How to Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and XP

geeteam

Download Windows 8.1 RTM

If you are using Windows 8 and want to upgrade to Windows 8.1, following instructions this:
1. First of all go to Start Screen and click on Store tile to launch Windows Store.
2. Now you should see information about Windows 8.1 update, just click on it and then click on Download option.
3. It'll take a few minutes in downloading and installing the required files. It might restart your system to finish the installation process.
4. Once the setup process completes, you'll be asked to complete a few steps such as accepting the license terms, customize settings, creating a user account, etc.
Finally, you'll have the brand new Windows 8.1 in your computer system.
If you can't find Windows 8.1 update listed in Windows Store, you should wait for a few hours. Since Microsoft released Windows 8.1 just a few hours back, it'll take some time to appear in all regions. So better to wait for a few hours until it appears in your country.
If you can't wait or if the update doesn't appear even after waiting for some hours, check out following steps:
1. An update "KB2871389" is required to update to Windows 8.1, so make sure this update is installed in your Windows 8 system.
To check it, open Windows Update from Control Panel or Start Screen and check for new updates. If the update has not been installed in your system yet, Windows Update will automatically detect and download it.
You can direct download and install the update using following links:
Once the update is installed successfully in your system, repeat the above mentioned steps to upgrade to Windows 8.1 through Windows Store. Now it should work without any problem.
If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 using Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant. The steps for Windows 8.1 upgrade would be same as Windows 8 upgrade, so you can check out following tutorial to learn how to use Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to Windows 8.1
If you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista, you'll need to perform a clean installation of Windows 8.1. You can't upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Edited by geeteam

• Replies 19
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geeteam

• tezza

• LiLmEgZ

• demoneye

Signatures must be equal or lower than 250px high and 750px. Signatures are limited to 10000 characters and 200kB total size. Animations and URLs are permitted.

wht do u mean guys?

It means your signature fills up an entire screen and ruins members viewing pleasure

Edited by tezza

Also keep in mind that Windows 8 Enterprise edition, Windows 8 installed using KMS activation and Windows 8 installed using MSDN ISO and activated using product key which allows multiple activation, can't be upgraded to Windows 8.1 using Windows Store.

Then where can we get windows 8.1 if not using the store?

Also keep in mind that Windows 8 Enterprise edition, Windows 8 installed using KMS activation and Windows 8 installed using MSDN ISO and activated using product key which allows multiple activation, can't be upgraded to Windows 8.1 using Windows Store.

Then where can we get windows 8.1 if not using the store?

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/184689-windows-81-rtm-all-edition-available-languages-updated-list/ ;)

Thanks for informing us about this one... I just had to notify a few friends of mine who used KMS for Win8 Pro

Okay Sorry Guys; its because I have tried it, and I haven't activated my windows using KMS activator. I always do phone activation. I don't know whether it works for you or not. You can correct me on that. Thanks...

Okay Sorry Guys; its because I have tried it, and I haven't activated my windows using KMS activator. I always do phone activation. I don't know whether it works for you or not. You can correct me on that. Thanks...

@gee ,

i much appreciate you making your signature smaller and others will to.

Thanks

:)

@gee ,

i much appreciate you making your signature smaller and others will to.

Thanks

:)

how are you sure about this "Also keep in mind that Windows 8 Enterprise edition, Windows 8 installed using KMS activation and Windows 8 installed using MSDN ISO and activated using product key which allows multiple activation, can't be upgraded to Windows 8.1 using Windows Store." pls lemme know so that i can edit my post.

Thanks for informing us about this one... I just had to notify a few friends of mine who used KMS for Win8 Pro

why do you prefer using KMS over Phone activation using retail keys?

why do you prefer using KMS over Phone activation using retail keys?

KMS is local activation dude... its much safer :)

Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Store, upgrade on Windows 8 Pro WMC which was previously KMS + WMC upgrade key activated

What this post is about

A procedure for creating a set of generic activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) for Windows 8.1 Pro WMC. Using these tokens allows the installation and activation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC if you have a Pro WMC upgrade key, without the need for a Windows 8/8.1 Pro key. Generic in this case means that the tokens don't contain any personally identifiable information or product keys except general/default ones.

What this is NOT about

Using this procedure does NOT allow you to:

* activate Windows 8.1 Enterprise

* activate Windows 8.1 Pro (without WMC)

* activate Windows 8.1 Pro WMC without a WMC upgrade key

* activate with an unused WMC upgrade key from the free promotion from 2012 (probably, untested)

* reuse the same WMC upgrade key on several computers

If you are reusing a previously activated WMC upgrade key, it can only be reused on the identical computer that it was previously activated on.

Where the idea is from

When you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store, you are not asked to reenter your product key. The upgrade process can therefore migrate the activation tokens from v1 used in Windows 8 to v2 used in Windows 8.1. At the same time, several people posted saying that they successfully upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Store, even though they were doing the upgrade on Windows 8 Pro WMC which was previously KMS + WMC upgrade key activated, and the system staid activated. We must therefore conclude that

a) the upgrade process is able to migrate v1 tokens to v2 even if no retail Pro key was used

b) the resulting v2 tokens accept a WMC upgrade key

Required ingredients

* Windows 8 Pro retail ISO (for example, en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso from MSDN)

* Microsoft Toolkit (for example, v2.4.9)

* KB2871389 update from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871389 , matching your system (x86/x64) (this is the only update necessary to make the Windows 8.1 upgrade visible in the Windows Store)

The procedure (duration 1.5+ hours depending on Internet speed)

(the use of a Virtual Machine is highly recommended)

0) Disconnect from the Internet

1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4

2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit

3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW

4) Install the KB2871389 update

5) Connect to the Internet

6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade

7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap

8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete

The result

You will find a set of activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0. Stop SPPSVC, then take a copy of them (data.dat is a hidden file). These are the tokens you are looking for.

What you can do with the tokens (tested and confirmed to work)

For example, you have a WMC upgrade key that you previously used in Windows 8. On the same PC, you can make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC, insert the tokens you just created, and enter your WMC upgrade key. The key will be accepted and the system is activatable. Sample procedure:

1) Install Windows 8.1 Pro with default key ending C9WKB

2) Upgrade to WMC using default key ending JK7QT

3) Stop SPPSVC

4) Overwrite the files in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0 with the tokens created above

5) Insert your WMC upgrade key with "slmgr /ipk wmc-upgrade-key" from elevated command prompt

6) If the WMC upgrade key matches the PC, you can activate online

Conclusion

The above procedure results in a set of generic activation tokens, which can be inserted into a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC (or Windows 8.1 Pro upgraded to WMC), without the need for a Pro key. The system will accept a WMC upgrade key and will activate, provided that the key used matches the PC. It is therefore possible to install and activate Windows 8.1 Pro WMC with nothing but a WMC upgrade key. The tokens contain no personally identifiable information and can in theory be safely shared.

Credits Kelorgo

Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Store, upgrade on Windows 8 Pro WMC which was previously KMS + WMC upgrade key activated

What this post is about

A procedure for creating a set of generic activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) for Windows 8.1 Pro WMC. Using these tokens allows the installation and activation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC if you have a Pro WMC upgrade key, without the need for a Windows 8/8.1 Pro key. Generic in this case means that the tokens don't contain any personally identifiable information or product keys except general/default ones.

What this is NOT about

Using this procedure does NOT allow you to:

* activate Windows 8.1 Enterprise

* activate Windows 8.1 Pro (without WMC)

* activate Windows 8.1 Pro WMC without a WMC upgrade key

* activate with an unused WMC upgrade key from the free promotion from 2012 (probably, untested)

* reuse the same WMC upgrade key on several computers

If you are reusing a previously activated WMC upgrade key, it can only be reused on the identical computer that it was previously activated on.

Where the idea is from

When you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store, you are not asked to reenter your product key. The upgrade process can therefore migrate the activation tokens from v1 used in Windows 8 to v2 used in Windows 8.1. At the same time, several people posted saying that they successfully upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Store, even though they were doing the upgrade on Windows 8 Pro WMC which was previously KMS + WMC upgrade key activated, and the system staid activated. We must therefore conclude that

a) the upgrade process is able to migrate v1 tokens to v2 even if no retail Pro key was used

B) the resulting v2 tokens accept a WMC upgrade key

Required ingredients

* Windows 8 Pro retail ISO (for example, en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso from MSDN)

* Microsoft Toolkit (for example, v2.4.9)

* KB2871389 update from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871389 , matching your system (x86/x64) (this is the only update necessary to make the Windows 8.1 upgrade visible in the Windows Store)

The procedure (duration 1.5+ hours depending on Internet speed)

(the use of a Virtual Machine is highly recommended)

0) Disconnect from the Internet

1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4

2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit

3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW

4) Install the KB2871389 update

5) Connect to the Internet

6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade

7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap

8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete

The result

You will find a set of activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0. Stop SPPSVC, then take a copy of them (data.dat is a hidden file). These are the tokens you are looking for.

What you can do with the tokens (tested and confirmed to work)

For example, you have a WMC upgrade key that you previously used in Windows 8. On the same PC, you can make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC, insert the tokens you just created, and enter your WMC upgrade key. The key will be accepted and the system is activatable. Sample procedure:

1) Install Windows 8.1 Pro with default key ending C9WKB

2) Upgrade to WMC using default key ending JK7QT

3) Stop SPPSVC

4) Overwrite the files in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0 with the tokens created above

5) Insert your WMC upgrade key with "slmgr /ipk wmc-upgrade-key" from elevated command prompt

6) If the WMC upgrade key matches the PC, you can activate online

Conclusion

The above procedure results in a set of generic activation tokens, which can be inserted into a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC (or Windows 8.1 Pro upgraded to WMC), without the need for a Pro key. The system will accept a WMC upgrade key and will activate, provided that the key used matches the PC. It is therefore possible to install and activate Windows 8.1 Pro WMC with nothing but a WMC upgrade key. The tokens contain no personally identifiable information and can in theory be safely shared.

Credits Kelorgo

Awesome - Thanks alot

Thanks tezza , but i dont know MS i know wzor only , i know to take the wzor iso dvd put it in the dvd drive and update :D i dont know also "windows store" and stuff like that , all is a waste of time changing product key :)