Windows 8.1 download to arrive as Microsoft pins hope on revamp

emerglines

microsoft-windows-81-demo-370x229.jpg?13

Microsoft’s Windows 8.1 update will be made available for download on Thursday in the US and then on Friday across the rest of the world as the firm hopes to generate renewed interest in its latest operating system.

The update comes around a year after the initial launch of Windows 8, which failed to generate much excitement in the consumer or enterprise markets, despite a strong push by vendors and Microsoft itself to try and entice buyers with its Surface tablets.

The Windows 8.1 update attempts to address a raft of issues that came to light with the original platform, chiefly the lack of a Start button to access apps, but also other issues such as security enhancements, customisable screen tiles and Internet Explorer 11.

Microsoft has said that the update will help enterprises in numerous ways such as by solving the issue of bring your own device (BYOD), by providing employees with a platform that comes with business-level functionality and security from the off.

The firm will also be launching its Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 tablet devices next week, which will run Windows 8.1, as the firm continues to push further into the hardware market to try to rival the success of firms such as Apple and Samsung.

So far this strategy has met little success but the new features on the updated devices could prove more enticing and with the Windows 8.1 update the firm will hope it has addressed a number of concerns that buyers raised with the platform.

However, with Apple set to unveil new iPad devices, a revamped Mac OS and new MacBook Pro devices at an event next Tuesday, the Redmond firm will still face daunting opposition as it tries to claw a space in the hardware market.

Source : http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2301020/windows-81-download-to-arrive-as-microsoft-pins-hope-on-revamp

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tezza

• AlexCross

• Gamkutopolowk

• Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

friday quick format C: and go to install 8.1

Or just stay on Windows 7 and have a 100% more productive OS and PC....

friday quick format C: and go to install 8.1

Or just stay on Windows 7 and have a 100% more productive OS and PC....

I like Windows 8 and find its quicker and more productive for me. Guess it depends what you use.

Microsoft has just launched a huge update (this is most likely the GA Rollup A already leaked) for all machines running Windows 8.1 RTM, thus getting one step closer to the official launch of the new operating system.

The global rollout of 8.1 RTM from Windows Store will begin at 4 AM PDT (11 AM GMT).

( Unites States to be among the first countries to get it.)

(The official Facebook app for Windows 8 also landed in the Store today)

Edited by tezza

thanks,Is it available only in windows store ?or can we update it through windows updates too?

Personal preference-I like Windows 8.1 and dual-boot Windows 7, which I hardly use.

I recive this error when i try to update through W.Store: Your Windows 8.1 install couldn't be completed, Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 cant be completed.

Edited by AlexCross

I recive this error when i try to update through W.Store: Your Windows 8.1 install couldn't be completed, Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 cant be completed.

You are using retail key activated, so maybe just wait as servers may be overloaded.

You are using retail key activated, so maybe just wait as servers may be overloaded.

Now I managed to download it but it gives me again errors. First time it asked me to restart my PC, at startup, it asked me to select a language and then gave me an error. Then I tried 6 times more, and it gives me an error in Windows Store at the end of installation.

Edited by AlexCross

Now I managed to download it but it gives me again errors. First time it asked me to restart my PC, at startup, it asked me to select a language and then gave me an error. Then I tried 6 times more, and it gives me an error in Windows Store at the end of installation.

What error code did it give you ?

Thank you Microsoft, you have ruined my OS.

Tezza, here it is:

0xd0000225 this is in Windows Store.

So this is the screen after restart.

http://pho.to/3xTin

I was lucky that I set up a snapshot before the update.

Edited by AlexCross

Thank you Microsoft, you have ruined my OS.

Tezza, here it is:

0xd0000225 this is in Windows Store.

So this is the screen after restart.

http://pho.to/3xTin

I was lucky that I set up a snapshot before the update.

@Alex

That error code seems to be about microsoft account, having just a quick look ?