiding advanced options or "simplifying" the UI to such a ridiculous extent.

Sure. One of the biggiest problems I faced in the old Search bar was it's close button. It was set right above the close button of the addons bar. Due to that, I used to regularly click on the close button of the addons bar. And then, required to go into the Firefox button options and re-enable it again. While it's a small thing, it was really annoying as it happened frequently. The new bar comes with a close button to the most right corner of the bar, so I see it as a good change.

Then comes the main search field. In it, it comes with Find in page written in it, indicating that one can write on that field to search on the page. Unlike the previous one, which only had a Find button next to the field, which may even confuse some noobs as some sort of google search bar. :P

Then the next / previous buttons. The new bar removes the Next and Previous text and sticks to just buttons. This streamlines and cleans the looks of the bar. IMO, the find bar looks way more better now.

Highlight button is now placed on the way right. Which, I will admit, is kinda wrong. Highlight button could or should have been next to the next and previous buttons, however, the bar would have looked congested again.

Then it removes all the icons from the bar. The icons, which were eye candy when they were introduced, are not longer required as the design of current times is to make everything simpler.

You can find more information here.

Now about Australis.

I'll let you know that I'm following Australis from a long long time now. I'm known to and have seen each and every improvement it has to offer, which is not limited to just screenshots. I'll even go on to say that I know more about Australis than anyone who is yet to try it.

As you say, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why do you feel that Australis doesn't count as a beauty in other's eyes? You may not like it, but others may. So why the statement that Australis can't be counted as an improvement? Why do you feel that something newer has to be inferior? I'm optimistic about the changes, but it seems that certain people, including you and ghacks author, seems to have a prejudice against any UI change that Firefox or any other softwares has to offer.

If you don't know or remember. When Firefox 4.0 was released with the new interface. Majority of the users loved it. But it wasn't the case with all. Some people just ranted on the new interface. The same is happening now.

There are ample amount of proofs and specifications available that states that this new redesign brings in a lots of improvements both functionality wise and looks wise, that, which isn't limited to and is far beyond just Chrome like looks or tabs. But still, people always find reasons to complain about it.

For your information. Many of the decision makers at Firefox do not belong to the younger generations nor have any small attention spans. In addition to that, the younger generation which you seem to not have a high opinion about, runs the internet. This is not just limited to internet users, but site admins, browser contributors and even big time organization founders.

Now the reason a change is required is because of the browsers moving forward. Web browsers is currently one of the most competitive market after, lets say, mobile handsets. That's not it, it is also one of the most fast moving field. So in such a competitive and fast moving browser world, can Firefox afford to stay back and stick to the old design? I don't think so. Innovation and adapting to the time marks excellence of changing to the requirements and tries to offer what is newest and better.

If you know the code and language of Firefox, you will see that the browser speed and the looks has a lot to do with each other. This is not just limited to just feeling of speed, but actual resource usage, actual page opening speeds and a lots of other things.

Sure. One of the biggiest problems I faced in the old Search bar was it's close button. It was set right above the close button of the addons bar. Due to that, I used to regularly click on the close button of the addons bar. And then, required to go into the Firefox button options and re-enable it again. While it's a small thing, it was really annoying as it happened frequently. The new bar comes with a close button to the most right corner of the bar, so I see it as a good change.

First of all the add-on bar is easy to show or hide using Ctrl+/. I normally keep it hidden but whenever I want to access something like Firebug or ABP's options I just press that key combo to display it. Next, repeatedly closing the wrong bar by mistake I would say is your problem and not a general one, but nevertheless did you know that the add-on bar look is customizable? For example, you can easily move the close button to the right as shown below:

FzF9FMf.png

So all it would have taken is a mere 2s to switch the location of the add-on bar's close button to solve your issue.

Then comes the main search field. In it, it comes with Find in page written in it, indicating that one can write on that field to search on the page. Unlike the previous one, which only had a Find button next to the field, which may even confuse some noobs as some sort of google search bar. :P

Really?! You're saying that there are people so brain-dead that after pressing Ctrl+F (which they somehow know about) on a page and being presented with a blank text input box they are clueless as to how to proceed? Even after typing something once to see what it does? Wow... :blink: Well in that case for such clueless idiots I have no problem with "Find in page" being included in the box. No complaints against this minor change although your justification for it seems entirely contrived to me.

Then the next / previous buttons. The new bar removes the Next and Previous text and sticks to just buttons. This streamlines and cleans the looks of the bar. IMO, the find bar looks way more better now.

You seem to think removal of text is a fantastic change for the better, but have you considered visually-challenged people using screen readers for whom that text being present is immensely helpful since it can be read out loud, as opposed to plain dumb icons? If people are so enamored with text removal, why not provide an option for this, as has been present for ages for the toolbar?

h8xxP4m.png

Also, reducing the hit area by removing the text makes it difficult for people, especially those with fat fingers, to reliably and easily use those buttons on a touchscreen as opposed to the older bigger buttons.

Highlight button is now placed on the way right. Which, I will admit, is kinda wrong. Highlight button could or should have been next to the next and previous buttons, however, the bar would have looked congested again.

You say "congested", I say "locally grouped together", and quicker to access using the mouse instead of having to move the cursor from one end of the screen to the other and back (try it on a big monitor and see how irritating that is BTW).

Then it removes all the icons from the bar. The icons, which were eye candy when they were introduced, are not longer required as the design of current times is to make everything simpler.

Again it's all about removal of choice and dumbing down/simplification, which IMO is not equal to improvement always. See my point above about customizability - why not offer the option to users whether they want to see the button text or icons?

I'll let you know that I'm following Australis from a long long time now. I'm known to and have seen each and every improvement it has to offer, which is not limited to just screenshots. I'll even go on to say that I know more about Australis than anyone who is yet to try it.

Well it's good to know that you aren't as ignorant about Australis as some others who are championing it wihout even giving it a whirl for an extended period. Still, actual usage always beats reading others' opinions about how great or bad something is. You might of course still love it when you try it (especially if your mind's already made up), but at least you can honestly state that the choice stems from real experience rather than theoretical knowledge.

As you say, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why do you feel that Australis doesn't count as a beauty in other's eyes? You may not like it, but others may. So why the statement that Australis can't be counted as an improvement? Why do you feel that something newer has to be inferior? I'm optimistic about the changes, but it seems that certain people, including you and ghacks author, seems to have a prejudice against any UI change that Firefox or any other softwares has to offer.

If you don't know or remember. When Firefox 4.0 was released with the new interface. Majority of the users loved it. But it wasn't the case with all. Some people just ranted on the new interface. The same is happening now.

Well obviously Australis counts as being some sort of epitome of beautiful design in the eyes of some, which is why they are so gung-ho about it. I don't remember ever stating that the redesign is useless for everyone in the world, but certainly I am not a minority of one when I say that it offers no discernible benefits over the current design. Also I never said that newer always equates to being inferior, but my point was that actual usablitity improvements are always possible but IMO Australis does not count as such. BTW, I do not expect to prefix every sentence with "IMO" - it's obviously to be taken for granted that I am airing my own opinions and not claiming to speak for everyone.

I don't know about the ghacks author, but regarding me having "a prejudice against any UI change that Firefox or any other softwares has to offer", I don't think you know me well enough to make such a sweeping statement. I know this may come as a shock to you and others, but I have no problems with the new Win8 Start Screen that so many are dead set against. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth and claim that I am some sort of recalcitrant Luddite who blindly opposes UI changes in every program.

What I am against is change simply for the sake of change, and those dumb people who think anything with a fresh coat of paint is automatically improved, actual usability be damned. Those are the people who blindly flock to buy every year's "new and improved" model of anything (sending the manufacturer laughing to the bank) when all it has really is minor changes or even regressions over the previous design. Those are the people that Mozilla seems to be targeting in a vain attempt to garner more users. Taking away features that already exist and work fine and simplifying the UI does not constitute an improvement, especially when it comes to power users. Nor will it automatically lead to a massive uptick in new users, so if that's the reason behind Mozilla doing this then I'm sorry but they're in for a rude shock. Perhaps they're desperate due to loss of market share, but whatever the reason be blindly pushing through such changes will only alienate many of their existing loyal users and push them away to alternatives.

See it all comes down to choice (and the denial of choice) in the end, and before anyone says it add-ons are not a viable solution to replace lost core features. If all they want to do is tinker with the UI, then they should release a separate optional Australis skin for the browser. Like I said, I have no problems with internal core engine and security improvements - it is the constant misguided tinkering with the UI that irritates me. I am ready to be persuaded to move on to a different look altogether, but nothing about Australis so far convinces me that it makes my browser experience better than it already is at present. That said, why should I move on to something that actually degrades my experience and is worse in terms of usability, and forces me to make the browser even more bloated to add back functionality that was present and working fine earlier?

As for "ranting on the new interface", ranting without a basis is as idiotic as embracing change without a compelling reason to do so, plus it's easy to claim that people with an opposing viewpoint are ranting and ignore their valid points. I do try my best not to indulge in either. :)

There are ample amount of proofs and specifications available that states that this new redesign brings in a lots of improvements both functionality wise and looks wise, that, which isn't limited to and is far beyond just Chrome like looks or tabs. But still, people always find reasons to complain about it.

No matter what anyone claims, there are no "proofs" and there never will be. When it comes to something as subjective as ease of use and looks you can never prove that something is better for everyone. Just because someone says something is better why should I (or even you) blindly believe them? Are you honestly telling me you have never disagreed with any UI change that any company has implemented, ever? I'm not just talking of software either, but about computer and non-computer hardware too. Surely there was a new model of car or pen or anything for that matter that you did not like? Unless they were cynically doing it just to fool users and profit from their gullibility, don't you think the people behind the change are convinced that the redesign is amazing? Then how come you didn't like it? What if those people try to show you some "specifications" that state or "prove" that the new design is better for you? Will you simply accept what they say and stop hating the new design, even though you as the end user don't really like it? What if you as the end user were given no choice and the new design you think is crap was forced on you? And if you chose to speak out against it, what would you think if you were branded as someone who does nothing except unreasonably complain against every change? Think about it...

This is not just limited to internet users, but site admins, browser contributors and even big time organization founders.

Right, but can you tell me how many of those stake holders are actually having their voices heard when it comes to such breaking changes? Ultimately, all we as end users can do is speak out and hope for the best, or else express our displeasure and vote by switching to alternatives. Nothing forces companies to change tack as quickly as loss of market share, let me tell you.

Now the reason a change is required is because of the browsers moving forward. Web browsers is currently one of the most competitive market after, lets say, mobile handsets. That's not it, it is also one of the most fast moving field. So in such a competitive and fast moving browser world, can Firefox afford to stay back and stick to the old design? I don't think so. Innovation and adapting to the time marks excellence of changing to the requirements and tries to offer what is newest and better.

Yes, but is it really and truly "newer and better" as you say? (We'll have to agree to disagree on this obviously.) I have already stated that if Mozilla thinks there will be a huge new swarm of users who will love the new looks and start using Firefox purely because of this, it couldn't be more wrong. If I wanted a browser that looks increasingly like Chrome, why wouldn't I switch to the real deal instead of using a pale shadow that performs worse? I believe they should keep the current looks, provide an Australis skin if they must, and stop removing/hiding useful features and options! :angry: Focussing on improving the browser's resource usage, stability and security, reducing bloat (but not features, have to keep repeating this) and making other core improvements will be far more useful and attract far more users than making futile attempts to repeatedly put lipstick on a pig. There's only so many times that will fool (some) people.

If you know the code and language of Firefox, you will see that the browser speed and the looks has a lot to do with each other. This is not just limited to just feeling of speed, but actual resource usage, actual page opening speeds and a lots of other things.

Considering that Australis has been delayed so much because it drags down the browser's performance as opposed to the current design, forgive me if I fail to see where the proposed speed advantage lies. And even if it improves on the current performance a bit (I'll believe that when it happens) by removing all the useful options we're used to and destroying the UI, that will be a Pyrrhic victory indeed and negate what makes Firefox unique today. If and when that day comes and I want to stick with a Gecko-based browser I guess it will be either Firefox ESR for me, or perhaps Pale Moon (thank heavens for people like M. C. Straver!) which as the site states:

... will continue to use the well-known user interface, and will not be following Mozilla's move to the "Australis" user interface (by a number of people dubbed "FireChrome" because of its likeness with Google's Chrome browser interface) set to be introduced in Firefox in the later 20's versions.