Windows 8.1 Mainstream Support to end 2018, Extended Support until 2023

geeteam

5_thumb_2B2B36DD.jpg

Windows 8.1 is set for release as a free update to current Windows 8 users on October 17th. Windows 8.1 is set to hit general availability on October 18th. But did you know that mainstream support for Windows 8.1 ends in 2018?

Those on Windows 8 will have two years to update to Windows 8.1, if they wish to be under the support lifecycle. Windows 8.1 users, on the other hand, will have Mainstream Support until 2018.

For those who like to be 'in the know,' Mainstream Support for Windows 8 ends January 9th of 2018. Mainstream Support covers paid support (per-incident, per hour, and others), security update support, non-security hotfix support, no-charge incident support, warranty claims, design changes and feature requests, product-specific information that is available by using the online Microsoft Knowledge Base, and product-specific information that is available by using the Support site at Microsoft Help and Support to find answers to technical questions.

Extended Support, which ends January 10 of 2023, covers everything listed above except you will not receive non-security hotfix support, no-charge incident support, warranty claims, or design changes and feature requests. Of course, those wishing to extend the "non-security hotfix support" can do so by purchasing an extended hotfix agreement, which must be purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.

On a side note, Surface Pro, which runs Windows 8 Pro, will receive the Windows 8.1 update on October 17th and will see Mainstream Support until July of 2017.

If you want more details on the support lifecycle, head over to the policy page.

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geeteam

• visualbuffs

• sinders

• Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they supposedly meant to be bringing back the aero glass interface

in either the next version of Windows or the next version after that?

I am 100% certain I read it somewhere that this is their

plan but can`t remember where I read it.

I hope they also bring back the Windows 7 style

start button and Start Menu.

Edited by sinders

I believe Windows 9 will come in 2015 so I don't care about 8 or 8.1 :)

100% agree , long time before 2015 windows 9 will be out in this way or another (beta) so i careless for any w8 end life time :)

w7 in 2009

w8/8.1 2012/2013

so w9 would be around 2016/2017...

8.2 / 9 will see the light of day in 2014

Terry Myerson, head of the Microsoft’s Operating Systems division, revealed during the company’s analyst meeting on Thursday that offering a common experience across all devices, be they desktops, tablets, or smartphones, is a priority right now, so a developing team is already working on it.
Myerson explained that users should be provided with the same apps no matter what Microsoft product they are using, which means that the separate app stores could be merged in the future.

According to WZOR Windows 9 will see the light of day in 2014. No other details were provided, other than the claim that Aero ( just not as we know it) would be making a comeback in Windows 9 after disappearing in Windows 8, since it was a hot feature that many avid Windows users missed but the OS will still be similar to 8.1.

Details on Windows 10 were also provided, with claims that the future operating system will be a “cloud OS,” meaning that all of the processing and computing would be done on Microsoft’s servers, and be streamed to your computer, completely eliminating the need for a powerful rig and only requiring the basic bits to run peripherals and such. Windows 10 would essentially just be a new cloud service for Microsoft, on top of Office 365 and the new Xbox Cloud on Xbox One, pushing the company further into the cloud ecosystem.

Edited by tezza

8.2 / 9 will see the light of day in 2014

Terry Myerson, head of the Microsoft’s Operating Systems division, revealed during the company’s analyst meeting on Thursday that offering a common experience across all devices, be they desktops, tablets, or smartphones, is a priority right now, so a developing team is already working on it.

Myerson explained that users should be provided with the same apps no matter what Microsoft product they are using, which means that the separate app stores could be merged in the future.

According to WZOR Windows 9 will see the light of day in 2014. No other details were provided, other than the claim that Aero ( just not as we know it) would be making a comeback in Windows 9 after disappearing in Windows 8, since it was a hot feature that many avid Windows users missed but the OS will still be similar to 8.1.

Details on Windows 10 were also provided, with claims that the future operating system will be a “cloud OS,” meaning that all of the processing and computing would be done on Microsoft’s servers, and be streamed to your computer, completely eliminating the need for a powerful rig and only requiring the basic bits to run peripherals and such. Windows 10 would essentially just be a new cloud service for Microsoft, on top of Office 365 and the new Xbox Cloud on Xbox One, pushing the company further into the cloud ecosystem.

Mmmh! Interesting update over there but i am not sure abt windows 10 to be cloud based, meaning if you dont have constant internet connection you cant use it i guess. that is when Google will dominate cos i understand google is trying to bring the android os onto the pc enviroment. well actually to my part and thinking of going the linux way... no need to know the future of Windows for now.

CloudOS, why not :wtf:

Get streamed "important" updates with some little backdoor functionality for NSA, so they can monitor and log all your files and activity, which programs you use, which websites you browse on, which games you play, which shops you visit ... maybe they know exactly when you got your last fap-adventure. They haven't learned anything from the Adobe, Windows 8 or XBOX One disaster.

There are thousands of hackers worldwide, they will have so much fun leaking personal info from Microsoft customers.

Ah, now i know why the NSA built a huge Datacenter, that makes things so much easier for them. :P

CloudOS, why not :wtf:

Get streamed "important" updates with some little backdoor functionality for NSA, so they can monitor and log all your files and activity, which programs you use, which websites you browse on, which games you play, which shops you visit ... maybe they know exactly when you got your last fap-adventure. They haven't learned anything from the Adobe, Windows 8 or XBOX One disaster.

There are thousands of hackers worldwide, they will have so much fun leaking personal info from Microsoft customers.

Ah, now i know why the NSA built a huge Datacenter, that makes things so much easier for them. :P

Yep it's called Windows Cloud9

or Microsoft Cloud9.

Edited by avmad

Yeah Whatever ... My Question is ARE WE READY?

xp will end this april 2014..

windows 7 will end on 2020

windows 8.1 will end on 2023

that's good news!

Well, supporting Windows 8 for two years and supporting 8.1 for 5 years at least is implying that maybe this 8.1 is the last update for Windows 8 branch and they make the next iteration available after this.Though they might change the idea. Nothing is unlikely with this new no-more-service-pack-world M$.

what if 9 is just 2.0 version of 8.1? :huh:

LOL!~ its could be - but lets wait and see

MidnightDistortions

Hmmm.. I remember that I read an article somewhere that Windows 9 will be more like Windows 8, more like touch and shit..

It's hard to say considering enough users didn't like Windows 8, guess 8.1 will determine whether the OS gets more adoption but those who refused to upgrade to W8, downgraded to W7 most likely won't be getting 8.1 but we'll see, if MS goes in the direction of Windows 8 or they will go back to W7 that will only separate users. If MS wants to continue being on top they are going to have to appeal to both sides. Also attitude is everything, if some people don't like a certain feature or miss a certain feature, "Adapt! Get used to it!" is not going to bring people in, it's only going to push them further away. I don't really care what MS is doing now, i am fine with XP, Windows 7 and Linux. I would much rather use one OS but MS would rather change the UI around rather then working on a single OS. They did good with XP, all my stuff works with it and while W7 is doing good with most i'd rather keep an XP machine around just in case.